PDA

View Full Version : Voigtlander Portrait-Euryscopoe No 7A Third Series...

Łukasz Owsianka
14-Apr-2011, 12:29
Hi,

I am new...:) :D

I have got a Voigtlander Portrait-Euryscopoe No 7A Third Series lens and i want to sell it. How much can I get for it? It is in good shape. I found some info that it is for 14x17in format at f4.5... Is it a good lens? Please help me decide should I sell it or keep it?

Steven Tribe
14-Apr-2011, 14:41
Welcome - hope you stick around too!

Portrait Euryscope series III size 7A has a focal length of 19 1/3". The front lens is a massive 4" across. The catalogue coverage (1890) is indeed 14x17".

The cost in 1890 was USD 226. This is a very large lens that will attract the major players in this format size. It dosn't make much sense to keep it unless:

- you have a very sturdy camera/front standard or
- are interested in this UL Format.

In an auction, the price will absolutely depend on glass condition (cement breakdown is not so important) and how many big spenders still need a very big Euryscope in their "battery".

Tri Tran
14-Apr-2011, 21:27
Hi,

I am new...:) :D

I have got a Voigtlander Portrait-Euryscopoe No 7A Third Series lens and i want to sell it. How much can I get for it? It is in good shape. I found some info that it is for 14x17in format at f4.5... Is it a good lens? Please help me decide should I sell it or keep it?

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Stick with it for 6 months from now . You will be surprise. Why? I just check my crystal ball :)

Łukasz Owsianka
15-Apr-2011, 05:46
Lensen are clean, no scrathes, no separation, no dents, no fog. It was cleaned by the man from museum of photography. I have got two of them and I want sell one. How much can I get?

jb7
15-Apr-2011, 05:48
Wow- a stereo pair-
Or maybe a ULFTLR
would love to see a picture of those two together...

Steven Tribe
15-Apr-2011, 06:15
A ULF/TLR would require qute a lot of parallex correction.

Lukasz! As I said, you will get a nice figure - but it depends on the market that day or week. There aren't dozens of buyers.

If you wait a month from the day you signed up here, you can list it here - where I am sure there are many who will either buy it your listing price - or come with an offer.
The sale/buy thread here has many advantages - especialy as regards fees. The fact that you have waited a month means that the buyers have some security about you. In addition, you have more security about the offers you receive. Outside the sale/buy thread, commercial activity is not allowed. Asking for value might be a prelude to an offer.

Łukasz Owsianka
15-Apr-2011, 06:28
Sorry, I have both is in museum for claening and one of them will stay there for a year. Another will be for sale (they are stil cleaning the brass)

Before cleaning:

Louis Pacilla
15-Apr-2011, 07:04
Don't clean the brass barrel.

Put it on eBay w/ No reserve & let it ride for 7 days. This will yield you top dollar. Ship world wide..

Straight sale here(an offer) will most likely get you about half of what bidding on eBay will produce. INHO.

Łukasz Owsianka
15-Apr-2011, 07:09
I am asking because the museum wants to buy one of them and i do not know how much can i get for it in the free market. The museum man told me that it will be a fair offer. Please tell me the minimum and maximum free market price. If the value of lens is low I will keep it.

Steven Tribe
15-Apr-2011, 07:15
Stop the cleaning!
With all respect to the "Museum" they do not have the expertise with old objectives or know what collectors/users are interested in!
There is verdigris so they havn't been well looked after (damp conditions or water) and threads can be difficult.
E**y will certainly get the best results but can be a harrowing experience (late or demanding bidders, shipment to countries where insurance is impossible etc. etc.).

Steven Tribe
15-Apr-2011, 07:22
Renes listed one here earlier this year - a slightly smaller size - at USD 1400.
No takers so he went to E**y. I don't know what he got for it, though.
So now you have an idea!

Łukasz Owsianka
15-Apr-2011, 07:25
It was imposible to unscerw the elements to clean the inside and they had to clean the barrel to do that. The barrel will look old and the shutter will be rebuilt.

Steven Tribe
15-Apr-2011, 07:50
The shutter built in the "lens board" is an interesting extra which will not effect the value of the objective.

Łukasz Owsianka
15-Apr-2011, 08:08
The shutter built in the "lens board" is an interesting extra which will not effect the value of the objective.

Thanks for a clue...:D