PDA

View Full Version : Light Weight Tripod

Geoffsco
9-Apr-2011, 02:16
I'm finding that my Manfrotto 055 is not quite as stable as I would like, and have started looking for a new tripod. I carry my camera mounted on the tripod over my shoulder, and usually walk 3-5km on an afternoon out, so am looking for something relatively light. The main camera I will be using it with is an Arca Swiss F 4x5.

Any recommendations appreciated. I've done a search, but am not too sure where to start, and I havn't quite cracked things such as the Gitzo numbering code.

Joanna Carter
9-Apr-2011, 03:26
Gitzo GT2531LVL (http://www.gitzo.com/product/72038.71837.77124.0.0/GT2531LVL/_/SER.2_6X_LEVELING_3S_G-LOCK)

Light(er), (more) stable and the levelling collar makes quick setup easy.

Lachlan 717
9-Apr-2011, 03:28
Kerry Thalmann's range of CF tripods are good.

jeroldharter
9-Apr-2011, 07:02
I have an Arca Swiss F-Line field camera too and went through the same process. I am very happy with my tripods now and would not buy anything different now if I had to.

On the lightest end for backpacking, minimalist travel, etc. I have a Feisol CT-3342 with an Arca Swiss Z1 ball head. The 3342 has 4 leg sections instead of 3 and is therefore somewhat shorter when packing so that is something to consider. But the tripod is quite stable and the quality is excellent. The legs flip over 180 degrees to protect the ball head and make a compact package for travel.

Later, I needed a rock solid tripod that I could use for an 8x10 camera too. So I bought a larger Feisol, the 3372. I could park a car on the top of that thing. It is still very light so using it hiking with the 8x10 is not bad.

I bought both of mine from Really Big Cameras:

http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Tripods

cjbroadbent
9-Apr-2011, 07:29
Look at pro video tripods like Vinten, get a pan plate and throw away your head.

E. von Hoegh
9-Apr-2011, 07:46
Tiltall.

Ari
9-Apr-2011, 09:00
Tiltall is an excellent choice, as is Feisol (though a bit pricey).
I was looking into Induro tripods when they happened to have a sale. I bought the A413 for under $200; I chose an aluminum tripod because it felt more stable, and it was only 1.5 pounds heavier. It's still very light, and I've had no problem carrying it around all day.
It turned out to be a great tripod; I use it mostly for the heavier camera, a Toyo G that weighs 14lbs with lens and Grafmatic. I would recommend their tripods, esp. the higher-end line of aluminum tripods.
I also have a Tiltall, which is small, light and perfect for the metal field camera. You can get them for $100 or less these days.

Steve M Hostetter
9-Apr-2011, 09:53
I used to own the biggest tripod Bogen makes which is 17 lbs .. I thought I needed it for the 8x10" sinar P but guess what? I bought a used Gitzo carbon fiber pod with "NO" center column and it works just fine with even my 11x14 attached..! I believe it's only 4 lbs

gardnermounce11
12-Apr-2011, 11:28
Would Tiltall be the brand to go with if I'm looking for a tripod at or under $200?

E. von Hoegh
12-Apr-2011, 11:58
Yep. Likely under $100. Stick with the Marchioni or Leitz versions.

gardnermounce11
12-Apr-2011, 17:56
Yep. Likely under $100. Stick with the Marchioni or Leitz versions.

What about a head?

Geoffsco
12-Apr-2011, 18:28
Thanks for your replies, they have given me a few things to look at and think about.

At this stage, I am thinking of buying a CF tripod. Not the cheapest route, but there certainly seems to be a significant weight saving when I will be regularly carrying a large format kit for a couple of hours at a time.

I'm looking for a tripod which will last me many years, so I am OK with spending a bit of money, and will probably buy used to fit my budget. I once had a decent tripod fall over on flat ground with a 35mm camera mounted. I don't want this to ever happen again, especially now I am using 4x5 and will probably try 8x10 in the future. I am more concerned with stability and reliability, even if the cost stings now. An Arca on the ground would sting more!

John Koehrer
12-Apr-2011, 18:57
What about a head?

Comes installed and isn't removable. It's a three way head. Sorta kinda.

E. von Hoegh
13-Apr-2011, 07:09
What about a head?

The head is part of the center post, it has fore and aft and left to right "tilts".
Google it, and you'll have a better idea than I can give you. I use (for the past 24 years) a Marchioni Tiltall for 35mm, Rolleis, and 4x5(Linhof STIV). I even put a Deardorff V8 on it for my very first 8x10 sheet. Make sure the spikes screw out of the ends of the legs and that the leg locks work properly.
I've never even considered switching tripods.

gardnermounce11
13-Apr-2011, 10:08
The head is part of the center post, it has fore and aft and left to right "tilts".
Google it, and you'll have a better idea than I can give you. I use (for the past 24 years) a Marchioni Tiltall for 35mm, Rolleis, and 4x5(Linhof STIV). I even put a Deardorff V8 on it for my very first 8x10 sheet. Make sure the spikes screw out of the ends of the legs and that the leg locks work properly.
I've never even considered switching tripods.

I can't find a Marchioni or a Leitz online anywhere. Any suggestions?

E. von Hoegh
13-Apr-2011, 10:24
http://tiltallsupport.blogspot.com/

Google is your friend!

Geoffsco
29-Apr-2011, 23:11
Thanks for you suggestions, I ended up goin with a bit of an unknown, a Really Right Stuff TVC-33. I have just received it, and it's really fantastic. Very well built, and very stable.

Frank Petronio
30-Apr-2011, 06:34
That's probably the best photo tripod made right now, not inexpensive but you can't second-guess it ;-) I think they make a new model that is heavier/taller, that's be the one I'm taking to Valhalla.