PDA

View Full Version : Sinar System Idiosyncrasies

laroygreen
13-Apr-2011, 19:10
Hey guys,

Been thinking about getting a Sinar X and I just wanted to know if you could use a normal Sinar lensboard and regular copal shutter rather than the DB/Shutter mount? The documentation I could find isn't explicit in stating if a Sinar DB is a requirement to use the Sinar X camera.

Also, are there any on idiosyncrasies I need to look out for when looking to Sinar in general as opposed to any other LF system out there?

Thanks for the help and I hope my questions were clear enough.

Frank Petronio
13-Apr-2011, 19:39
Yes the DB lensmount and Sinar shutter are optional, most people use flat Sinar lensboards and conventional lens/shutter combinations.

If you're buying an outfit with the lenses in DB mounts and the Sinar shutter then great, it works well and usually it is all a bargain compared to buying individual lens/shutters together.

But it can also be a bit more hassle because it requires proprietary cable releases and it is large and heavy, perhaps with a bit more vibration if the shutter is out of wack. Because of this most people don't go out of their way to use it unless they want to use older shutterless barrel lenses or they get a nice deal on the package price.

The Sinar X is a nice camera, as are the P and P2. Look for a nice clean, well maintained one and it will last forever. Prices are all over the place because many photographers are abandoning their heavier studio cameras... but if you can deal with the weight and bulk they are wonderful.

laroygreen
13-Apr-2011, 19:45
Thanks Frank! That helps a bunch! Would you happen to know where I can get a Sinar X user's manual or brochure to download? Can't find any using google.

Also, any gotchas with the Sinar system (other than weight)?

B.S.Kumar
13-Apr-2011, 21:25
I recently sold a Sinar X, moving to a P2. Both are essentially the same, except that the X has no zero detents, and the P2 has slightly easier geared movements. The earlier X could not be changed to 5x7 or 8x10 format, but mine did have that feature. AFAIK, there is no user manual, but a brochure is here: http://www.image2output.com/image2outputcom/photographic/sinar-cameras/sinar-full-movement-view-camera/sinar-p3-rv-p-5527.html

Weight and bulk are the only reasons one would want to use any other camera!

Kumar

laroygreen
14-Apr-2011, 02:41
What about in comparison to a Cambo Legend? I figured I'll never own a Leica/Alpa/Arca Swiss/Linhof, so I might as well pony up for a used Sinar. It is expensive, but nowhere near the cost of those things. I don't have a practical reason for wanting to go with the Sinar X, I just think its a nicely built and precise machine :-) ... stupid, I know!

@Kumar: Is there a reason you're going to the P2 seeing you owned the X?

P.S. No user manual! How do people use that thing then? :)

B.S.Kumar
14-Apr-2011, 03:15
The great advantages with the Sinar are the two-point focusing and the asymmetric tilt/swing movements, which make life very easy in studio photography.

I just got a good deal on a P2, along with some accessories - no other reason. To get the best out of the Sinar, get the "Photo Know-How" book by Carl Koch and Jost Marchesi. While it naturally emphasises the Sinar system, the exercises at the end of the book are the best way to learn photography with view cameras. Sinar used to hold workshops at the factory in Feuerthalen. I don't know if Sinar distributors conduct workshops now, but the distributor in India a long time ago, the late Wilas Bhende used to do them about once a year. He was a great teacher, as well as one of the leading advertising photographers in his time.

Kumar

Peter De Smidt
14-Apr-2011, 08:18
If you go to Sinar's site, they have some info. For example: http://www.sinar.ch/en/infos/depth-of-field Combine that with understanding two point tilts and swings, and you should be set, barring using fancy shutters and metering backs. All of the movements are very easy to use, and it should be no problem for anyone familiar with large format cameras to quickly figure out how it works.

With a Sinar, and most cameras for that matter, never force anything. Movements, lens boards and bellows locking slides should move easily. If not, then something isn't seated properly. Don't apply more pressure. Instead, make sure that the lensboard, for example, is placed properly.

laroygreen
14-Apr-2011, 15:16
Thanks guys! Very helpful recommendations and insights.