PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Quick load holders and film question...

Carterofmars
10-Apr-2011, 11:58
Hi- I have a Super Speed graphic with the graflok back. If been dying to use this camera but feared the sheet film, holders, darkbag loading, etc.

Question: Are Fuji Quick load holders and film discontinued at this point. And if so, why on earth?

For years I wanted a Toyo Field 45A. If I thought holders like this would be around for a while longer I wouldn't hesitate getting one.

I can't believe that something as beautiful as large Format photography could be in danger of extinction. Does the whole world want instant gratification from an iPhone!!! There must be millions in the world that would want to pursue large format (or and medium format for that matter). Frankly you have to be wealthy to pursue digital medium format. Is there digital Large format? I'm afraid to think what that may cost!

Thanks Joe

sapata
10-Apr-2011, 12:06
I have a Kodak quick load that came for free when I bought my Toyo years ago and never used... I don't even know if the film exists to be honest.

You should have no fear of using the darkslides, they're easy and with a little bit of trainning with a dummy film in daylight you'll be fine...

I never used darkbag, always go in my bathroom at night, close all doors and I have a perfect darkroom to load all my darkslides for the next day.

vinny
10-Apr-2011, 12:32
Google or Try the search function.

Carterofmars
10-Apr-2011, 12:38

I can definitely appreciate that, sincerely. But I thought about posting the question here because I figure you large Format guys are super well versed in this, and could probably give me an answer off the top of your heads. I'm not lazy, I am the Father of a small army that demands constant attention. But that being said, I am Googleing and searching the forums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BU1gTSdZ90

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbwa1/5544562629/

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00BXq1

btw, I just checked out your site. Your work is amazing.

I primarily a 35mm and 120mm Rangefinder shooter but have always wanted to use my Graphic.

Jim Becia
10-Apr-2011, 13:05
Hi- I have a Super Speed graphic with the graflok back. If been dying to use this camera but feared the sheet film, holders, darkbag loading, etc.

Question: Are Fuji Quick load holders and film discontinued at this point. And if so, why on earth?

For years I wanted a Toyo Field 45A. If I thought holders like this would be around for a while longer I wouldn't hesitate getting one.

I can't believe that something as beautiful as large Format photography could be in danger of extinction. Does the whole world want instant gratification from an iPhone!!! There must be millions in the world that would want to pursue large format (or and medium format for that matter). Frankly you have to be wealthy to pursue digital medium format. Is there digital Large format? I'm afraid to think what that may cost!

Thanks Joe

Joe,

All quickload and readyload films have been discontinued by both Fuji and Kodak, although you can still find quite a bit of it (color) for sale through various sources. The holders are also available through secondary market sources. The current Kodak readyload holders are nice as they handle both Kodak readyloads and Fuji quickloads. Hope this helps. Jim

Sirius Glass
10-Apr-2011, 14:10

Yes but the accuracy and detail in the answers are much better for

APUG.org for film and processing questions on all formats
graflex.org for Graflex and Graphic questions
largeformatphotography.info for Large Format questions.

If I am really interested in answers with erroneous and inaccurate information for specific topics, then I use Google et al.

The OP is new to this format and one should be more tolerance for those who are not as "perfect" as you are. The ratio is 6:1,165.

Just sayin' ;)

Steve

Carterofmars
10-Apr-2011, 14:27
Thanks for all the reply's thus far. Very appreciated. I want to enjoy this format so I'll pick up a Fuji Quickload holder and a box of 20 sheets.

I have a everything I need for c-41 processing, but haven't had the chance yet. My Paterson tank accommodates 35mm and 120mm. Maybe I''ll consider a larger one for sheet.

vinny
10-Apr-2011, 16:46
Steve, i was referring to this forum's search function. Most of the time the subject has been covered quite well, and recently. Type fuji quickload into google and see what comes up. Discontinued. Far from perfect.

amac212
11-Apr-2011, 04:39
Fear not - the film holders are very easy to load and there are plenty of options with changing bags and tents (not too expensive) as well as dark rooms as mentioned here. Let me share with you another really easy to follow tutorial that shows you just how it's done.
http://photondetector.com/blog/2007/10/26/how-to-load-large-format-film-video-tutorial/

Happy Shooting!

Carterofmars
12-May-2011, 17:38
My first shot taken last night...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3385/5714656724_7c48987a78_b.jpg

atlcruiser
13-May-2011, 09:14
Carterofmars.....nice first photo!

Dont feel too bad...Vinny yelled at me the other day on a topic much like this and i had searched here and elsewhere. I think he gets a bit angry at newcomers who dont ask questons of worthy topics :)

I am using the quickloads as I stumble across them FS. Dont get caught up in difficulty loading sheet film. It really is easy. A darkened bathroom is good enough to load them in. You will save a pile of money and time.

Kuzano
13-May-2011, 09:33
I ran across 175 quick and ready loads frozen from a photographer clearing out his inventory. Mostly expired, but kept cold. Down to about 150 envelopes now, and all have been decent results. Some is expired in early 2000's.

Picked up the lot for $125. A variety of emulsions, BW and color, Fuji and Kodak, now residing in my freezer.

Film is where you find it. I've probably shot more cold stored expired film than I have fresh date film over a long span of time.

Rob Klurfield
13-May-2011, 10:43
Joe, nice start. Lovely image.

My first shot taken last night...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3385/5714656724_7c48987a78_b.jpg