PDA

View Full Version : test shot problems

David Solow
9-Apr-2011, 11:35
First of all, thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience. I seem to be the number one poster on this particular forum over the last couple of days.

I have a test shot for a job attached below. The client wants the building shot from a particular place at night with a full moon (which I will Photoshop in later). Most importantly, they want to see the name of the company clearly (and brightly lit). The place to set up for this is in a brightly lit parking lot, with lots of lights pointing at the camera. Some of the lights on the buildings alongside the parking lot are around 8 feet high and broadcast light in all directions. All this is happening in front of the lens. The lights that are the worst are on the building directly to my left in parking lot. I have tried shooting a twilight, but the lighted letters of the company name are dim and lose the place as the focal point of the shot. I shot using Velvia 100F, because that is what the local dealer had in stock that day. It is Quickload, which expired four years ago, but had been refrigerated all that time. I shot this on my 4x5 Sinar P2, with a Rodenstock 210mm Apo-Sinaron-S. It is a three minute exposure at f/16. I scanned it using VueScan on an Epson V750. I took this photo about an hour after sunset. I thought about shooting the shot at twilight and then doing a second shot at night (just for the letters in the sign), but the lights in the parking lot come on quite early.

My questions are:

1- Is the glare coming from the left in the photo below the result of the lights in the parking lot?

2- If so, how would you suggest dealing with it?

3- What are all of these spots in the image? There appears to be no dust on the transparency or on the scanner glass. I used Quickload film and took it to the best processing place in the area the next morning.

Thanks in advance,
David

David Solow
9-Apr-2011, 11:37
here are the images I forgot to attach above

David Solow
9-Apr-2011, 11:40
The first image is obviously the test shot.

The second image is the detail showing the light coming from the left.

The third image is the detail showing the spots.

Brian C. Miller
9-Apr-2011, 11:56
For the general glare, I would use a compendium lens shade, or at least take a cardboard box, cut off the ends, and paint the insides black. That should remove the extraneous light.

For the spots, it looks like either a film problem or a development problem. Those definitely aren't dust spots. There seems to be a streak-like effect, so I'm guessing that the film and envelope somehow degraded during storage. There could have been condensation on the film during exposure, and then sliding the envelope in could have created the problem. That's my best guess.

Does the dealer have any sheet film in stock? Buy a box and try it. Also, when you remove the envelope or dark slide, let the film sit for two or so minutes. This will prevent it "popping" in the holder. (Actually, it will pop, and then go back to its original position.)

David Solow
10-Apr-2011, 05:09
I have two different 100% scans of the same film, Velvia 100F. Each sheet of film was processed on separate days. I did use the same lab for both. Can anyone tell, if it's the film or the lab?

David Solow
10-Apr-2011, 05:12
I'm referring to the spots in each shot. Both were shot using Velvia 100F Quickload.

Brian C. Miller
10-Apr-2011, 15:20
The only way to tell if it's the lab is to take some film to a different lab. Since the film is E6, something blocking the light would look like a white spot of some sort. If condensation were causing a problem with the emulsion, then it is possible that a dark spot like this could show up.

Look at the film with the light reflecting off of it. Do there seem to be any pits or bumps on the film? This would indicate that there's a problem with the lab's chemical solutions. If the film looks completely even, then it could be the film.

Shoot one more sheet (any subject will do) and take it to a different lab for processing, or else try a different box of sheet film, preferably with a newer expiration.

Kirk Gittings
10-Apr-2011, 16:17
I would still shoot this at twilight. This full night light is dead as a doornail and this building is not what you would call inspiring. The scene needs all the help it can get and the iridescent blue of twilight would add some color and drama. If the sign lettering is too dim at twilight wait until a little later when the sky is a cobalt blue and then dodge the letters in PS.

As per the flare from the lights off scene-you can try and shade it but the lights look really close to the edge of the frame. Another alternative is to back up and include the lights-get them away from the film edge and they might not flare as bad-see the streetlight at the bottom and then crop the image back to where you wanted it. Don't use filters as they will accentuate the problem.

The spots look like dirty chemistry to me.

David Solow
11-Apr-2011, 04:24
Thanks so much, Brian and Kirk.

Kirk, you're right. The photo needs all the help it can get. I'll shoot in twilight and see what happens.

David

Frank Petronio
11-Apr-2011, 04:43
Use Praus www.4photolab.com he uses proper chemistry. Use a dslr to test.

speedfreak
15-Apr-2011, 00:28
Don't know if it's possible, but could you move in closer to the building and use a slightly wider lens.