PDA

View Full Version : Help with lens boards on KEH (new to LF)

ergumeno
7-Apr-2011, 07:00
Hi

Im setting up a cambo legend and i cant find the difference between a 34 or 35 hole lens board on KEH...

it supposed that both works with a Copal #0 shutter? (34.6mm)

a calumet lens board works also for the cambo legend?

need some advice please!

David de Gruyl
7-Apr-2011, 08:09
Most likely, they are for Copal 0, but to stay on the safe side, go with 35mm (the hole can be a bit bigger and you will have no problems).

No idea about lens boards in the cambo camera.

rdenney
7-Apr-2011, 08:10
Hi

Im setting up a cambo legend and i cant find the difference between a 34 or 35 hole lens board on KEH...

it supposed that both works with a Copal #0 shutter? (34.6mm)

need some advice please!

Some of the retaining rings have a lip that nestles down into the hole, and others are flat. Thus, to fit a given retaining ring, a hole might be slightly larger than is required to fit around the threads on the shutter. KEH addresses this issue by measuring their boards explicitly. All the boards with 34 and 35 holes are drilled to fit a Number 0 shutter, but a given retaining ring may not fit down into the hole if it has that shoulder. Rarely has that ever been an issue for me, though I have had to move retainers around a bit at times when I bought the board before measuring the ring's shoulder (if it has one).

Yes, lens boards for the Calumet 45 series will fit on a Cambo. In fact, they are made by Cambo. The lens boards for older Calumet cameras (the CC-400 series, in particular) are 4x4" variants and won't fit.

Rick "who has both Calumet and Cambo-branded boards on his Calumet 45NX" Denney

John Schneider
7-Apr-2011, 08:19
I've always been under the assumption that the boards have same size hole, despite small differences in how KEH sizes them. I can't imagine KEH employing trained inspectors with Starrett calipers to accurately measure the holes;)

rdenney
7-Apr-2011, 08:33
I've always been under the assumption that the boards have same size hole, despite small differences in how KEH sizes them. I can't imagine KEH employing trained inspectors with Starrett calipers to accurately measure the holes;)

Trained? Starrett calipers? More like a clerk with a ruler. But I believe they do measure them. Enough boards were cut for non-standard shutters to make the actual measurements appreciated, despite possible lapses in precision.

I bought a small drum-sanding kit at Home Depot, which I mount in my drill press. I can use that to enlarge an opening slightly, and to smooth an opening that I cut with a hole saw. I've had to adjust a few lens boards, but mostly those that I bought for unusual sizes, such as the 50mm opening required for the vintage 121/8 Super Angulon, or the hole required for a Graphic press shutter.

Rick "who can measure to the nearest millimeter with a rule easily enough" Denney

rdenney
7-Apr-2011, 08:36

In a quick review of the KEH site for another thread, I now see that all their Calumet-branded lens boards are intended for the older CC-400-series cameras. These are marked "(4x4)" and are not compatible with Cambo. You can tell the Cambo-style boards, even if they are labeled Calumet, by the two notches in the top for the lens lock.

Rick "clarifying" Denney