PDA

View Full Version : My New Mule

Robert Vigurs
14-Apr-2011, 18:57
I have found recently, that to go shoot from Santa Cruz, just up the coast, north, a ways, my fuel costs are more than film! With shooting planned in the Southwest this year, I needed a more cost efficient means of travel. So the new "mule" enters the "picture". My new to me, 1982 BMW R100. I know I can pack the 4x5, and most likely the 5x7. The large G glass on the 8x10 I would worry about, but I'll see. Sure to be an adventure, at 40 miles per gallon.

Ari
14-Apr-2011, 20:19
Great idea, and the R100 is as solid as they come.
You are presently my hero, but I can be fickle :)

Roger Cole
14-Apr-2011, 21:10
Nice bike but...only 40 mpg? My Mazda3 iTouring consistently gets 32-35 overall (manual transmission.)

Don't get me wrong, I think photo touring by motorcycle would be tremendous fun and adventure, but if I just wanted to save on gas I'd get a cheap (highly used but functional) fuel efficient car and pack lots more and not worry about a big GG I wanted to take.

Ron McElroy
14-Apr-2011, 21:13
That's a way cool airhead. I used to have a R75/5. Be sure to pad you gear well as the vibrations of a M/C can work all sorts of screws loose.

John Jarosz
15-Apr-2011, 04:40
I have a '79 R80/7. They are very simple very reliable bikes. There are very few things on it that cannot be fixed on the side of the road if necessary.

If you plan to work on it yourself I can suggest that you search out the Airheads (http://www.airheads.org/content/view/21/46/) email list where common problems, fixes, etc are discussed on a daily basis. You can also find recommendations for shops to do the work if you don't want to. There are 4 or 5 BMW mechanics that provide expertise free to anyone who will listen. It is a stone-age organization that is an email based text only list. Highly recommended nonetheless.

I don't think my 8x20 will fit on it though. :D

John

Vlad Soare
15-Apr-2011, 05:07
Only 40 miles per gallon? That's just a tiny, tiny bit more than what my car does. It doesn't look like much economy to me... :confused:
Unless you're scaling down from a 6 liter V8 muscle car, in which case I agree, you'll save a lot of money. :D
But it certainly is a nice looking bike.

goamules
15-Apr-2011, 05:42
Great bike. I had a BMW R80 for 10 years...rode it down Baja, took the ferry across to Mazatlan, continued south. Spent about 6 weeks in Mexico and drove it coast to coast, and on many great trips. They are bulletproof. My new mules are not....they're real mules!

Henry Ambrose
15-Apr-2011, 05:45
I had one of those, but an '81 model.
Great bikes.

Daniel Stone
15-Apr-2011, 08:09
it certainly is a very noble looking steed!

ride safely!

-Dan

rguinter
15-Apr-2011, 08:57
I have found recently, that to go shoot from Santa Cruz, just up the coast, north, a ways, my fuel costs are more than film! With shooting planned in the Southwest this year, I needed a more cost efficient means of travel. So the new "mule" enters the "picture". My new to me, 1982 BMW R100. I know I can pack the 4x5, and most likely the 5x7. The large G glass on the 8x10 I would worry about, but I'll see. Sure to be an adventure, at 40 miles per gallon.

I've been riding motorcycles since I was licensed in 1968... before Easy Rider hit the theaters.

But it's not something I would consider as a (get there) machine for photo ops.

Much better with a minivan and a rugged trail bike (i.e., bicycle) tied on the rack.

My philosophy is to keep my hobbies focused and well separated.

If you like riding then by all means ride.

But rationalizing it for photo-op access with 40 mpg seems a stretch.

My 2 cents.

Bob G.

Jim Bradley
15-Apr-2011, 09:21
Ah another Gummikuh. :D
My last ride was a 1987 R100RS
Now I’m seriously coveting a R60/2. Missed one at ~$11K and now there's antoher one listed at ~$17K:eek:
Factor in a S-500 Steib sidecar (reproduction) and I'd be looking some serious coin.

Jim

Ari
15-Apr-2011, 10:18
Who cares about mpg? It's a motorcycle.

Just make sure not to break your GGs, or use acrylic or plastic ones.

Ed Kelsey
15-Apr-2011, 10:45
I didn't realize the MPG would be that low. Heck I get 20 MPG with my V8 4Runner.

Ron McElroy
15-Apr-2011, 11:12
I've been riding motorcycles since I was licensed in 1968... before Easy Rider hit the theaters.

But it's not something I would consider as a (get there) machine for photo ops.

Much better with a minivan and a rugged trail bike (i.e., bicycle) tied on the rack.

My philosophy is to keep my hobbies focused and well separated.

If you like riding then by all means ride.

But rationalizing it for photo-op access with 40 mpg seems a stretch.

My 2 cents.

Bob G.

I like riding, but never try to use large format when doing so. I instead pack a small digital and sometimes (used to be always) a 35mm SLR. I enjoy the ride and do a little scouting for images if possible.

dsphotog
15-Apr-2011, 18:52
The best thing about cycle/photo touring, is you can stop at those tiny roadside spots where a car can't park. (priceless)
Enjoy!

Robert Vigurs
15-Apr-2011, 20:43
It is true, that for a long trip, I can pack more holders, film loading bag, etc., using my old VW Westfalia, with film in the icebox, loading at night. But, here is an example where the "mule" will serve me. There is a small town, San Gregorio, south of San Francisco. There is a shot I need to make there. It will be best done at about 4:30 pm. I can load my 4x5, dark cloth, tripod, and a number of loaded film holders, with light meters, and all else necessary, and be there to make that shot with minimal fuel cost. To some, fuel costs are never a worry. For me, I'll invest in film and paper, not Chevron.

Peter De Smidt
15-Apr-2011, 21:06
Looks like fun!

Michael Wynd
16-Apr-2011, 08:54
Robert, I got a Moto Guzzi 750 Breva last Friday and I intend to carry my 8x10 on the back with me. A friend of mine here in Australia who is also on this forum told me about using a piece of foamcore over the groundglass attached with rubber bands which is very good and very cheap. Hope this helps.
Mike

Dave Hally
16-Apr-2011, 14:59
Congratulations! I've got a couple of Airheads myself. I've done long trips with mine with a solo seat and a craven rack. I use a large soft cooler to hold all the equipment and a sack from a camp chair for the tripod. Never had any problem with vibration or theft. You should be getting more than 40mpg though. Ted Porter in Scotts Valley is great with these bikes, if you need help, or the airheads list as noted before.
Keep the shiny side up,
Dave

Rick A
18-Apr-2011, 04:59
Ah another Gummikuh. :D
My last ride was a 1987 R100RS
Now I’m seriously coveting a R60/2. Missed one at ~$11K and now there's antoher one listed at ~$17K:eek:
Factor in a S-500 Steib sidecar (reproduction) and I'd be looking some serious coin.

Jim

I'm with you on the side car, not for my gear, but for my side-kick Moose(my boxer). I might load my Mamiya C-330 and a couple of lenses in a pannier tho...

Thebes
18-Apr-2011, 15:32
Now you all have me considering getting a bike for my midlife crisis.

I can see the sensibility of it for photographic trips, in a way. I hesitate to take our "family car" down really nasty roads, worried I will break it in some inopportune place. A dual-sport bike could get more places, with less risk to the pocket, on a third of the gas our suv slurps.

Ron McElroy
18-Apr-2011, 16:50

I can see the sensibility of it for photographic trips, in a way. I hesitate to take our "family car" down really nasty roads, worried I will break it in some inopportune place. A dual-sport bike could get more places, with less risk to the pocket, on a third of the gas our suv slurps.

One think to remember about rough road riding is the gravity pull of the ground increases with the roughess of the road. Oh and its best done with a riding partner to help pickup the bike and fix flats.

rguinter
21-Apr-2011, 09:37
I like riding, but never try to use large format when doing so. I instead pack a small digital and sometimes (used to be always) a 35mm SLR. I enjoy the ride and do a little scouting for images if possible.

Ron:

I see you may be the only one to agree with my original post.

I sense a bit too much "airhead" nonsense in this thread.

Motorcycles are motorcycles and a d@m lot of fun. But "airhead" nonsense to consider them for LF photography field trips in my opinion. And rationalizing with 40mpg, or planning to ride a road-bike into 4WD off-road territory is just plain ridiculous.

A good newer car will get close to this mileage and give you a lot more carrying power and safety on the way.

My suggestion is to invest in a good quality trail-bicycle. Strap it to the back of your "get there" 4-wheel vehicle. Park the vehicle in a safe place nearby and bicycle-in the rest of the way to where you need to go. I can carry most of my 4x5 kit in a backpack... and would probably do the same (albeit with a few less lenses) if I were doing 8x10.

But if you're trying to convince me (a more than 40-year experienced motorcycle rider) that your new "mule" as you say is great for photo-ops... frankly you're just not very convincing. And your "airhead" posting buddies aren't helping you see clearly.

Bob G.

Scott Davis
21-Apr-2011, 09:49
If you want a bike for off-road photo exploration, THIS is what you need...

http://www.imz-ural.com/taiga/

Sidecar, two wheel drive. Built like a T-34 tank.

rguinter
21-Apr-2011, 09:55
If you want a bike for off-road photo exploration, THIS is what you need...

http://www.imz-ural.com/taiga/

Sidecar, two wheel drive. Built like a T-34 tank.

Sure looks like it's built like a tank.

But I still vote against. Just not a safe and sensible way to go.

Here's a much better suggestion.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain_hardtail/

Bob G.

Scott Davis
21-Apr-2011, 09:58
But... but... but... they even come equipped with their own accessory extractor shovels! :D

Randy
21-Apr-2011, 11:50
I used to carry my 4X5 gear in a trailer behind my Honda Goldwing...till it broke down. Have been trying to figure a way to adapt a trailer-hitch to my Suzuki SV650 (kind of a bare-bones sport bike). The Goldwing got about 40mpg, the Suzuki gets 55 around town. The trailer would be a necessity since my 4X5 is long gone and I now shoot 8X10.

goamules
21-Apr-2011, 11:53
Ron:

I see you may be the only one to agree with my original post.

I sense a bit too much "airhead" nonsense in this thread.

Motorcycles are motorcycles and a d@m lot of fun. But "airhead" nonsense to consider them for LF photography field trips in my opinion. And rationalizing with 40mpg, or planning to ride a road-bike into 4WD off-road territory is just plain ridiculous.

A good newer car will get close to this mileage and give you a lot more carrying power and safety on the way.

My suggestion is to invest in a good quality trail-bicycle. Strap it to the back of your "get there" 4-wheel vehicle. Park the vehicle in a safe place nearby and bicycle-in the rest of the way to where you need to go. I can carry most of my 4x5 kit in a backpack... and would probably do the same (albeit with a few less lenses) if I were doing 8x10.

But if you're trying to convince me (a more than 40-year experienced motorcycle rider) that your new "mule" as you say is great for photo-ops... frankly you're just not very convincing. And your "airhead" posting buddies aren't helping you see clearly.

Bob G.

Dude, he's not trying to convince you. Why are you trying to convince everyone else it's a bad choice? I used to take my BMW R80 on some rough roads I'd never take a minivan on. To each his own. Trying to discuss the rationale of having a motorcycle for LF is pretty ironic, considering that LF is so eclectic and unpopular. Some people do some obscure things because it's....different. Let him have his fun. I think I'll get a hang glider to shoot aerial LF wetplate....

Jay DeFehr
21-Apr-2011, 11:58
Here's my new mule. It's not a freeway machine, for sure, but it has other charms and advantages over real motorcycles. I don't need a license or insurance, I can park anywhere in Seattle RZP areas without a permit, I get about 100mpg, and I can park it in my kitchen when I'm out of town. I want to build/adapt a little bicycle-type trailer to haul my gear.

Thebes
21-Apr-2011, 13:47
Trying to drive a 40mpg economy car down NM dirt roads isn't practical and certainly isn't economical. Within a half hour drive of my home there are only 3 paved roads and one is pretty rough. It might be practical for others, but not for me in the rural South West.

My biggest problems offroad in NM are where to pull it out of the "road" (dry grasses and sage are a fire hazard with a hot exhaust), and how to turn it around when the going gets too rough. I probably wouldn't choose a heavy BMW airhead, but a 250 dual sport will go places my Rangie won't (and vice versa).

A light dual sport could be turned around within its own length if unmounted. If it breaks someplace nasty, it could be rolled out or wrenched into pieces and carried to a pickup for rescue. A broken SUV might have to be fixed in situ, and the vehicle would be subject to vandalism if left blocking the way.

I'm not trying to talk anyone into anything. A motorcycle off-road is more dangerous than an economy car on the highway. Mountain biking and horse riding are pretty dangerous too. I had a friend who died hiking the AT. Photojournalists run towards danger and sometimes die for it. I see no reason that people can't safely balance the danger they choose to face with whatever adventure they seek.

John Koehrer
24-Apr-2011, 14:44
An airhead isn't all that much heavier at about 420# dry weight than your dual sport.
If you can afford it get a Uni-Go trailer. Custom hitches are a couple hundred bucks.

joselsgil
24-Apr-2011, 15:35
Robert, are you planning on adding a top trunk to the bike? Some of the heavy duty off road gear from Touratech is very nice but $$$.
How are you planning on caring the tripod? Just curious as I am considering this transportation option. However, I am a little worried caring an 8X10 on the bike. I have carried digital (there goes that word again), 35mm and MF on road trips. I haven't attempted LF cameras just yet.
Considering fuel hitting $5 a gallon this summer, packing gear on my touring bike that gets 40+ mpg vs. 20 mpg in my Volvo wagon is tempting.

Greg Blank
24-Apr-2011, 18:52
I would be very careful in the descision. I am 47 now but three years ago bought a Gaint Cyprus DX. Not a mountain bike nor a racing bike. Two years ago I was road riding and got thrown over the handle bars. I swear I fractured both wrists comming down but because I have terrible health insurance never got them x-rayed or set. I still have some pain and I guess given how I wrecked am lucky to be here. If I had had gear on my back maybe would not be writing now. I have biked with cameras and my 4x5 in a knapsack,.... it's not easy you certainly should go the way of saddle bags...versus a knapsack.

Robert Vigurs
24-Apr-2011, 19:35
I am planning on adding a top trunk for extra gear. True, I could use the bike just for scouting the shots I wish to make. This would be most economical. But why not pack my gear? The tripod is easy, across the top. The light may be most perfect at the time I am scouting a site, and if I did not have the camera, I would lose that optimum moment of exposure. I'm not young(at58), but I do have the strength any energy and desire to make adventures with my equipment. I don't need a motel. Tent will do thanks. I can protect my gear, and send exposed holders home, with pre loaded holders mailed to Whitehorse,Yukon, or Hubbell trading post AZ, on the Navajo Res. I have a good friend there. Why not? Only 100 years ago, photographers roamed the West, in wagons, with glass plates, no less! Yes, I can shoot with modern equipment on the "mule".

Robert Vigurs
24-Apr-2011, 20:49
The 8x10, is a concern.I may not be able to pack it.I use old cameras. 4x5 Korona. 5x7 Korona. 8x10 2D. Beaters........with nice glass attached! A responder to this thread did suggest a protective foam for G glass. I feel that the shutter mechanisms/springs,etc, on my archaic Schneider S lenses are hardy. I would be more concerned with a Hasselblad delicate shutter release being damaged due to vibration. Guess I'll find out. Copal shutters are simple critters. I have repaired a few. No expert though.

Frank Petronio
24-Apr-2011, 21:52
Seems kind of pointless to argue about safety to bikers. I say let Darwin sort them out.

rguinter
25-Apr-2011, 03:42
Frank:

Darwin doesn't worry me.

It's the cell-phone yapping soccer moms and New-Turks of Text that have me cutting back on my own biking time.

Bob G.

sun of sand
25-Apr-2011, 19:53
some say you catch colds being out in the rain, too

so
you better get a canopy thing attached to your new bike

time to dieeee

rguinter
6-May-2011, 11:47
some say you catch colds being out in the rain, too

so
you better get a canopy thing attached to your new bike

time to dieeee

Nonsense. You catch colds from exposure to germs.

When riding in the rain you simply "catch-cold."

Bob G.

Robert Vigurs
6-May-2011, 17:57
Will be loading the 4x5 and the old Ries tripod on the mule tomorrow for a trip up the north coast, and through the Santa Cruz mountains. The 4x5 will be fine, and 5x7 too as far as vibration, I believe. We'll see. I'll report back. Many are afraid of losing their lives on a bike. Too dangerous. Need a comfort zone. Then there are those of us who enjoy the freedom and adventure, being out in the wind.(with LF gear on the back). What better than to blend that adventure with the chance to make a great image. I admire A.A. for his images, and expertise, and teaching, but also his knack to set up fast,load,and shoot. Let's see. Kickstand down, tripod up with camera, meter, focus, shoot. Life is supposed to be a joy, right? Robert

John Jarosz
6-May-2011, 18:50
Let's see. Kickstand down, tripod up with camera, meter, focus, shoot. Life is supposed to be a joy, right?

I like to ride with 1 or 2 good friends. Making them wait while I would need to setup to take a photo is discourteous IMO. So I ride with my friends and take photos when I'm alone in my truck. To each his own. I hope everyone can live they way they want.

John

Michael Wynd
7-May-2011, 20:05
I'll be doing what you're doing now that I have my learner's permit for the bike. I've been thinking of getting some plastic piping with end caps (one glued on the other screwed on) and bolted to the bike, so that I can carry the tripod almost vertically. The 8x10 will be in a backpack attached to a gearsack rack with a high hoop.
Good luck with the first ride with the cameras
Mike

Mick Fagan
10-May-2011, 04:58
One of the best ways to carry your gear on any of the 980cc flat twins, is to get a solo saddle (ex police), then make a rack that just runs straight out the back.

I would suggest marine plywood for the floor of the rack, which would sit atop your purpose built steel frame that you could whack up with some steel lying around your garage/workshop or whatever. You can put one together with a stick welder or if you have a set, oxy/acetelyne is better but slower. Lightest way and simplest way, for a home handyman to put a good rack on.

My current bike is a 98 R1100GS, I pretty much run with the solo saddle and I have built a couple of marine plywood racks out the back. One of them is for solo riding, the other is for two up riding.

Ortleib make a very good range of totally waterproof bags which are perfect for keeping anything dry, including cameras.

I can and have carried a backpack completely on it’s back directly behind me with my set-up, just unstrap, place on your back and you’re walking.

That bike looks like it’s been around a bit. Centre stand has had an interesting life. Rear tank mounts where they are welded to the fuel tank often rust through and you either get a leaking tank, or a tank that suddenly drops on one side.

Is the rear sub-frame still in one piece? They are notorious for cracking their sub-frames around the rear shocker mounts, especially on the front seat hinge area. I’ve broken a few of those sub-frames.

Putting a top box on the rear of these bikes is problematic, unless you acquire the R100/7 dual seat. I would be wary of whacking a top box on the rear of one of these, the front end can be a bit iffy if the rear is loaded at the rear of the rear, if you know what I mean. I have seen quite a few of those duck tail seats broken with even small top boxes fitted. The glove box under the rear of the seat is great for tools, but they won’t stay dry in a torrential downpour.

As for fuel consumption, these big flat twins were never fuel stingy. Yours looks like the 980 60 DIN HP model, which was a bit of a juice guzzler. The higher specced 980 for the R100CS which put out 70 DIN HP used less fuel, went faster and was a sweeter bike, slightly.

Nice machine and will do what you wish to do, day in day out, for some time to come, unless it’s been flogged!

Mick.

Mick Fagan
10-May-2011, 05:08
Steel braided brake lines, re-inforced front fork brace, new exhaust system I think, exceptionally clean rocker box on the right head. Correct fork gaiters added.

I’m not a fan of those wheels, I prefer spokes myself. Dependent upon where and how you ride, they do bend and sometimes crack.

If you think the brakes are good on that bike, and they are, have a go on any 1100 or later flat twin, you just about have to tie your nuts on they stop that well.

They have a beautiful headlight as well, one of the best.

Just had a better look at your picture.

Mick.

goamules
10-May-2011, 06:24
What I liked about my R80 and all these old BMWs is that they do very well on gravel roads. For example, the road to Chaco Canyon is like 40 miles of gravel. You wouldn't want to do that on a big, 750 lb street bike, and you probably wouldn't feel to good in a minivan. But these BMWs feel totally stable in dirt. I rode mine down Baja and through Mexico a few times, and I'm glad it was only a 450lb bike. My girlfriend and I packed tents, sleeping bags and pads, cook kits, clothes, everything on it. It's quite an adventure. And I never had a breakdown in 10 years of ownership.