PDA

View Full Version : Creo iQsmart rail lubrication

alex.keller.sfsu
8-Apr-2011, 11:51
hi folks,

we have a Kodak Creo iQsmart 3 that is probably 4-5 years old. We have had the preventative maintenance performed on it a couple of times but it was really expensive. The scanner has recently slowed down significantly, taking much longer to physically perform the preview/scan tasks, and we believe it may have to do with the internal carriage rails not being properly lubricated.

I remember the Kodak technician lubricating the rails during the maintenance process but he was fairly secretive about the formula. If I wanted to perform this lubrication myself, do anybody know what sort of grease/oil should be used and where/how it should be applied?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sincerely,
alex

Peter De Smidt
8-Apr-2011, 12:36
Use a small amount of a high quality watch oil. Put a drop or two on a soft lint-free cloth and wipe the rails. Then run a clean cloth over the rails, as you only need a very small amount of oil on the rails.

alex.keller.sfsu
8-Apr-2011, 14:27
thanks Peter for the super quick reply, much appreciated!
best,
alex

SURF
9-Apr-2011, 05:45
Hi Alex!

The scanner has recently slowed down significantly, taking much longer to physically perform the preview/scan tasks

It can happen when the scanner lamp is old. The scanner needs more time to sample the needed amount of light.

Regards,
Al

alex.keller.sfsu
21-Apr-2011, 20:31
thanks Peter and Al for the thoughtful suggestions!

I obtained some high quality watch oil and lubricated the rails, but it didn't have a noticeable effect on the scan speed. I ran the diagnostics and the results indicated no problems (see below). If the lamps were getting dim, would this be indicated in the diagnostics? I also have the more detailed LogFile.Diagnostics, is there anything in that output that could help pinpoint the source of the speed issues?

If the lamps were getting dim, could I order and replace the lamps myself? How about a recommendation on scanner service in the San Francisco Bay Area?

sorry for all the questions! really appreciate the guidance.

best,
alex
-------------------------------------------------
General Information

Application Version:Version 2.6.1
Scanner Number:SC1201430
Date:Tue Apr 12 12:29:44 2011
Scanner Type:iQsmart3
Board CompLevel Test:7Q0
Head CompLevel Test:

Enclosure Unit : Pass
Power Supply Unit : Pass
Fan Unit : Pass
Control Board Unit : Pass

Head Assembly Unit : Pass
CCD Head Cables Unit : Pass
CCD Head Unit : Pass

Transparent Lamp Unit : Pass
Reflectance Lamp Unit : Pass

Main Axis Unit : Pass
Lens Axis Unit : Pass
Focus Axis Unit : Pass

Dark Shutter Unit : Pass
================================================

Peter De Smidt
21-Apr-2011, 20:51
I don't have a Creo, but on my Screen Cezanne, another large pro flatbed, the bulbs are easily user replaceable. Do you have manual? If not, can you check if you can download one? If Kodak doesn't seem helpful, maybe MPEX (Midwest Photo Exchange) might be, as they carry the Kodak/Creo flatbeds.

Uffe Nygren
24-Apr-2011, 01:57
Call Ryan Newton at www.foreversmarts.com.
HeŽll know.

//Uffe

omnicow
18-Dec-2011, 13:37
It's definitely not a good idea to lubricate the rails. As the scanner lamps dim, scanning speed will be reduced to compensate for exposure. You'll want to clean the rails with isopropyl alcohol and change the lamps if necessary. It is easy to visually assess the age of iQsmart lamps as the white paper behind the lamps will be yellow when they are old. Please contact me if you have any questions. I frequently travel to California to perform scanner maintenance.

Ryan Newton
ForEverSmarts.com