PDA

View Full Version : Enlarger lens/135mm capability

Mark Christopherson
30-Oct-2000, 15:41
I recently purchased my first enlarger, an Omega D2 with a 135 mm Raptar. I'm h aving some difficulty focusing negatives (4x5) at smaller enlargement, i.e., 5x7 , 8x10. What is the relationship bewteen the focal length of the enlarging lens and the minimum enlargement? Do I have some other problem? Thanks in advance; your help is invaluable to us beginners.

mitch rosen
30-Oct-2000, 18:07
Someone with Omega D2 experience will probably chime in with a specific answer but it sounds like you may be using the wrong lens board.

Doug Paramore
30-Oct-2000, 19:08
Mark: What is the length of the cone the lens is mounted to? The 135 lens needs a cone of about two and one-half inches long. The focus of different lenses on the Omega is controlled by the length of the cone. Sounds like you might have the wrong cone.

Regards,

Mark Christopherson
30-Oct-2000, 19:58
That must be the problem; this D2 came with the lens mounted in a FLAT lensboard. It's not a cone at all. Thank you very much.

Doug Paramore
30-Oct-2000, 20:12
Mark,

Sounds like the problem is at least identified. Use the flat board on 50-105mm lenses. Any chance the person you bought the enlarger from has the cone? If not, check with some of the larger used camera dealers. There are plenty of them around.

Regards,

John H. Henderson
31-Oct-2000, 13:29
If you have difficult finding the correct cone, contact Terry Seaman, ("The Darkroom Guy") at photomall.com, or Harry at Classic Enlargers. Both are very knowledgeable and will ensure you get the right part.

If you're patient, you might find the right part on eBay. I've gotten good deals on cones and stuff there. However, you're kind of on your own ensuring that you're getting the right thing. Of course, lens cone length is not as critical on the D2 as it is on my autofocus D3.

Also note that D2 and D3 lens cones are not the same. Although it doesn't matter to you, the D2 lens cones and boards will not fit a D3 because that enlarger requires an alignment slot in the cone. A D3 cone or board MIGHT fit a D2, but don't hold me to that.