PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Hobson Cooke Anastigmat 406mm f/5.6 series IV

Tiziano
12-Apr-2011, 03:07
Hi All,

I am trying to find info on a brass lens from Taylor, Taylor and Hobson, with engraved:
406 mm Cooke Anastigmat f/5.6 series IV.

Does anyone know what type of lens is that?

Thanks!

Tiziano

Louis Pacilla
12-Apr-2011, 05:44
The lens is a Cooke triplet that has a max aperture of f5.6 No soft focus feature like series VI .Sometimes folks get confused between the two.

Your 406mm FL series IV will work great as a Portrait lens on 8x10. In general, the Cooke triplet design has a nice look w/ smooth transitions between tones and lovely out of focus area. Give it go & let us know what you think.

Hope this helps

Peace

Tiziano
12-Apr-2011, 06:17
The lens is a Cooke triplet that has a max aperture of f5.6 No soft focus feature like series VI .Sometimes folks get confused between the two.

Your 406mm FL series IV will work great as a Portrait lens on 8x10. In general, the Cooke triplet design has a nice look w/ smooth transitions between tones and lovely out of focus area. Give it go & let us know what you think.

Hope this helps

Peace

Hi Louis, Thanks a lot for the great info. I was hoping to have found a soft focus lens...
For giving it a try, I will have to pay 250 Euros to the seller. Is it worth? I have no clue of the price of these lenses. I have to say that it's in great shape. Looks new! :)
Cheers,
Tiziano

Steven Tribe
12-Apr-2011, 07:42
Difficult to put a price on it as there aren't a lot of these traded. Also called the Medic. Doesn't appeal in the same way as some of the other series. Was really designed as a photographers' lens rather than some of the following slower series which were for process work.

Tiziano
12-Apr-2011, 08:22
Thanks Steven. I guess I'll go for it, just because is such a beautiful object! :)