PDA

View Full Version : Big foot for big camera

luphot
6-Apr-2011, 07:39
I recently got a big 19x19in old camera.
it's a double extention bed but non folding.
It's only 40 pounds but needed a sturdy tripod.
Too heavy for my majestic gear head while it hasn't sliding block.
I inspired of Ty Guillory design but with a long 43" plate so I had to do some mods:
1) three legs are not at equal distance; two on the front, one on the rear plate.
It was ok but impossible to fold along the plate. You need to screw the two front wood blocks (where the legs are articulated) parallele to the plate edges and you must cut it with an angle (approx 60°)
2) If you just link the three legs together with a chain, it won't be stable enough: You must link the two front legs under the plate with a non adjustable cable and the rear leg with an adjustable chain. This way allows you to adjust the inclination of the camera with the rear leg extention and you won't need gear head.
Ok, it's quite heavy with camera on it but it works.
I don't know if my english is precise enough but pics should help.

luphot
6-Apr-2011, 07:42
...And fold

SamReeves
6-Apr-2011, 08:19
Now try fitting it into a backpack! :D

All kidding aside, it's a fascinating camera to look at.

Drew Bedo
13-Apr-2011, 18:20
Go to Home Depot. They sell a saw horse looking clamp called a "Jaw-Horse", that is rigid but folds . . .and will clamp securely on a very large and heavy object.

http://www.home-improvement-superstore.com/positec-usa-inc-rk9000-saw-horse-clamp.html

Vaughn
13-Apr-2011, 20:22
Has Home Depot invaded Paris yet? ;)

But a nice camera support for your 19x19!!

eduardtoader
14-Apr-2011, 14:21
You could consider a laser level tripod in Brico Depot for 40 euros or similar. Or two. I see it wel made.