PDA

View Full Version : grafmatic or mido on a chamonix 045-n2?

Andrea Gazzoni
10-Apr-2011, 06:59
anyone using grafmatics or mido film holders on a chamonix can share their experience as for compatibility? is there a significant weight saving when using these backs?
thanks

Ivan J. Eberle
10-Apr-2011, 07:53
I'm using Grafmatics (not Midos--good luck finding any of these!-- and not on a Chamonix).
I've got something of a love-hate relationship. Most of the time I'd rather shoot Fujichrome Astia/ Fujicolor 160S in Quickloads. But since Ektar and Portra doesn't come in Readyloads, I have four Grafmatics.

Note that when you screw up, you risk 6 sheets of film. They're vulnerable to getting dust intrusions even if you've been careful while loading with a dark tent (a simple changing bag is hopeless).
When they work, there's nothing faster for quickly bracketing shots. When handholding a press-type camera that has a rangefinder, Grafmatics are incredibly slick, and make a 4x5 seem nearly as convenient as a large medium format camera.
Nice ones are hard to acquire for a reasonable price.
When new, Grafmatics cost less than $30USD each. I've seen LN ones quickly bid up to 5 times that amount on eBay in the past year. But good ones tend to be scarce. More commonplace are overpriced ones that have been heavily used, may leak light, and may be warped.

Dave Grenet
10-Apr-2011, 21:56
The grafmatics work fine on a 45N-2. You need to use the graflok clips to hold it in place though as the springs for the ground glass aren't quite strong enough.

Frank Petronio
10-Apr-2011, 22:40
It is a seller's market for Grafmatics but I've probably bought a dozen over the years and only one was bad. Look for good sellers with good descriptions. The $80 range is my threshold for good users, if you are patient for a few weeks you can find them.

I don't think they get more dusty than regular holders, keep them in a Ziploc. They are nicer in many ways, and I think they hold the film flatter and in a more optimal position. But when I use them I tend to overshoot and waste more film since it is so easy to advance them and do "one more". So now I've gone back to conventional holders.

Ari
10-Apr-2011, 23:21
I sold all my film holders and use 8 Grafmatics for the reasons mentioned above, and for the savings on weight and space.

Andrea Gazzoni
11-Apr-2011, 00:41
...is there any weight saving with a Grafmatic instead of three film holders?
I understand the main advantage is for the speed of use, not for the weight.
Bulk saving seems minimal to me.

Frank Petronio
11-Apr-2011, 04:38
It's about equal, not ever weighing them myself. If I had a weakly sprung back camera, like someone mentioned a Chamonix to be, I'd use regular holders, rather than removing the back all the time, that's a pita and you'll mess up the back eventually.

Ari
11-Apr-2011, 11:58
...is there any weight saving with a Grafmatic instead of three film holders?
I understand the main advantage is for the speed of use, not for the weight.
Bulk saving seems minimal to me.

Yes there is, or I would not have disposed of my double-sided backs so readily.
Comparing one Graf to three film holders isn't as dramatic as stacking eight Grafmatics next to 24 film holders.
Speed, film flatness, weight, bulk...take your pick.