PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to choose: Wehman or Chamonix?

Fotopiggie
5-Apr-2011, 07:21
Planning to buy a 8x10 under $2800 and have narrowed to 2 choices, either Wehman or Chamonix. I've read a number of posts regarding the comparison of both cameras, but mostly they were talking about the older Chamonix model. Not the newer one with the base plate made with a single piece of carbon fiber.

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/810.html

I hope I can listen to the advices from who have tried both cameras. I know they are apple and orange, hard to compare. For Wehman I know there are many happy users there. I like the philosophy behind the camera too. I only have two concerns: Referring to all the photos I've seen so far I have no idea on how stable of the front extension while it's locked to the main camera base. And I'm not sure if the small knobs on the front standard is a problem or not. For Chamonix my concern is it's durability and it's more expensive (but it wins in beauty contest section).

And I occasionally shoot architectural/urban stuffs, the plenty of spirit levels on Chamonix are very welcomed. But I know there are always lousily installed spirit levels on some cameras which make them not precise enough. Not sure if Chamonix is like this. And putting a spirit level on Wehman is not difficult for me though.

Your advice is welcomed!

jeroldharter
5-Apr-2011, 07:47
Have not used Chamonix but have a Wehman.

The size of knobs on a Wehman is fine, even in cold weather. The front standard is solid with extension. I have a 600mm Fujinon which I use with no problem. Integrated bubble levels would be nice, but I have one I can use when needed. The Wehman won't win a beauty contest with a wooden camera but it is so functional and durable. You don't need a ground glass protector. You don't need a wrap or a case. Those factors make the kit even lighter in use. The Wehman can be closed with certain small lenses attached (sometimes in reverse) which can be an advantage for some.

chris_4622
5-Apr-2011, 12:30
I contacted Bruce earlier this year and his response was he doesn't have any stock and isn't planning on making any because of health issues.

MIke Sherck
5-Apr-2011, 13:34
What chris said. I contacted Mr. Wehman about a month ago to buy a Wehman and there aren't any and won't likely be any more.

I'd have bought one last year if the septic system hadn't packed up. *#%@!%#

Mike

Gem Singer
5-Apr-2011, 14:54
Take a look at the Shen Hao FCL810-A.

It meets your description and is reasonably priced.

Since you are located in Hong Kong, you can probably purchase one locally and save the shipping charges.

J Ney
5-Apr-2011, 15:25
I contacted Bruce earlier this year and his response was he doesn't have any stock and isn't planning on making any because of health issues.

That sucks... it is definitely a great camera. Haven't tried the Chamonix personally.

onnect17
5-Apr-2011, 16:33
Recently purchase a Chamonix 4x10 and I can tell you is well made and with excellent QC, worth every penny. I can't say the same of the Shen-Hao. I wish they sell 6x17s.

evan clarke
5-Apr-2011, 17:11
I have a Chamonix 11x14 and am completely satisfied with it..Evan Clarke

jeroldharter
5-Apr-2011, 21:27
That is bad news about the Wehman.

Fotopiggie
5-Apr-2011, 21:28
Thanks for all the advices. It's so sad to know that Mr. Wehman won't make any camera anymore. It's hard to find something with this kind of originality these days. Well maybe I'll spend a bit more for a Chamonix.

Gem: I've seen and tried Shen Hao FCL810-A too. It's kind of a clone of Chamonix older model. Price is right and the look is ok. Only I'm still skeptical about the stability of the T-shaped base of the camera. And it's interesting that even though I'm in Hong Kong, it may be a bit cheaper to buy these Chinese made cameras in US as the currency of RMB is pretty high here.

jeroldharter
5-Apr-2011, 21:52
Have you considered a Ritter?

cosmicexplosion
5-Apr-2011, 22:43
http://www.bhcamera.us/wilderness810.php

try the above link, its a new all metal 8x10 that is about 3.5kg or about half the weight of a toyo 8x10m

as a bonus it takes sinar shutter

some one on the forum got one said it was great exept front focus only. which is ok exept for really long lenses, like 24" or if you are a baboon ok.

but up to 19" should feel ok.

but most landscape is about 300mm or less, any way up to you.

its called a wilderness 8x10 made in china, $2100 from bhphoto.us (not b+h)

a good deal, a nice looking camera am thinking of getting one.

John Kasaian
5-Apr-2011, 22:56
That is bad news about the Wehman.
To hell with the camera, that's bad news for Mr. Wehman!
There is no shortage of capable 8x10 cameras, but Mr.Wehman is one of a kind.

jeffzeitlin
6-Apr-2011, 04:48
I agree. That is bad news about Bruce - Our prayers and hearts are with you.
Thank you for a major contribution to the 8x10 world.

evan clarke
6-Apr-2011, 08:55
http://www.bhcamera.us/wilderness810.php

try the above link, its a new all metal 8x10 that is about 3.5kg or about half the weight of a toyo 8x10m

as a bonus it takes sinar shutter

some one on the forum got one said it was great exept front focus only. which is ok exept for really long lenses, like 24" or if you are a baboon ok.

but up to 19" should feel ok.

but most landscape is about 300mm or less, any way up to you.

its called a wilderness 8x10 made in china, $2100 from bhphoto.us (not b+h)

a good deal, a nice looking camera am thinking of getting one.

Somebody here or on APUG bought one of these Wilderness cameras and had good stuff to say about it..I have bought some small things from this dealer and all went well..Evan Clarke

Fotopiggie
6-Apr-2011, 11:05
Wilderness looks pretty promising. However the way of locking of front and rear standards reminds me the Canham DLC which I once owned. I don't really like it actually. Both lockings are close to the "hinges". Even though I think I have locked them tight but a very light bump can affect the position of the standards. I think traditional "triangle support" (I don't know how to describe it but I hope you can understand that) works better in terms of stability.

I wish I could afford a Ritter, amazingly light weight. But it's beyond my budget.

jeroldharter
6-Apr-2011, 11:20
To hell with the camera, that's bad news for Mr. Wehman!
There is no shortage of capable 8x10 cameras, but Mr.Wehman is one of a kind.

That's what I meant but I said it wrong. He has been great to deal with. When I bought my camera I stopped by his house and he gave me a tour of the camera and his workshop. He went out of his way to help me out with my camera and I wish him well.

Maybe some enterprising person here would want to buy him out?

Alan Gales
6-Apr-2011, 12:49
I just ordered a Wehman to Linhof reduction board and a Wehman board drilled for a #5 Ilex shutter from Bruce back in February. I received excellent service. I only spoke to Bruce through emails but he seemed like a really nice guy and he was a pleasure to do business with. I'm sorry to hear that he is ill and I wish him the best.

Steve Hamley
6-Apr-2011, 13:23
I've had mine about a year and a half, and it certainly is light and rigid, and it has several unique features, including a bail that's the best I've seen. I had mine made for a Sinar board which was no big deal.

Cheers, Steve

vinny
6-Apr-2011, 13:27
I have a wehman, a chamonix 4x5, and had a shenhao 4x5. The chamonix is the most precise, and my favorite to use. I don't like the bellows on the wehman in that they pull too hard on he standards when using a 450mm or longer. The rear standard flexes a bit after the knobs are locked down. There's also a little play in the rear standard where it folds. These are the only reasons i'd ever switch to a different camera. The clamshell design is brilliant. I hope bruce is okay.

Skip Abadie
7-Apr-2011, 13:48
Planning to buy a 8x10 under $2800 and have narrowed to 2 choices, either Wehman or Chamonix. I've read a number of posts regarding the comparison of both cameras, but mostly they were talking about the older Chamonix model. Not the newer one with the base plate made with a single piece of carbon fiber.

In case you haven't seen it yet, here is a thread that I found useful when I was trying to decide on an 8x10 to replace my Deardorff. I ended up deciding to keep my Deardorff, but I'll eventually buy a lighter weight camera to replace it (Lotus, if I win the lottery, else Ritter or Chamonix, as it stands right now).

8x10 comparison worksheet (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=57415)

There is a link to a google doc near the end of that thread that has most of the important specs for a number of under $5k 8x10 cameras listed in spreadsheet form.

Fotopiggie
8-Apr-2011, 10:21
In case you haven't seen it yet, here is a thread that I found useful when I was trying to decide on an 8x10 to replace my Deardorff. I ended up deciding to keep my Deardorff, but I'll eventually buy a lighter weight camera to replace it (Lotus, if I win the lottery, else Ritter or Chamonix, as it stands right now).

8x10 comparison worksheet (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=57415)

There is a link to a google doc near the end of that thread that has most of the important specs for a number of under $5k 8x10 cameras listed in spreadsheet form.

Thanks for the tips, it's very useful.

I wrote to Mr. Wehman recently. He told me that although he no longer makes any new camera but he will continue to provide lens board and warranty. I wish him good health and speedy recovery.