PDA

View Full Version : Oil leather bellows Technika III ?

Cor
14-Apr-2011, 04:42
Hi,

My main 4*5 camera is a Linhof Technika III (version 4, 1954) with nice flexible leather bellows which are light tight. I have come across a few references that state that such a bellows should be periodically oiled with something called Neatsfoot oil.

Is this really recommended when everything is fine with the bellows ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ), or should I really start applying that stuff (first have to locate it here in The Netherlands) to enjoy my bellows longer?

Thanks & best,

Cor

David Higgs
14-Apr-2011, 04:45
I've never oiled my bellows but... neats foot oil is used on horse riding tack - any tack shop will have it - its very cheap - and smells quite nice!

David Higgs
14-Apr-2011, 04:46
should have added - we use it to prevent leather strapping cracking and drying out

Sevo
14-Apr-2011, 04:50
Old German references will often recommend Nerzöl (Mink oil) for leather care. I haven't come across Klauenöl (neatsfoot oil) for bellows care - German camera makers sometimes used that as a mechanical grease, though.

Whatever leather care product you choose, use it sparingly - all leather bellows I own are laminated, and will separate if you excessively soak them in grease.

Cor
14-Apr-2011, 04:58
Old German references will often recommend Nerzöl (Mink oil) for leather care. I haven't come across Klauenöl (neatsfoot oil) for bellows care - German camera makers sometimes used that as a mechanical grease, though.

Whatever leather care product you choose, use it sparingly - all leather bellows I own are laminated, and will separate if you excessively soak them in grease.

Thanks..this more reads like..do not do it, the last thing I want is to ruin my bellows..:p

Best,

Cor

cdholden
14-Apr-2011, 06:48
If treated properly, leather will last much longer than not treated at all. The oil is just to keep the leather from rotting. I have a few pairs of work boots several years old that will require new soles before new leather. I wipe them clean with a damp cloth when dirty, but I only treat them with oil about every 4-6 months.
I'm sure they get more use/abuse than your bellows!

E. von Hoegh
14-Apr-2011, 07:31
Thanks..this more reads like..do not do it, the last thing I want is to ruin my bellows..:p

Best,

Cor

In the U.S. they sell pure neatsfoot oil and neatsfoot oil compound. Be sure to get the pure stuff, I've no idea what is in the compound. I give my bellows a VERY sparing whipedown with neatsfoot about every 18 months.

TheDeardorffGuy
14-Apr-2011, 15:04
Bellows are made with glue. The main question is will the oil soften the glue?
When you oil a bellows it soaks in Correct? Whats the first thing the oil touches? The glue. Most contact glues will not soften. But some bellows are made with rubber cement and Neats oil will soften that. Of all the compounds that I've tested Mink oil was the least destructive after 5 years. In fact no damage at all! Pure neats is far superior than Synthetic.
Ken

Marc B.
14-Apr-2011, 16:10
There are better products today then Neatsfoot oil.
I use this; works great.

https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=30

Greg Y
14-Apr-2011, 16:49
There is a fine product I've used on the bellows of my '40s Deardorff called "Lexol".
It's in liquid form and not as oily as neatsfoot oil or mink oil, both of which I have used on leather footwear but not on bellows.

E. von Hoegh
15-Apr-2011, 07:06
There is a fine product I've used on the bellows of my '40s Deardorff called "Lexol".
It's in liquid form and not as oily as neatsfoot oil or mink oil, both of which I have used on leather footwear but not on bellows.

I like Lexol, supposedly it replaces the natural oils that are partially or wholly removed by the tanning process. I've been leery of using it on bellows because I don't know what glue was used. Lexol is sort of an emulsion, mainly water. When I apply neatsfoot, I'm not doing much more than dusting the bellows with an oily rag. Whatever you use, use it sparingly. The Obenauf's with beeswax sounds good, too.

toolbox
15-Apr-2011, 09:25
Before you treat it with anything, you might want to do some research on preservation of antique leathers...IIRC Neatsfoot oil is not recommended.

Shadowtracker
15-Apr-2011, 23:03
Saddle Soap (it's not really soap, but is made for cleaning leather). I haven't used Lexol, but have heard good things about it. Saddle soap will also protect it to some extent.

TheDeardorffGuy
18-Apr-2011, 14:24
I was reading so much about neatsfoot I forgot to mention Lexsol also as others have. I just looked at a Deardorff that has Leather bellows. It's from 1953 and the leather was dry when I got it in the mid 80s. In nearly 20 years and treating it every other year it shows no deterioration at all.
Ken

Curt
18-Apr-2011, 14:44
When I bought a Kodak 2D the previous owner used a leather conditioner on it once a month. It's as nice and supple and clean as the day it was made.

I use the same conditioner as my Lazy-boy leather chair and the chair is an expensive model.

My vote is to use something on it to keep it from drying out.