PDA

View Full Version : Noted photographers amongst us

QT Luong
4-Apr-2011, 15:30
I was wondering who are the noted photographers participating (past or present) in this forum. Here's the first ten that come to mind, in random order:

Massimo Vitali, Brian Ulrich, Chris Jordan, Geoffrey James, Michael Smith, John Sexton, Kirk Gittings, Merg Ross, Kerik Kouklis, Tillman Crane.

Who else ?

onnect17
4-Apr-2011, 15:35
Noted? :D

Eric Rose
4-Apr-2011, 15:50
The key is "participating". We have some of the noted togs that indeed participate by adding their two bits to a discussion. Then we have the vast majority that only "participate" to sell some product, course or trip. Those I can do without. The ones that actually do enrich the forum I have no bones about promoting their wares.

Drew Wiley
4-Apr-2011, 15:52
That's a risky question.

Jim Bradley
4-Apr-2011, 15:55
Christopher Broadbent

Gem Singer
4-Apr-2011, 16:01
Hey QT, you didn't include yourself.

You're definitely in the same class as the other noted photographers you mentioned.

John Jarosz
4-Apr-2011, 17:07
I agree it's a risky question. What comes to mind is that many of those "noted photographers" will jump into a thread to remind everyone what they are doing, not necessarily answering what the Original Poster asked. And I agree about some of those same guys selling products or services without actually contributing.

And FWIW, QT, some of those guys on your list I've never heard of; and I've been here a fair amount of time (I think).

mdm
4-Apr-2011, 17:53
We all have a right to our privacy. Leave them alone.

cosmicexplosion
4-Apr-2011, 19:02
hello QT, finally a post from the founder, i thought you were just a mythical creature who lives in the mountains, and is occasionally seen carrying what looks like a camera over your shoulder.

my answer is that the universe is relative.

and as mentioned, of more use are the unsung hero's who actually discuss real problems and give out advice.

but 'frank pert-how ever you spell his name' seems a candidate, he is noted or big noted, but always puts in either humour, wisdom, or a nice shot
he is a good writer to, and most people seem to see him as a bit of an elder, kind of seems like a classic New Yorker!

Jay DeFehr
4-Apr-2011, 19:49
I don't get out much. The only names I know from your list, I know from here, and I don't separate them from the other participants, not because they don't merit distinction, but because I'm not very well informed of their notability. I tend to associate names with their areas of expertise, or their posted images, or their style of writing, and I have no idea which among us are more notable than the others. Worse yet, I get several names confused on a regular basis. Was that horrifying nude self portrait by Kirk Gittings, or Kirk Keyes? I don't know, but the memory of it is a scar I'll bear to my grave (I'm only joking, Kirk, you're an Adonis). I would love to collect the top 50 posters in one place and meet the lot, face to face.

Alan Gales
4-Apr-2011, 20:56
In addition to the names all ready mentioned Emil Schildt (Gandolfi) gets my vote!

Jim Fitzgerald
4-Apr-2011, 21:17
I second Emil! Merg Ross is active with us and a true master. Fantastic body of work.

mdm
4-Apr-2011, 22:57
We all defer to you, Jay.

Steve M Hostetter
7-Apr-2011, 11:00
I thought everyone here was famous :D

Kirk Gittings
7-Apr-2011, 12:05
Thanks QT.

Jay, hmmmm. I see myself nude every day-doesn't inspire me at all. I think you are referring to a couple of nude portraits of me by Alan Labb?

Kirk Gittings
7-Apr-2011, 12:15
I would add Brian Kosoff to that list and Richard Wasserman is certainly on his way.

Kirk Keyes
7-Apr-2011, 12:28
Worse yet, I get several names confused on a regular basis. Was that horrifying nude self portrait by Kirk Gittings, or Kirk Keyes? I don't know, but the memory of it is a scar I'll bear to my grave (I'm only joking, Kirk, you're an Adonis).

Ha! Jay - that was most certainly was the other Kirk, and not myself. Although, if it had been me, I'm sure you would probably have been horified just as much, if not more!

Eric Woodbury
7-Apr-2011, 13:16
Wimberley is here with a few posts, but busy with other things.

Richard Wasserman
7-Apr-2011, 17:04
I would add Brian Kosoff to that list and Richard Wasserman is certainly on his way.

Thank you so much Kirk!

Brian K
7-Apr-2011, 17:40
Thanks from me too Kirk, the check's on it's way....

Kirk Gittings
7-Apr-2011, 18:07
Maybe a second income stream.....

Bill Schwab should be mentioned here too.

Colin Graham
7-Apr-2011, 20:27
Adrian Tyler does some great work, and I've seen David Burdeny post once or twice. And Dalton Rooney too.

Steve M Hostetter
8-Apr-2011, 05:48
isn't Ralph Barker related to Bob ? A NEW CAR !! :D

Jay DeFehr
8-Apr-2011, 21:36
Thanks, Kirks, for clearing that up. Your both notables in my book!

reyno bundit
9-Apr-2011, 11:59
sandy of course

chris_4622
10-Apr-2011, 06:43
Maybe a second income stream.....

Bill Schwab should be mentioned here too.

Not really. Active on apug but the only posts I've seen here are in the announcement section when he has a something to promote. Hardly amongst us.

Kirk Gittings
10-Apr-2011, 09:48
Not really. Active on apug but the only posts I've seen here are in the announcement section when he has a something to promote. Hardly amongst us.

Sadly, that's true for many mentioned so far here, not just Bill.

Also, not to be missed is P/P master Jan Pietzsrak, now a neighbor of mine in Santa Fe.

Jan Pietrzak
10-Apr-2011, 12:47
Also, not to be missed is P/P master Jan Pietrzak, now a neighbor of mine in Santa Fe.[/QUOTE]

Kirk,

Thank you, the Large Format Group has many great photographers that give of their time to make this a great forum/site. QT thanks for starting this.

Jan Pietrzak

ps now if I can just get Kirk to go out to Chaco this fall

Kirk Gittings
10-Apr-2011, 13:51
I'm definitely up for a trip to Chaco in the fall.

Kirk Gittings
17-Apr-2011, 21:59
Jon Cone.

Miguel Coquis
27-Apr-2011, 00:17
Frank Petronio !

Miguel Coquis
27-Apr-2011, 03:02
... J Kitchen, K Lee, A Ren, W Calahan....and many others are to be considered as noted photographers !!!

Eric Rose
27-Apr-2011, 08:11
And the rest of us can toil away in obscurity. Never to be recognized by our peers.

Mark Sawyer
27-Apr-2011, 12:09
And the rest of us can toil away in obscurity. Never to be recognized by our peers.

Well, as Woody Allen said, "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying..."

bgh
29-Apr-2011, 09:03

As for me, I rather enjoy anonymity and obscurity. I like being able to hide away!

Bruce