PDA

View Full Version : Canham MQC57 - which board for Compur 2?

Riverman
12-Apr-2011, 18:45
I have picked up a Schneider Angulon 165mm f6.8 to serve as a moderate wide angle on my Canham MQC57. The lens is mounted in a Compur shutter which - judging from the info on SKGrimes' site - is a Compur 2.

Please does anyone know which Canham lens board would fit a Compur 2 shutter or will I have to make my own board?

Keith Pitman
12-Apr-2011, 19:19
You are correct, it is a #2 size shutter. That size is no longer made. You will need a custom cut board. Nice lens. I use mine on 5x7 and 4x10.

Riverman
12-Apr-2011, 20:12
Thanks Keith. It seems like the best bet for gentle wide with decent coverage for 5x7.

Bill_1856
12-Apr-2011, 20:26
Nice lens, horrible shutter.

Riverman
12-Apr-2011, 21:11
What's the problem with the shutter?

Bill_1856
13-Apr-2011, 02:22
What's the problem with the shutter?

Mechanically the #2 work fine (as good as any Compur of similar age), but the problem is ergonomic. There is no press-focus mechanism so you have to always put the shutter on "T" to focus on the ground glass, then move the dial back to the desired speed, and the aperture adjustment is engraved on the side of the shutter (not the front) and is difficult to see and move.
Reading/writing about it sounds like it should be no more of a problem than any elderly shutter, but in practice it's a PITA to use. Particularly on a tripod at eye-level.

Keith Pitman
13-Apr-2011, 06:58
Mechanically the #2 work fine (as good as any Compur of similar age), but the problem is ergonomic. There is no press-focus mechanism so you have to always put the shutter on "T" to focus on the ground glass, then move the dial back to the desired speed, and the aperture adjustment is engraved on the side of the shutter (not the front) and is difficult to see and move.
Reading/writing about it sounds like it should be no more of a problem than any elderly shutter, but in practice it's a PITA to use. Particularly on a tripod at eye-level.

Generally agree. Mount the lens with the aperture scale to one side of the lens. Also, set the lens before you attach a shade , especially a compendium or you'll have a hard time seeing the shutter speed.