PDA

View Full Version : 36in Cooke Series IX TTH

Daniel Stone
13-Apr-2011, 18:30
hey guys,

part of the lenses that I just bought here, this one was part of it:

"Taylor Taylor & hobson 36" Series IX Cooke apochromatic process, Mounted on Barrel"

any ideas? I can't seem to find any info on it on the web.

here's a picture of the barrel

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy161/mr_danielstone/cooke36in.jpg

thanks

-Dan

Jim Galli
13-Apr-2011, 19:01
Looks like a 36" Series IX process lens to me. What else is there to know. I don't think Ansel ever had one. You'll need 72 inch of bellows to get to 1:1. Bigger than a 35" Artar. I know, I'm not really very helpful. I think the main value is to guys that need to feel like they've got the biggest one.

rjmeyer314
14-Apr-2011, 09:56
I have an 11x14 camera that I use long lenses on from time to time. It has a max of 42" bellows draw. I've found that I can just barely use a 36" lens (I've forgotten the make) for landscapes. With a 30" Kodak Process Ektar I feel much more comfortable that I can make reasonable use of the lens. After all, for most apertures you want to use zone focus with a hyperfocal distance of 50feet+. I would imagine to use your lens you would be in similar shape; you probably need at least 42" of draw, and probably 50" would be better.

domaz
14-Apr-2011, 10:19
Pushing almost 1000mm. Maybe a bit impractical but perhaps you could make a simple 8x10 box camera to do telephoto (at infinity) shots.

Daniel Stone
14-Apr-2011, 14:44
Pushing almost 1000mm. Maybe a bit impractical but perhaps you could make a simple 8x10 box camera to do telephoto (at infinity) shots.

I was planning on doing that with the 48" RD Artar that was part of the package this lens came in ;).

I still have no idea what I'm going to shoot with it yet, maybe the LA skyline :o?

-Dan

Mark Sampson
14-Apr-2011, 16:13
Look up the work of Andreas Feininger to see what can be done with a really long lens. Reinhart Wolf, too. Both did spectacular (but very different) views of New York City.

Daniel Stone
14-Apr-2011, 16:22
Look up the work of Andreas Feininger to see what can be done with a really long lens. Reinhart Wolf, too. Both did spectacular (but very different) views of New York City.

hence my prior reply ;). I love A.F.'s work, I haven't seen Wolf's yet, but now I have some more research to do :). I have all the good A.F. videos on Youtube bookmarked, they're very informative! Now I need to order some 5/8" baltic birch now for a summer project. I'm thinking a "box" type camera, with some 3-4" of bellows travel in the back, and it being able to slide in and out various interlocking sections for different focal length lenses.

I'll post a picture of a sketch I'm working on now as soon as I'm done. Basically I'm building it to accomodate my new 48" RDA, and maybe this 36" too ;). But I'll need an 8x10 and 4x5 back, pity, I just sold my 5x7 spring back, it could have been useful for this project.

stay tuned, I'll have it uploaded this afternoon.

-Dan