PDA

View Full Version : Really long loupe?

Oren Grad
9-Apr-2011, 22:58
Does anyone know of a loupe or other magnifying device that has a long enough working distance to be practical inside the hood of a 4x5 Graflex Super D? It needs around 8-9 inches.

Bob Salomon
10-Apr-2011, 06:13
Wista Telescoping Focus Loupe

Oren Grad
10-Apr-2011, 14:25
Thanks, Bob. Would you happen to know the maximum extension?

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
10-Apr-2011, 15:08
What about reading glasses Oren? Or magnifying glasses for jewelers? I don't know if they will fit into the hood of a 4x5, but they did for my 5x7 Graflex.

Oren Grad
10-Apr-2011, 16:03
I'm willing to consider anything that would get me some magnification at a working distance that's compatible with the hood. Is there a particular model or type that you found to work well with the 5x7 Graflex?

Bob Salomon
10-Apr-2011, 16:49
Thanks, Bob. Would you happen to know the maximum extension?

I would have to measure it when I get back from the NAB Show so that would be on the 18th.

Mnmglobal
27-Aug-2011, 14:30
I would have to measure it when I get back from the NAB Show so that would be on the 18th.

Would love to know if you ever found a long loupe would also like to use one for my graflex super d

salihonba
27-Aug-2011, 23:22
I would recommend this loupe, very good quality and the price is fair.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8X-Focusing-Loupe-8x10-Camera-Linhof-Toyo-Deardorff-/280663506597?pt=US_Viewfinders_Eyecups&hash=item4158d93ea5#ht_3932wt_975

Frank Petronio
28-Aug-2011, 00:04
I've had the long Wista, Horseman, and Toyo Hood Loupes. They ain't going to work. I doubt those Chinese ones will do it either.

You probably should try extra strong reading glasses or make your own simple loupe with elements from Edmunds or some telescope nerd supply outfit, that's above my paygrade though.

You might also try cobbling something like the Rollei TLR or Hasselblad focusing hood magnifier that flips up....

This classic might cut it, but you have to wear the outfit too. And cut off your non-dominant hand.

http://www.fancydress-costumes.co.uk/acatalog/30182.jpg

Ari
28-Aug-2011, 00:16
I'm waiting on delivery of this loupe:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hening-Type-II-MC-6x-Focusing-Loupe-4x5-8x10-Camera-/280696236022?pt=US_Viewfinders_Eyecups&hash=item415acca7f6#ht_4869wt_956
I've had no trouble using a 3" loupe with a Toyo focusing hood, so this should work even better.
Made of fubber! :)

Jim Noel
28-Aug-2011, 08:04
cheap reading glasses in the 1.25x to 1.75x range should work.

Oren Grad
9-Jun-2012, 21:36
You probably should try extra strong reading glasses...

Frank is always right!

Things happen slowly around here, but I finally got around to picking up a pair of cheap ($10) reading glasses at CVS last night - tried on several pairs, settled on the +2.5. Tried them this evening on my Graflok-converted 4x5 Super D, which lets me check the top GG focus against the Graflok GG in the film plane without having to expose film. Marvelous - got a comfortable view inside the hood, nailed the focus!

With these funky blue reading glasses on top of my regular frames I have about as much gravitas as Frank's pirate, but that should at least be good for a smile from my attempted victims/subjects.

Thanks all, with an extra tip o' the hat to Jason and Jim as well as Frank.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
14-Jun-2012, 08:46
I noticed recently that Lens and Repro was selling on eBay a 240mm Apo Ronar or some other 10" repro lens mounted to a piece of metal which sits on top of the 4x5 D hood, and functions like a magnifier. No clue how well this works, but might be worth a try. Of course, it L&R's version is a bit more expensive than drugstore reading glasses, but if you had a cheap 10" repro or enlarging lens sitting around give it a go!