PDA

View Full Version : Determining age and caring for 5x7 Kodak 2D

Ken Lee
6-Apr-2011, 16:17
Although I already have one, I have acquired another 5x7 Kodak 2D. I have had good luck shooting with the one I already have, but this one is in even better shape, and the price was right.

From this page (http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/ekc/2d.htm), we know that the 5x7 2D was made from 1921 to 1950.

1) The number 11 is etched into the camera and tail board: does this indicate serial number or date of manufacture ? (The camera came with a wooden film holder dated 1927, but that doesn't mean that the camera is from that date).

2) The bellows on the camera are original. What is a good material to apply to them, to keep them fresh and functioning ?

3) The wood appears to have a varnish or similar finish on it. I don't want to strip it off. Is there anything I can apply which will preserve and maintain the existing finish ?

DanK
6-Apr-2011, 16:35
I'm unsure as to dating...so am curious as to what develops from this thread as well...

I have an early Eastman View 2, it is stamped 20...

And my later 2D, is stamped 35...

Extension rails stamped as well...

As far as care, I personally use Original Pledge on both wood and bellows...and have been for a few years now with no issues...

Thanks,
Dan

goamules
6-Apr-2011, 17:09
The serial number is underneath the rear standard, on the base wood. You have to tilt the back and look under the bellows if I recall. This is a partial date list: http://www.southbristolviews.com/graflexchange/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=591

Tim k
6-Apr-2011, 17:26
Garrett, are you the same Garrett that gave the presentation at the Tucson camera show a week or two ago? This is not really a hijack, just a minor derailment.

DanK
6-Apr-2011, 17:42
The serial number is underneath the rear standard, on the base wood. You have to tilt the back and look under the bellows if I recall. This is a partial date list: http://www.southbristolviews.com/graflexchange/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=591

Thanks Garrett....

Learn something new everyday....

On mine, the 2D serial number is on the left side, tilt the back, (lower forward) and there it is....

174xxx

But, didn't see one anywhere near the same area on the Eastman View 2.....any ideas?

EDIT - I did find a stamped number at the top of the rear surface of the body (where the back mounts) - number 25xx - might this number be the serial?

(both are 5x7...btw)

Thanks again,
Dan

Jim C.
6-Apr-2011, 19:48
3) The wood appears to have a varnish or similar finish on it. I don't want to strip it off. Is there anything I can apply which will preserve and maintain the existing finish ?

Test in a inconspicuous place with denatured alcohol first to determine what
the finish actually is then use whatever would be recommended for that particular
finish, alcohol dissolves shellac but not lacquer, so for a shellac finish,
use furniture wax for example.

Bill_1856
7-Apr-2011, 10:49
Unclip the GG frame, and you will see the serial number visible on the back standard.
Mine is #157367. I'd be interested in knowing how old it is.

Cesar Barreto
7-Apr-2011, 17:50
I also have 2 5x7 cameras, #107344 and #252397, but the second shows a very, very small date, 1933, printed on the side of the metal name plate.
They also have stamped numbers 77 and 90, but I guess it was just kind of code for assembling, since it appears twice on the second one.

Mark MacKenzie
10-Apr-2011, 07:43
Mine is 446784, a 5x7 2D made by Graflex, Inc. for Eastman Kodak Co.

I believe that makes it made in the 40's. It has not been restored and the brass plaque was installed crooked by Graflex. (I'm not a fan of Graflex quality control.)

-Mark