PDA

View Full Version : 6x17 Macro lens?

Panoman617
6-Apr-2011, 07:51
I'm looking to get a lens to do some close up nature photos with a 6x17 camera. Any thoughts on where to start? I also have a Nikon 62mm T5 and t6 close up filter could these be used? I'd like to do some close ups of like plants and rocks.

Dan Fromm
6-Apr-2011, 09:33
Bob Salomon will eventually tell you that there's a 180 mm Rodenstock macro lens.

But and however, which camera do you have? 5x7 view camera that takes a 6x17 back or one those more-or-less conical box cameras with a focusing helical at the front?

Panoman617
6-Apr-2011, 10:25
I'm looking at getting a Shenhao 6x17 field camera.

drew.saunders
6-Apr-2011, 10:41
The Shen-Hao, according to Badger, has 310mm of bellows draw. In LF, any lens can be "macro" if you have enough bellows, but do you want a lens that's specifically optimized for macro? If you're willing to live with a little less-than-flat field, then get a general purpose lens in the 150mm or shorter range that you can use for general photography as well as close-ups.

There are lots of lenses that will cover 6x17 at infinity, here's a useful list, but there are many more: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF6x17cm.html

Panoman617
6-Apr-2011, 10:52
Thanks Drew

Joshua Dunn
6-Apr-2011, 11:29
The title of your post is “6x17 Macro lenes?” but the first line of you question is “I'm looking to get a lens to do some close up nature photos with a 6x17 camera.” Which are you looking to do? True macro images require a real macro lens. If you are looking to do close up work than many lenses will work for you, but in my opinion for macro work and the technical demands it creates you need a dedicated macro lens. If you are you are looking to do plants and rocks a good 150mm lens might work.

Here’s how I would do macro work on 6x17 (see imags below).

The rear standard is a 5x7 Sinar P, the front standard is a Sinar F2. I used the F2 front standard rather than the P to save a little weight. The lens is a Nikkor 120mm AM ED. This is a great lens for macro work. The rear standard has been modified with a ground glass that is marked off for 6x17 format (I used gafferes tape) for composing and then replaced with a K.B. Canham 6x17 roll film back to capture the image.

There are some 6x17 roll film backs that will fit 4x5 however if you use too much bellows draw (from either a long lens or extending the bellows for macro work) they will vignette the sides of the image. But they would allow you the versatility of using a 4x5 camera rather than buying a dedicated 6x17 camera like the Shen-Hao. Not to knock the Shen-Hao, I’ve never used it and it looks like a good camera, but just that you don’t always want to shoot 6x17

Hope this helps…

Panoman617
6-Apr-2011, 12:23
Jushua I just want to only shoot 6x17. I've be shooting a Fuji G6x17 now for some time. But it has a fixed 105 mm lens. And I've had to become a human zoom with it. The min focus is about 9 ft. So I've ben looking at the shenhao 6x17. I'd like to get some fuji lenes for it like a 150mm Cm-w, 250mm cm-w, 300mm cm-w and 450mm cm-w, Somethings I've shot in the past I can't get close to. Rivers, lakes, in the way. I'd like a way to shoot Macro stuff also like small rock formations, moss on log, mushrooms kinda stuff.

dave_whatever
6-Apr-2011, 12:29
I also have a Nikon 62mm T5 and t6 close up filter could these be used? I'd like to do some close ups of like plants and rocks.

They could certainly be used on a large format lens. I have used a 5T on a 150mm symmar.

Lachlan 717
6-Apr-2011, 13:07
The Shen Hao with a 150mm G Claron will give you slightly better than 1:1 with flat field.

Joshua Dunn
6-Apr-2011, 13:21
Panoman,

Sounds like the Shen-Hao 6x17 would be a good choice. I have been eyeing the 6x24 myself. I can’t recommend the Nikkor 120mm AM ED Macro lens enough. It’s very sharp, small and light, and the 120mm focal length requires less bellows draw than longer focal length macro lenses. Given the 310mm bellows draw of the Shen-Hao 6x17 this could be important.

You mentioned the Fuji Lenses you were interested in. I have Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikkor and a few old brass lenses with no names. Fuji makes some fine lenses but keep your mind open t getting a good deal on some other brands as well. You might get lucky and find a Schneider 240mm and 150mm Symmar-S for about the price a Fuji 250mm CM-W. Every once in a while there are still good buys on evilbay and I have made some terrific buys on this forum.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob Salomon
6-Apr-2011, 13:50
There is no 180mm lens for macro for a Linhof 617 S III. There is a 180mm for a view camera.

the real answer to your question will depend on what camera you are using. If you are looking at a Technorama type camera then, regardless of brand, the answer is no. These type of cameras use a helicoid focusing mount and that limits the closest distance because of the length of the helicoid. So if this type of camera is being used the only answer would be with a really high quality close-up lens like an achromat multi element one from Heliopan. But these may have more magnification then you want.

Otherwise you could use a lens like the 180mm Apo Macro Sironar on a bellows focusing camera that can shoot 617.

Or you could have someone like Grimes machine an extension system for a camera like the Technorama 617 S III but it would be extremely expensive. One thing you would need to do this is the Linhof ground glass back for the 617 S III with the magnifier and the holder for the magnifier. Otherwise there is no way to focus and compose doing macro.

Lachlan 717
6-Apr-2011, 15:11
There is no 180mm lens for macro for a Linhof 617 S III. There is a 180mm for a view camera.

the real answer to your question will depend on what camera you are using. If you are looking at a Technorama type camera then, regardless of brand, the answer is no. These type of cameras use a helicoid focusing mount and that limits the closest distance because of the length of the helicoid. So if this type of camera is being used the only answer would be with a really high quality close-up lens like an achromat multi element one from Heliopan. But these may have more magnification then you want.

Otherwise you could use a lens like the 180mm Apo Macro Sironar on a bellows focusing camera that can shoot 617.

Or you could have someone like Grimes machine an extension system for a camera like the Technorama 617 S III but it would be extremely expensive. One thing you would need to do this is the Linhof ground glass back for the 617 S III with the magnifier and the holder for the magnifier. Otherwise there is no way to focus and compose doing macro.

The OP states quite clearly that this is for a Shen Hao 617. But I guess that you still wanted to put the words "Linhof" and "Technorama" into this post somewhere.

Bob Salomon
7-Apr-2011, 01:52
The OP states quite clearly that this is for a Shen Hao 617. But I guess that you still wanted to put the words "Linhof" and "Technorama" into this post somewhere.

Where? I don't see what possibnle information you passed on in your response to anyone regarding the question.

"6x17 Macro lens?
I'm looking to get a lens to do some close up nature photos with a 6x17 camera. Any thoughts on where to start? I also have a Nikon 62mm T5 and t6 close up filter could these be used? I'd like to do some close ups of like plants and rocks."

Lachlan 717
7-Apr-2011, 03:13
OP, Bob, is "Original Poster".

Have a look at his post in #3.

Bob Salomon
7-Apr-2011, 03:30
OP, Bob, is "Original Poster".

Have a look at his post in #3.

And I responded to 1. Sorry if it offended you.

Lachlan 717
7-Apr-2011, 04:01
And I responded to 1. Sorry if it offended you.

You didn't offend me.

You flummoxed me.

I don't understand why Traders are not allowed on this Forum, yet you can push your Organisation's products.

Still, just like how boats can sail faster than the wind, I'm happy to accept it without having it explained to me.

Panoman617
7-Apr-2011, 05:45
Jushua I've just liked the Fuji lenes in the past on my G6x17 And have not used meny other type lenes. I've got some 4x5 stuff I'm going to put up for sale once I get my 30 days in here.

Bob I would like to get a Linhof 617 S III but it not in the buget yet. I've only got 4 years till I can retirer from my day job as a photographer. Then I'd like to go out and shoot the stuff I like shooting. 6x17
http://www.imagehosting.gr/out.php/t1533647_mdot-03-11-05.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.gr/show.php/1533647_mdot-03-11-05.jpg.html)

This is one I shoot on the Fuji 6x17.

Thanks

Bob Salomon
7-Apr-2011, 06:02
Jushua I've just liked the Fuji lenes in the past on my G6x17 And have not used meny other type lenes. I've got some 4x5 stuff I'm going to put up for sale once I get my 30 days in here.

Bob I would like to get a Linhof 617 S III but it not in the buget yet. I've only got 4 years till I can retirer from my day job as a photographer. Then I'd like to go out and shoot the stuff I like shooting. 6x17
http://www.imagehosting.gr/out.php/t1533647_mdot-03-11-05.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.gr/show.php/1533647_mdot-03-11-05.jpg.html)

This is one I shoot on the Fuji 6x17.

Thanks
Then you still have the same limitation. There is no extended helicoid so you are down to a custom modification or a quality close up lens and ground glass focusing.