PDA

View Full Version : Speed Graphic questions

seanmo
13-Apr-2011, 08:27
Hi all,
recently entered the world of graflex cameras with a new/old speed graphic...not sure of the model, but believe it is an early model with only the 'rise' movement on the front and it uses the larger lens boards.

I have a few questions concerning the back

I have the non graflok back...can I relatively easily install a graflok back?

I want to use the fuji instant back and the polaroid back that uses pack film and they won't work on the regular back

If I do install a graflok, regular 4x5 film backs (fidelity) will not work correct? so what backs will work for regular 4x5 sheet film?

and are there any rotating backs for these cameras?
thanks

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5309/5574612491_a25a102bc0.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/2pydnx0/7

Bill_1856
13-Apr-2011, 08:32
Regular Fidelity film holders work fine with a Graflock back. There are no rotating backs.
Are you sure that the Fuji and Polaroid backs won't work?

BrianShaw
13-Apr-2011, 08:33
Easy job. There are 6 or 8 wood screws. With the Graflok you'll be able to use Fuji back plus roll film backs. My Anniversary Graphic has been retrofit with Graflok and that makes it much more useful.

No revolving back. Turn camera on side for portrait orientation.

seanmo
13-Apr-2011, 08:36
so regular holders are fine with grafloks? and yes I'm sure the fuji holder wont work in the regular back...won't open far enough and I don't want to snap the metal.

thanks for the replies

Caivman
13-Apr-2011, 08:41
Looks like you may have your hands on a 3x4 Anniversary Speed Graphic instead of a
4x5. I have the EXACT camera at home that i'm refinishing and repairing.
They do make Graflok backs for them, but not having film and the rarity of good holders make this camera fairly obsolete. Sorry to break the news to ya, but you've got a fancy paperweight unless you're up for converting this to a 4x5 with a little elbow grease and a bit of creative attaching of a 4x5 back.

-D

seanmo
13-Apr-2011, 08:47
nope its a 4x5...I've shot 4x5 polaroid already and its fine
I think it is an anniversary though

Caivman
13-Apr-2011, 08:52
They must look dead on the same then... Cool! then yeah, fixing this up with a graflok back is simple. See above post for how-to.

jp
13-Apr-2011, 09:41
You can use any film holder in the graflok or non graflok back. There are some older SLRs that can not take normal film holders, but that's a different beast.

Judging by the bright focus knob, it appears you have an anniversary model from 1939-46 but not during WWII. Whether the focus track links to the body would determine if it's older.

I've got a pre-anniversary, an anniversary, and what used to be an anniversary. The one that used to be like that was converted by the previous owner to have the graflok back (which works great). I like the metal popup hood and the ability to use the fuji instant holder. It was also converted to use a pacemaker front standard. So I have more adjustments on the front. I don't use the adjustments much, so it's not critical, but I do like to tilt once in a great while. The pacemaker front standard has a nicer sport finder too which neatly retracts when not needed.

There is a second tripod hole on the left side of the camera to allow portrait use on a tripod.

Here's the frankenstein camera I describe.

http://www.f64.nu/photo/tmp/lff/speed/_DSC4514.jpg

Yours take just as nice photos as a newer one, just doesn't do the fuji instant in it's current form, and is missing some conveniences, but we don't do this for convenience.

If you ask for particular parts on here, lots of people have them and would sell them. Or you could buy the rattiest pacemaker to steal the needed parts.

seanmo
13-Apr-2011, 09:46
thanks for the reply...already have a WTB thread on the forum and am browsing the auction site for a back as well. I would like the tilt feature, but not crucial at this point since I have an aero ektar :)

BrianShaw
13-Apr-2011, 09:54
I seem to recall seeing one (4x5 Graflok back) on ebay just the otehr day. No tcheap, but htey show up occasionally. did you verify that you have 4x5, not a 3x4?

BrianShaw
13-Apr-2011, 09:56
anniversary model from 1939-46

If it is a 4x5 and the speed plate is on the top, then it is no later than 1940.

seanmo
13-Apr-2011, 10:27
yeah its a 4x5

Sirius Glass
13-Apr-2011, 16:21
Looks like you may have your hands on a 3x4 Anniversary Speed Graphic instead of a
4x5. I have the EXACT camera at home that i'm refinishing and repairing.
They do make Graflok backs for them, but not having film and the rarity of good holders make this camera fairly obsolete. Sorry to break the news to ya, but you've got a fancy paperweight unless you're up for converting this to a 4x5 with a little elbow grease and a bit of creative attaching of a 4x5 back.

-D

I did not have trouble finding 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" film at FreeStyle. In fact I ordered 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" film from Ilford in FP4 and HP5+ last year. I received the order of twelve boxes after I sold the camera. I have since sold all but three boxes. I have them for sale in the classifieds here. The film has been in the freezer since I got it.

Steve

Michael Cienfuegos
13-Apr-2011, 16:48
If your polaroid back is a tight fit, you can put a washer under the springs on the spring back. This suggestion is courtesy of Les on the www.graflex.org site. I tried it and it works. I can use a Grafmatic holder on my Pre-Anny 4x5 with no problems. I assume the Polaroid holder will fit, too.

BrianShaw
13-Apr-2011, 18:37
You can use any film holder in the graflok or non graflok back. There are some older SLRs that can not take normal film holders, but that's a different beast.

My 4x5 Anniversary Graphic originally was fitted with a Graflex back -- the one that uses the "one slot" holders. That is the "different beast" of which you speak, but they were not exclusive to the Graflex SLRs.

Jim Jones
13-Apr-2011, 21:28
Sometimes it's least expensive to buy a junky post-Anniversary camera for the back and other useful upgrade parts. A good Graflok back alone sometimes costs as much as a camera with a useable back.

seanmo
13-Apr-2011, 21:51
thanks for the responses...I've been thinking just an whole camera might be better than just the back...I'll stay on the lookout.

Professional
15-Apr-2011, 09:48
WOW, i have to use my both Graphic cameras, bought them and i didn't use any yet, and i can see why many love this kind of camera, i will give it a try and see, the only problem is that i don't shoot with LF nowadays until i know the best way how to develop my B&W sheets, three or 4 methods and still i don't know which to use, i tried only tray processing and i hated it.

izziadog
4-May-2011, 05:08
EBAY !!!!!!!!!!! and check every day !!
Hi all,
recently entered the world of graflex cameras with a new/old speed graphic...not sure of the model, but believe it is an early model with only the 'rise' movement on the front and it uses the larger lens boards.

I have a few questions concerning the back

I have the non graflok back...can I relatively easily install a graflok back?

I want to use the fuji instant back and the polaroid back that uses pack film and they won't work on the regular back

If I do install a graflok, regular 4x5 film backs (fidelity) will not work correct? so what backs will work for regular 4x5 sheet film?

and are there any rotating backs for these cameras?
thanks

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5309/5574612491_a25a102bc0.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/2pydnx0/7