PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Technika III restoration help

Ari
12-Apr-2011, 08:59
Hi all,
I just purchased an old Technika III from a forum member, it needs some cosmetic work.
The leatherette and the bellows both need replacing, but included in the sale was a new bellows and the leatherette kit.
I was thinking that contact cement would be the best way to go for both, but I'm kind of new to this, so any suggestions from the commentariat are deeply appreciated.
And any other ideas (i.e. sanding the metal before applying leatherette) or suggestions would greatly help.
Thanks in advance

Juergen Sattler
12-Apr-2011, 12:04
Pliobond is the way to go. I have restored many Technikas by cutting my own leather for it and Pliobond works wonders, No need to sand down the metal parts - just make sure that all of the old leather has been removed.

Ari
12-Apr-2011, 12:27
Thanks, Juergen.
From my initial look-see, the leather strips are self-adhesive, so my chief concern is now on gluing the bellows. Pliobond still a good choice?
Also, the bellows are missing the rear frame, the one that glues to the back; I was thinking to make my own from thick hardened plastic or something similar since I can't cut metal here.
Thanks again!

Barry Kirsten
12-Apr-2011, 14:23
I've also done re-leathering in the past. The important thing about the adhesive is that it be heat-softenable to allow easy removal of certain strips needed to get access to adjustments for the rangefinder. (There may also be other covered ports, I can't remember.)

I don't know whether Pliobond can be softened, nor can I remember which brand of adhesive I used. I suggest you go to a leather supplier and ask for suggestions for this type of adhesive.

Barry.

Ari
12-Apr-2011, 15:08
Thanks, Barry.
The leatherette kit is from Linhof, already cut and self-adhesive.
I found Pliobond at a nearby hardware store, and would like to know if anyone has experience using that to glue bellows.
Also, can a bellows frame be made from plastic? Any other suggestions for material?
Thanks again.

Juergen Sattler
12-Apr-2011, 16:01
Hi Ari,

yes, I used Pliobond also to glue the bellows to the frame - I assume that's what you are asking? Or do you want to make your own bellows? I have no experience in that - so can't help.

Ari
12-Apr-2011, 17:44
Yes, thank you, Juergen.
I have new bellows, just need to glue them.
And could I make a rear bellows frame out of plastic, or some other home-made material?
Thanks again

John Koehrer
12-Apr-2011, 18:51
I imagine you can make the frame from plastic or something like basswood.
I'd look at the frame you do have and find something similar. Frames for Deardorff are similar to basswood and don't so much as add strength to the bellows, just hold it in shape.

rknewcomb
13-Apr-2011, 13:59
I have put new bellows on a couple of older Technikas. As far as I remember the rear of the bellows has no frame. It is glued directly to the flat metal plate in the rear of the camera - the flat plate which the four "floating" posts of the rear Linhof movement go through - not the rotating back plate but the one forward of it.
The front of the bellows has a thin "bellows frame" (more of a flat thin plate). The bellows wraps around/over this plate and then metal screws from the front lensboard area hold it in place.
Robert

I imagine you can make the frame from plastic or something like basswood.
I'd look at the frame you do have and find something similar. Frames for Deardorff are similar to basswood and don't so much as add strength to the bellows, just hold it in shape.

Ari
13-Apr-2011, 14:19
I have put new bellows on a couple of older Technikas. As far as I remember the rear of the bellows has no frame. It is glued directly to the flat metal plate in the rear of the camera - the flat plate which the four "floating" posts of the rear Linhof movement go through - not the rotating back plate but the one forward of it.
The front of the bellows has a thin "bellows frame" (more of a flat thin plate). The bellows wraps around/over this plate and then metal screws from the front lensboard area hold it in place.
Robert

Hmm...very interesting. I would think that a frame would add a little more stability and/or security.
Thanks, Robert; I hope your memory is better than mine!

Ari
13-Apr-2011, 14:43
Ok, bought some Pliobond today and Liquid Wrench (to be used very sparingly).
I stripped all the old leather and cleaned the metal underside as best I could.
http://i52.tinypic.com/30t6td2.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/jrtwzq.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/ioevm0.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/rjqfwh.jpg

With a few hours' work, it now looks ready for a new coat of leather.
Mechanically, the camera is A-1, so I only have to worry about making it look nice.

Ari
13-Apr-2011, 14:45
Although sometimes, this is who I feel like:
http://i56.tinypic.com/k9dr35.jpg

At least the camera will be very clean when this is over; hopefully it'll go to a neat freak :)

Last shot of the back with front closed...
http://i52.tinypic.com/11qi77p.jpg

rknewcomb
14-Apr-2011, 05:40
You have a back for it I suppose? To take a back off the camera and remove the bellows:
1) You loosen the screws inside the flat lensboard area, the front of the bellows and its thin frame might be stuck to the front standard, but after loosening those screws, with some gentle prying it should detach from the front standard.
2) The four floating posts in the rear of the camera usually have a small snap ring keeper or a screw in the end of each post - remove those.
3) Loosen the adjustment locking knobs that hold those four posts when making view camera type movements.
4) The back should slide rearwards and come off the camera, taking those four posts with it and the whole bellows and front frame slides out through the back body of the camera.
5) The rear of the bellows is glued to that rear part - a flat area of metal with the four post sticking out on one side and the actual rotating film back on the other side.
It was either on the Tech V or Master that they started using a non glued in system I believe.
Hope that helps.
Robert

Ari
14-Apr-2011, 08:10
Robert,
Thank you for the advice. I did exactly as you described, twelve hours ago :)
Here is a photo of the bellows drying with their brand new coat of Pliobond (highly recommended, thank you, Juergen), under the crushing weight of coffee beans and olive oil containers.

To see the completed camera, I have photos up in the "For Sale" section.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?p=713108#post713108

Thanks to all who gave of their time, advice and experience!

rknewcomb
14-Apr-2011, 08:16
You sure made it look pretty!

Ari
14-Apr-2011, 08:48
Thanks, Robert; that's saying a lot, what with my limited skills (see above photo of Homer Simpson).

TheDeardorffGuy
14-Apr-2011, 15:07
Thanks, Barry.
The leatherette kit is from Linhof, already cut and self-adhesive.
I found Pliobond at a nearby hardware store, and would like to know if anyone has experience using that to glue bellows.
Also, can a bellows frame be made from plastic? Any other suggestions for material?
Thanks again.

Pliobond is great. apply to both mating surfaces. Let dry 10 minutes. Push together. Done.Ken

Ari
14-Apr-2011, 17:07
Ken, it worked like a charm.
Now I keep looking for stuff around the house to glue together. :)

Uri A
27-Apr-2011, 18:26
Just snooping around for the same answers as you were Ari.. teriffic result BTW!

Thanks Juergen for the Pliobond tip (I will always take tech advice from someone with a German name). :)

Now, Ari what did you use to remove the leatherette? Liquid Wrench?? (Although I'm not sure if I will take tech advice from someone with a Jewish name har har! Oh, that's me too .. :o )

Ari
27-Apr-2011, 18:36
Uri,
I would agree with you if we were discussing yachting or polo; our people are not too adept around boats or horses :)
The leatherette peeled off easily by hand, by first prying the corners with a screwdriver. This left a lot of residue, which I cleaned up with a combination of flathead screwdrivers (large and tiny), paint scraper, and finally sandpaper.
I applied some paint thinner to clean up the metal and get rid of any dust, and Moshe's your uncle!

Uri A
27-Apr-2011, 18:48
Thanks Ari,

I have a Tech with perfect leatherette, except ONE piece has come loose and gooey. Ideally, I want to try and remove it in one piece, de-goo it and re-glue it, rather than replace it with some aftermarket stuff which may not match.

I gather that most folks hack away with chisels, since they don't care if the old leather comes off in bits, as they are planning to replace the lot anyway. This is why I wanted some chemical aid and asking about the liquid wrench.

Any thoughts on this?

BTW have you seen Ep#10, Season 5 ("The End") of Curb Your Enthusiasm? :D

Ari
27-Apr-2011, 18:53
Haven't see it, but I'll look it up :)
I would start with a mild solvent, like diluted paint thinner to see what would happen while inflicting as little damage as possible. If the leather is at all dry, it will tend to break off in mid-pull.
If the results are encouraging, I'd go with a paint thinner and eventually something like Liquid Wrench.
To glue it back, I'd highly recommend the Pliobond, if it's available in 'Stralia.
Keep us posted on your progress!

Uri A
27-Apr-2011, 18:59
Thanks Ari, will do.