PDA

View Full Version : Best online store for film?

gardnermounce11
5-Apr-2011, 08:53
Hello all!

I'm wondering if and where you shop online for 4x5 film. I've searched ebay, keh, bh, etc, and found film to be priced pretty regularly across the board. Are there deals to be found elsewhere?

Gem Singer
5-Apr-2011, 08:56
Try:

www.badgergraphic.com

Jim Noel
5-Apr-2011, 09:16
I buy 90% of my film from Freestyle. They carry a good variety at good prices.

Brian Ellis
5-Apr-2011, 09:39
It would help to know where you're located.

Noah A
5-Apr-2011, 09:40
I used to buy all of my film from B&H, but for some reason they STILL don't have the new Portra 400 in sheets.

I've been using Freestyle and Unique Photo for my recent Portra 400 needs.

B&H has a better website since it shows real-time stock information and if I order by mid-day I get my order the following day even with standard ground shipping.

Ari
5-Apr-2011, 10:34
I just finished my last box of Shanghai 4x5, and I'll be ordering some more soon.
Roughly $0.50 per sheet and good quality.
You can purchase from eBay.

gardnermounce11
5-Apr-2011, 10:53
It would help to know where you're located.

Memphis.

Dave Jeffery
5-Apr-2011, 12:03
Samy's Camera

http://www.samys.com/index/page/category/category_id/443/category_chain/382,443/name/Film/

4x5
http://www.samys.com/index/page/category/category_id/443/category_chain/382,443/name/Film/#product_listing=%3Fcurrent_page%3D1%26results_per_page%3D15%26order_by%3Dcategory_product_position%26search_params%3DCategory_DELIMITER_id%3A443%3A%3AProductTypeAttribute_DELIMITER_custom_film_format%3A4x5%2522%26search%3Dtrue

SamReeves
6-Apr-2011, 08:23
Freestyle seems to be the only way to go for the B&W. Otherwise B&H, eBay, or Unique for the color film.

cdholden
6-Apr-2011, 08:32
MPEX is located in Ohio. While their website may not be the best, they are helpful on the phone, have good pricing and cheap shipping since they are not as far from TN as NY/CA .

Chris

Bruce Watson
6-Apr-2011, 08:40
Try:

www.badgergraphic.com

+1 for Badger.

Bill Kumpf
6-Apr-2011, 09:07
B&W 4x5 film from badger

douglas gove
6-Apr-2011, 11:12
+2 for Badger

Richard Mahoney
6-Apr-2011, 14:13
+2 for Badger

Ditto, so that makes +3. Orders are processed efficiently and it often takes less than a week for film to arrive at the local Post Office. By now I shouldn't be surprised, but I still find it a little remarkable. Kaukauna, Wisconsin to Oxford, North Canterbury in only a few days ... just great ;)

Kind regards,

Richard

cdholden
6-Apr-2011, 15:02
Ditto, so that makes +3. Orders are processed efficiently and it often takes less than a week for film to arrive at the local Post Office. By now I shouldn't be surprised, but I still find it a little remarkable. Kaukauna, Wisconsin to Oxford, North Canterbury in only a few days ... just great ;)

Kind regards,

Richard

...but when I sent a camera to .au, it took about a month. Blah.

Chris

Richard Mahoney
6-Apr-2011, 17:17
...but when I sent a camera to .au, it took about a month. Blah.

Chris

Well all I can say is that that was Australia and this is New Zealand -- only a narrow ditch separates us, but we are worlds apart :) Anyway, on a more serious note, Badger gives one the option to ship by USPS. For film, I would never willingly use one of the other services. Not only do they cost considerably more, the time spent in customs often exceeds the time in transit from the States.

Kind regards,

Richard

pdmoylan
6-Apr-2011, 18:14
MPEX misstates their color film stock and never seems to get the price correct on-line. Too much trouble and phone time to confirm. Not using them.

John Bowen
6-Apr-2011, 18:40
When they all price the product similarly, pay attention to the shipping costs. Badger sometimes has lower prices, but unless I'm purchasing a LOT of film, the lower shipping costs from B&H usually wins them the business.

cheers

benrains
7-Apr-2011, 10:08
For Efke, Adox, Foma, and the Arista products, I buy from Freestyle (because I think they're the only place that regularly carry those product lines in the US). For Ilford products I buy from Adorama because they've the best pricing I've found. I'd also throw out a holler for Badger Graphic because they've been very helpful in the past at handling special group orders for people here.

Shadowtracker
11-Apr-2011, 17:35
I use Freestyle mostly, but I like Adox film... just got some Arista from them to try. Haven't tried the other places yet, but Freestyle was easy to use, and fast delivery, within two days I think.

jeroldharter
11-Apr-2011, 19:46
Freestyle and Badger for me.

Roger Thoms
11-Apr-2011, 20:31
Let's see, recent purchases from the View Camera store, FreeStyle, Ultrafine (slightly outdated tmax 100, good to call them and see what they have). Still buy film locally in SF.

Roger

CP Goerz
11-Apr-2011, 21:21
One more for freestyle! :-)

Ron McElroy
11-Apr-2011, 21:45
I buy most of my film from either B H or Freestyle. I used to get most of it from Calumet, but they have redefined their business away from chemical photography.

John Kasaian
12-Apr-2011, 01:45
Freestyle, B+H, Badger Graphic, MPX all depending on what it is I'm after & considering tax & shipping. I haven't had much luck finding dated 8x10 film and I've noticed very few places will even list dated 4x5 on line, but Freestyle does, if thats what you're after.
Personally, I like having a choice between 4 top notch professional suppliers who want my business. Support 'em all!

David Low
12-Apr-2011, 14:44
Any suggestions for us in the UK?

munz6869
12-Apr-2011, 17:35
Another vote for Freestyle - orders seem to take about 4-5 days from California to Melbourne (Australia), and even with postage the film is still significantly cheaper than here. It also helps that the Australian dollar is ludicrously strong (used to be US$0.65, is currently US$1.05!!) at the moment.

Marc!

Barry Kirsten
12-Apr-2011, 18:16
Yeah, I'm seriously thinking of buying film from US sources, especially in view of the recent reassurances on the forum about the apparent safety of x-ray machines at airports and borders. Up till now I've seen this as a real drawback, but now think it's worth the risk - after all, all film probably gets scanned, whether it comes in commercially or privately.

I've found photographic stuff very overpriced in this country and have saved good money in the past when buying from US companies. From what I've seen, it looks as though I could easily save 25% on film after freight is included, and not be limited by reduced choices and having to wait months for out of stock items to arrive (Like Efke 25 which has been 'on the boat' for several months!).

Barry.

Barrie B.
13-Apr-2011, 05:11
Yeah, I'm seriously thinking of buying film from US sources, especially in view of the recent reassurances on the forum about the apparent safety of x-ray machines at airports and borders. Up till now I've seen this as a real drawback, but now think it's worth the risk - after all, all film probably gets scanned, whether it comes in commercially or privately.

I've found photographic stuff very overpriced in this country and have saved good money in the past when buying from US companies. From what I've seen, it looks as though I could easily save 25% on film after freight is included, and not be limited by reduced choices and having to wait months for out of stock items to arrive (Like Efke 25 which has been 'on the boat' for several months!).

Barry.

Barrie B. Melbourne - I buy Foma 100-4X5 sheet film and my Foma Enlarging papers from Chris Reid - Blanconegro supplies.com.au-NSW great prices and good service.

Leigh
13-Apr-2011, 18:38
Just for my own info I worked up an order for a 25-sheet box of Ilford FP4+ 8x10 at three of the contenders:

B&H
$78.95 film
$ 7.20 Priority Mail
$86.15 total

Adorama
$78.95 film
$11.75 Priority Mail
$90.70 total

Freestyle
$101.89 film !!!
$ 12.99 Priority Mail
$ 14.52 additional charge, unexplained !!!
$114.88 total

So Freestyle is more expensive than B&H by $28.73, or more than $1 per sheet.

Guess who doesn't get my business.

- Leigh

Roger Cole
13-Apr-2011, 22:31
I've never had an "unexplained charge" from Freestyle. I suspect their current higher prices on Kodak and Ilford are due to having restocked more recently and passing on the price increases sooner but can't know that for sure yet. In general I like to support Freestyle since they have such variety and are such a huge player in keeping film and related products available BUT if I could save that much on an order I would get it from NY too.

gevalia
5-Sep-2011, 14:42
Freestyle for Adox or Arista Ultra Edu. Adorama for Ilford and Efke (4x5 and 120). But it takes a while to get film from Freestyle (CA to CT) and shipping is higher there.

Leigh
5-Sep-2011, 14:57
When they all price the product similarly, pay attention to the shipping costs.
Yep. Very important.

I ordered from Freestyle twice, both times around $150. The added am $18.00 handling charge to each order.

Never again with Freestyle. I don't care what they sell.

- Leigh

mdm
5-Sep-2011, 18:06
Its B&H for me except Badger for 5x7 Delta 100 at the last group buy. I keep my order to less than NZD400 incl shipping to avoid customs.