PDA

View Full Version : Sinar front standard repair

Bob Kerner
13-Apr-2011, 18:40
The "clips" on the front standard that hold the lens board in place on my Sinar F are worn..for lack of a better term. When I activate the lever to raise them to insert the board, they do not retract retract completely. I have to use something to push the clips up and out of the way to insert the board.

Is there an easy fix to this or am I looking at the prospect of buying a new standard? I cannot see any (easy) way to take apart the standard to get at the clips.

Any idea what a new/replacement standard costs?

Thanks
Bob

Drew Wiley
13-Apr-2011, 18:48
It's hard to tell without removing the covers and checking inside. You will need the
correct miniature nutdriver and screwdrivers. Sometimes its just a matter of fresh
lubrication and a torque modification. But over time the little plastic cams connected
to these levers wear out. It might be simpler in such a case just to buy a new front
standard as a replacement, or to cannibalize it for parts. It's hard to judge condition
issues when used equipment appears on EBay, but otherwise you can often find
f-series front standards for less than $200. I recently took my rear standard apart
for a similar maintenance issue, and all that was really needed was a little adjustment of the nuts (that's after decades of hard use!).

Joshua Dunn
14-Apr-2011, 17:13
I had the lever that actuates the clips replaced on one of my Sinar front standards. Even if the lever moves freely it may not be actuating the retaining clips fully. The parts are not terribly expensive and you could probably do it yourself.

Bob Kerner
14-Apr-2011, 17:17
I had the lever that actuates the clips replaced on one of my Sinar front standards. Even if the lever moves freely it may not be actuating the retaining clips fully. The parts are not terribly expensive and you could probably do it yourself.

Yup. That's exactly the problem. Lever moves but clips dont