PDA

View Full Version : Bogen Manfrotto 3063 vs 3036

akfreak
10-Apr-2011, 11:44
Hello, I am a searching for a Tripod for my Cambo 540. I want a Heavy Duty tripod and have narrowed it down to these two. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks AKf

My budget is $100 shipped, am I dreaming? Also I have looked at some Surveying wooden tripods. They have a huge hole like the dish of a Video type of tripod. Not quite sure how to attach a gead to a tripod with a huge hole (dish/bowl?) in it

akfreak
11-Apr-2011, 22:11
Bogen Manfrotto 3063 vs 3036 DRRR I meant the title to be 3046 vs 3036 not a head vs a tripod

anotherJoe
21-Apr-2011, 04:37
I got my 3036 for $100 just a few months ago from the big auction site. It's in great shape.

It's a beast, but perfect for the Sinar tilt/pan head and 5x7 Norma. ROCK SOLID!!

Joe

neil poulsen
21-Apr-2011, 09:00
I had a 3036, and it's an excellent tripod. I used it for years.

But, I upgraded to it's successor, which is the Manfrotto 475. It's designed the same, except that like traditional tripods, one's able to retract and span out the three legs all at once, versus individually. This is more efficient when using the tripod on flat surfaces; it's easier to level the head. Yet, it's still possible to adjust the legs individually, which is this tripod's greatest asset. I also find that the center-post is a little more beefy on the 475, and it's more stable when tightened.

On the con side, in my later years, I find that either of these tripods are getting a little heavy for me to carry around. Earlier in life, this was never a problem.

rdenney
21-Apr-2011, 10:04
I thought I wrote a comparison of these two recently--must have been another thread. And it may no longer be relevant, given your recent request concerning a handle for the 3036.

The 3036 has individual length adjustments for the leg braces. The braces on the 3046 have a fixed length, and they all are connected to the same sliding collar on the center post.

It is much easier to level a 3036, but the 3046 legs open quicker on a flat floor. The 3036 will also go MUCH lower, because the legs can be spread almost straight out. The low position is controlled by the length of the center column.

Both are about equally sturdy for our applications.

Rick "whose first big tripod was a 3046, from back in the day when Mr. Bogen showed an ad with him sitting on one" Denney

akfreak
25-Apr-2011, 12:08
I had a 3036, and it's an excellent tripod. I used it for years.

But, I upgraded to it's successor, which is the Manfrotto 475. It's designed the same, except that like traditional tripods, one's able to retract and span out the three legs all at once, versus individually. This is more efficient when using the tripod on flat surfaces; it's easier to level the head. Yet, it's still possible to adjust the legs individually, which is this tripod's greatest asset. I also find that the center-post is a little more beefy on the 475, and it's more stable when tightened.

On the con side, in my later years, I find that either of these tripods are getting a little heavy for me to carry around. Earlier in life, this was never a problem.

When you must sell the 475 for a carbon let me know I want forst dibs, LOL