PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Yosemite

rolex87
6-Apr-2011, 20:02
Hey all,

My name's Mike and I work here in Yosemite. I recently traded some car parts for this unknown 4x5...cant find any markings or anything and was wondering it looks familiar to you. I can take more pics if necessary. It came with a lens board with a Caltar II-N 90mm 6.8. It's brand new to me and I won't be immediately using it just yet but I will be surfing the forum for lots of info.

I'm 27 and originally grew up as a member of the digital generation, but have since added 35mm, a 645 and now this odd looking wood thing to my collection. I'm just liking film more it seems...

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/9160/cam1ye.jpg (http://img830.imageshack.us/i/cam1ye.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Thanks for reading!

Mike Reeves
Yosemite National Park

Brian Vuillemenot
6-Apr-2011, 20:12
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum- you've come to the right place. The camera looks like a Tachihara to me, but I'm not positive, so someone else please chime in. The Caltar is a great lens; I have a 210 Caltar that I got for next to nothing and it's just as sharp as any other lens I own. Should be a great setup for you in Yosemite.

How are the waterfalls looking this year- pretty spectacular I'll bet with all the rain and snow we've had! I will be out next month for a few days of camping and photography and greatly look forward to it.

rolex87
6-Apr-2011, 20:19
Thanks!

The guy who traded it to me said he was "pretty sure" it was, but some of the front hardware looks a little different when I look at them online. I'm sure the designs changed a lot over the years though.

I'm normally more of a zoom guy so I'm looking at a 150 and a 210 and I'm glad to hear that you like yours. Budget will keep me in the Caltar range and I may be buying a vehicle soon so those may be for the future. I hope to play with it in the coming months and get the hang of it. I'm sure Yosemite will yield me some great images in the future as it has in the past.

Vaughn
6-Apr-2011, 20:37
Hey Mike,

Looks to be a good start to LF. If it is a Tachihara, it is an older one with no front swings. But a fine looking camera.

You have a nicely remodeled darkroom there at the Gallery -- hopefully you'll be able to use it (when they are not teaching digital workshops in it, that is!)

A 150mm will suit you fine as will a 210. I have never been much for wide angle, but it still will be nice to have it in the kit.

A good friend worked over 20 years at the Gallery -- it was always great to be able to visit him. Enjoy your time there!

Vaughn

SamReeves
7-Apr-2011, 08:24
Likewise, Tachi is a great little workhorse. Welcome.

J Ney
7-Apr-2011, 13:12
Welcome, Mike!!

Doesn't look like a Tachi to me (at least not the one I have)...

Regardless, one of the joys of LF photography is that form matters much less than function... if it works for you, who the Hell cares what brand it is ;-)

Vick Vickery
7-Apr-2011, 19:42
Welcome to group therapy! Looks like a nice camera, but others can better identify it since I'm mostly a rail camera user (with a Super Graphic for backup). The Caltar 90mm is a nice lens; I'd recommend a second lens in the 150mm-160mm range (normal) and later something around 210mm after you've played with the others for a little while. You didn't say what other odds and ends you already have, but you need a couple of film holders and a tripod to get started at a minimum. Have fun with your new toy...you're located in a great place to enjoy it!

rolex87
7-Apr-2011, 22:42
Thanks Vaughn, I assumed it was older. The brass isn't tarnished but it's more of a dull finish, like it was bead blasted or something similar. Aside from a couple small nicks it's in great shape. I really came out great in the trade. I just wanted to roughly know what it was for purposes of adding stuff to it one day.

Well, I've got plenty of tripods and other cameras, but the trade included 6 or 8 film holders, changing bag, loupe and some other goodies. I'll be getting a new bag for it soon but I'll see about the other lenses one of these days. I'd also like to get a rear screen with a grid...I'm terribly bad at leveling things.

Next comes researching films and since I shoot 35 and 120 I'll be looking for a scanner at some point.

Carlos R Herrera
9-Apr-2011, 16:35
TAAG had a 35mm slide scanner (Nikon Coolscan 4000?) for workshop use...unless I borrowed it from Charlie Cramer. I forget. They must have newer equipment by now.

Say Hello to Kate D and Carol M for me....and Sally O if she is still around

CH

rolex87
9-Apr-2011, 20:45
Will do!

The scanner is still around but needs a cord (which Ive found online) but I think the software is an issue or something. Nothing newer since it's mostly digital workshops these days. I just want one of my own since it'll be easier.

Weather has been great lately but a little wet. I've been trying to figure out the field of view at my favorite places. Since I'm used to zooms and telephoto lenses, no view is too "close" so I can always crop down a bit.

Carlos R Herrera
9-Apr-2011, 21:02
I've been trying to figure out the field of view at my favorite places. Since I'm used to zooms and telephoto lenses, no view is too "close" so I can always crop down a bit.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=41735&highlight=viewing+frame

rolex87
10-Apr-2011, 10:01
Ah, very nice.

I have a similar thing that is in 4x6 that I made out of metal as I have a tremendous ability to destroy matboard. I also pass them out on camera walks and yesterday it got used on a guiding session.

I'll look into it!

srbphoto
25-Apr-2011, 20:50
Hi Mike,

Welcome. I lived in the Valley in 89/90. Worked at the Village Store for Curry.

Just relax and enjoy the new perspective of the ground glass. Don't surf the forums too much! There are some pretty good folks wandering the Valley who would be more than happy to answer a few questions.

Take care

Scott

grahamcase
25-Apr-2011, 21:53
According to this site: http://sites.google.com/site/mycamerasforsale/4x5-large-format-camera (and the supplied video) your camera is an Inka, though yours is in immaculate condition compared to this one, it seems.

According to the little amount of info on the above website, it's Dutch made!

Congrats, she's a beaut! And you live in Yosemite, which is a magical place I've never been, but would love to visit as soon as possible!

Jim Fitzgerald
25-Apr-2011, 21:56
Mike, nice to see that you are shooting 4x5. I will say this that if you see me in the valley with my 8x10 or my 3 ULF cameras don't take a look under the ground glass or it will be all over. It only gets better the bigger you go! Enjoy and if you do see me out with the 14x17 be sure to stop and say hi.

srbphoto
25-Apr-2011, 22:05
It's not how big it is but what you do with it!

at least that's what those of us with little cameras keep telling ourselves.

rolex87
26-Apr-2011, 14:54
Scott, I hear ya. Too many forum experts and not enough photographers! The Canon forums are way worse... This time of year is still good to shoot but summer will be my editing time (except for backpacking) so I'm not on the computer too much.

Graham, thanks for that, my friend sent it to me a couple days ago and that's it sure enough. I hope "rare" means super expensive :) Will that be a big deal for lens boards, etc? I'd like to get the ground glass replaced with one that has a grid but I have yet to really research it. I suppose a lens board isn't a big deal since they seem easy enough to make in case no one makes them.

At this point it seems to work fine, is light tight and draws lots of attention. I guess I won't be going around in stealth mode with it or anything.

Jim, are you going to be around the valley soon? I'm sure you'll be easy to spot. If not, stop by and say hello!

Jim Fitzgerald
26-Apr-2011, 18:23
Mike, I may try to sneak a trip before the crowds hit. i need to continue my work documenting the Black oaks in the valley. I was up at the end of March at the tail end of the big storm and took the 8x10 out for a snow day! It was pure magic!

rolex87
28-Apr-2011, 22:06
that storm was great until the power went out. then it got cold in a hurry!

Jim Fitzgerald
30-Apr-2011, 10:10
That's why I got there on Friday the 25th. Limited power in Curry. Heated room in the Stoneman House. Great three days.

rolex87
30-Apr-2011, 10:16
Nice! I hung out here for a few days after that with no hot water or power. Let's just say that bags of snow in my freezer didn't melt, since it was about 35 in my house the whole time. I'm told it was built at Ansel's request as a summer cabin, so it's a little chilly in the cold months!

Jim Fitzgerald
30-Apr-2011, 11:27
Mike, I hear ya. But look where you get to live!!

Vaughn
30-Apr-2011, 15:09
My friend Glenn lived in those "cabins" for over 20 years, visiting him in the winters was great -- one just has to dress warmly! (and photograph quick as the days were short -- and made shorter by the Valley walls!LOL!)

Enjoy your time there!

Vaughn

Lon Overacker
2-May-2011, 00:19
Mike,

Me and a couple other brain dead old farts from this forum will be up there a week from Wednesday. If we stop by the gallery, as we often do, we'll drop in and say hi. And if you happen to see 3 guys with funny looking cameras on top of their tripods, that will be us.
good luck putting your LF gear together and have fun with it all!

Lon

Preston
2-May-2011, 06:38
Lon, who you callin' a BDOF? :-)

Mike, welcome to the asylum. Hopefully we can tie in with you.

--P

Lon Overacker
2-May-2011, 11:21
Didn't want to name names Preston... now you've done it! :D

Preston
2-May-2011, 11:47
Lon,

I am proud of my current BDOF status. I have two remaining brain cells. One is showing smoke, so I have to be really careful how I use the good one. :-)

I'm looking forward to being in The Valley!

--P

rolex87
2-May-2011, 12:32
My friend Glenn lived in those "cabins" for over 20 years, visiting him in the winters was great -- one just has to dress warmly! (and photograph quick as the days were short -- and made shorter by the Valley walls!LOL!)

Enjoy your time there!

Vaughn

Once you have enough clothes on, it's great!

rolex87
2-May-2011, 12:36
Mike,

Me and a couple other brain dead old farts from this forum will be up there a week from Wednesday. If we stop by the gallery, as we often do, we'll drop in and say hi. And if you happen to see 3 guys with funny looking cameras on top of their tripods, that will be us.
good luck putting your LF gear together and have fun with it all!

Lon

I'll be there that day so stop by and say hello!

At this point I'm trying to figure out my field of view at all my spots, and a 210 is looking more up my alley, but I want to get some film first. The camera came with a fuji quickload holder but I want some black and white action too, so maybe some provia 100f quickloads and then some T-Max. So much research...

Preston
2-May-2011, 12:51
"So much research..."

--In one of the most beautiful laboratories on the planet! I'm envious.

We'll definitely stop by, Mike.

--P

rolex87
2-May-2011, 13:03
I should rephrase : "So much research online regarding so much stuff!"

At least I can look outside the window and see Castle Cliffs and Indian Canyon!

Sirius Glass
2-May-2011, 15:56
Better to be a BDOF, than a dead BDOF [aka DBDOF]!

Steve

Bill Suderman
21-May-2011, 06:53
Hi,
I have the "same" camera, bought it on an auction site, several years ago. It only says Calumet on the base plate, no other info. I asked a Calumet rep at a trade show about it, response was something from China, I forget the names though. Most importantly, it weighs only 2 1/2 pounds, not good in gusty wind, but otherwise superb. I carry it as part of a "30 pound" kit in my Lowe backpack. Included in the kit is: 1-65mm Prontar, 1-90mm Fujinon, 1-120mm Nikor HM, 1-150 Nikor, 1-210 Schnieder convertable, one spotmeter, 1 SBC, basic color/blkWhte filters (one size with step-up rings, leatherman & jewelers screwdrivers, tripod w/ballhead, Readyload w/box of Velvia and Tmax, darkcloth, etc. Last summer, I carried this all over your valley (before 10am, crowds not moving yet, parking possible), wore this some years ago all over Scotland, Icy Straights, Alaska, to name a few places. I really enjoy this kit, easy as a carry-on, travaling with unexposed film is difficult with TSA, but with a big land to see in the sw, I'll do a lot of tailgate work (I have a pop-up trailer and am retired now).

Make the most of where you are located, bet you cannot wear out your camera-I'm trying to wear mine out, but it still shows no hint that I'm succeeding.
Best,
Bill

madmax12
21-May-2011, 06:59
welcome to the insanity of LF

rolex87
21-May-2011, 21:10
Bill, I'm interested in finding out what kind of lens boards you used, and if they might fit mine. I picked up a second lens and am eager to find a lens board. I have a workshop with John Sexton and Charlie Cramer in October and am looking to be somewhat comfortable with it by then.

Thanks Max!

Bill Suderman
22-May-2011, 06:12
Being somewhat handy with woodworking tools, and having priced lensboards ($35.00+ ea.), I make my own boards. Get to know someone in the maintainance shop to help, I use a small table saw to cut 1/4" plywood into squares, lower the blade to "dado" the edges and forstner drill bits in a drillpress to make the proper size hole for the lens barrel. Then use another larger forstner bit to "dado" that hole to accomodate the locking ring. (Actually drill the larger dado first, then a smaller bit to cut through...both bits will use the same center guide hole.) Use a little flat black spray paint to coat the inside surface of the board and coat the outside of the board with stain to match the camera body and spread polyurthane on to seal it. I cut a half dozen blank boards all at one time and will drill them as needed at a later time.
Enjoy,
B

PS Because you "work" in Yosemite, where would you go for vacation?

rolex87
22-May-2011, 08:00
My vacation this year is the Sexton/Cramer workshop, and it's in Lee Vining/Mono Lake.

Other areas on my list are the San Juans in autumn, the Zion area, "the rockies" and the dunes of death valley somewhere. I still have lots of research to do!