PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Mount/Bed Plates?

Fragomeni
9-Apr-2011, 19:50
Does anyone know of a resource for mountable tripod plates? I mean the actual plate that would be mounted on the base of a view camera and has the female receiving end to take the tripod or quick release. There is 1 for a Deardorff on ebay but its too large for my purposes. I'm looking for something more narrow. Basically I'm mounting on the bottom of an 11x14 rear standard so it cant be a huge 6x6 inch plate. Any ideas? Thank you!

Paul Ewins
9-Apr-2011, 22:46
Just look the through the acra and manfrotto ranges. Manfrotto have the 410 plate which is squarish and also a few long plates (357, 501 etc) that could be used sideways along the bottom of the standard.

Fragomeni
10-Apr-2011, 00:32
No, I need the actual tripod socket that a quick release such as the ones you mentioned would attach to. I'm talking about what is normally built into a camera base or in the case of a Deardorff, the base plate.

Fragomeni
10-Apr-2011, 00:53
I ended up getting this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290373011902&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2604wt_1212). Jurgen (Skink) makes well made products and this looks as though it'll fit quite nicely in a recessed whole about the size I'm dealing with. These sockets are harder to come by then I expected!

Curt
10-Apr-2011, 01:02
Take a piece of brass, drill a hole and tap it for 1/4 20 or 3/8 16 and attach it to the bottom of the camera. Dado out and recess it for a really nice look. Square or rounded corners or in a pattern of your choice.

The cost is small.

Jim Jones
10-Apr-2011, 08:50
A T-nut mounted on the inside of the camera and extending to the bottom is stronger and much cheaper than the Skink.

Fragomeni
10-Apr-2011, 10:27
A T-nut mounted on the inside of the camera and extending to the bottom is stronger and much cheaper than the Skink.
T-nut is the name that I couldn't think of! Thanks! The skink is basically the same exact thing as a T-nut, just made specifically for cameras.

I would basically need 'C' in this image (http://www.rockwerxclimbing.com/upload/wysiwyg/T-NUT-EVOr.jpg). Can someone tell be the proper thread size? I'm wondering if the hardware store i.e. ACE, Hope Depot, Lowes, carries a T-nut that will receive a standard quick release screw. If anyone knows this please let me know. I'll probably just take a quick release up to the store today to see if I can find a match.

Michael Roberts
10-Apr-2011, 10:55
you can order a 1/4" 20-thread from McMaster-Carr

Jim Jones
10-Apr-2011, 16:54
Francesco -- The hardware stores you mention should have at least some of the styles you show. For maximum strength they are best mounted with the flange on top and the cylindrical portion extending through the camera body. This way the tripod or quick release plate is clamped to the camera body. The Skink relies on small screws to attach itself (and the camera) to the tripod or release plate.

Where the new tripod socket will be installed in fairly thick strong wood, there is another alternative: a cylinder, usually brass, that is threaded on both inside and outside. I forget what they are called. The inside threads fit the tripod or release plate. The outside threads engage the wood of the camera. I would also use epoxy on the outside threads to strengthen the bond with the camera's wood.

Michael Roberts
10-Apr-2011, 17:04
see post #12 in this link:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=47057&page=2&highlight=diy+ulf

it's the brass insert; unfortunately the links to the Mcm-C online catalog don't seem to be working any longer....

part no. is 90363A034

Oh, hell, I just checked...I've still got a bag of these. PM me your address and I'll mail you one if you want.

Fragomeni
10-Apr-2011, 23:33

So this ended up being the option I went with. Worked very well. Got the t-nut from ACE Hardware. They had various sizes with various lengths for the cylinder. I was surprised at the selection. Shame I already bought the Skink. It'll have to sit in one of my bottomless drawers of spare parts until either someone needs it or I come up with a use for it.

Francesco -- The hardware stores you mention should have at least some of the styles you show. For maximum strength they are best mounted with the flange on top and the cylindrical portion extending through the camera body. This way the tripod or quick release plate is clamped to the camera body. The Skink relies on small screws to attach itself (and the camera) to the tripod or release plate.

Yep this is exactly what i did. Works like a charm and the quick release plate it snugly held against the body of the frame.

Oh, hell, I just checked...I've still got a bag of these. PM me your address and I'll mail you one if you want.
Thanks Michael but got it all taken care of!