PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to store Tmax 100 for longivity?

octagon
2-Nov-2000, 16:12
I am considering buying a large quanity of TMax 100 sheet film as a hedge agains t Kodak discontinuing the film. What is the best way to store it and how long d o you think the film would last?

David A. Goldfarb
2-Nov-2000, 16:18
You could freeze it and it should last for years, but I don't see any signs of Kodak stopping production of T-Max 100. It's precisely the emulsion that's replacing everything slower. They even make T-Max in glass plates.

pat krentz
2-Nov-2000, 16:27
Dave, the last time I was at Calmet in L.A. they told us that Tri-x (4x5)was selling about twice as much as T-Max (4x5, being a Tri-x fan that was good news. I agree that cold storage 40-F or less will keep the film for years. But why not store the top film (Tri-X). I just couldn't resist putting that in. Pat

John Hicks
2-Nov-2000, 18:31
Freeze it. With such a slow film that'll extend the useful life pretty much inde finitely.

I really doubt it'll be discontinued anytime soon except perhaps in some speci fic very slow-selling formats; Kodak has nothing to replace it and since they're doing no r&d in silver-based b&w materials they probably won't have a replaceme nt for a _long_ time.