PDA

View Full Version : Dan, I was not impressed:-)

tuant
3-Apr-2011, 15:56
Somehow, Dan, I was not impressed. My butt is much larger for sure and the elbow is the key:-)

CCHarrison
3-Apr-2011, 16:01
Wow

tuant
3-Apr-2011, 17:23
Side shot。German princess and British prince, size finally matched, the princess is not large sized any more :D

Jim Fitzgerald
3-Apr-2011, 18:04
Gotta love it! You guys make me crazy!!

Shadowtracker
3-Apr-2011, 20:44
so, if you put powder in that thing, how far will a cannon ball go?

Hugo Zhang
3-Apr-2011, 21:00
Is that famed Dallmeyer 8D lens? Crazy! Tri was crying his heart out the day when he heard how much that lens finally changed hands because he took my advice not to pay over 3,000 euro for that thing.

Monty McCutchen
3-Apr-2011, 21:52
Dallmeyer 8D's rock!

Monty

tuant
4-Apr-2011, 05:01
Is that famed Dallmeyer 8D lens? Crazy! Tri was crying his heart out the day when he heard how much that lens finally changed hands because he took my advice not to pay over 3,000 euro for that thing.

Tri has told me that:-) That price was a steal, I will take 10 at any time. It is really made for wet plate and for mamoth size 24" and up. If you don't shoot wet plate or don't have such a camera, this lens is crazy. It will just sit on your shelf for bragging rights only. It even looks crazy on my 16x20 because I don't have enough bellows draw to try out this monster until now. But on the right camera, it really rocks. There are just not too many choices for 20x24 portrait. Those giant Cookes, Haliars and Pinkham & Smiths subtlety will not show on wet plate. I will never use those lenses on wet plate. You will not find too much differences from a nice process lens wide open. Petzvals such as this were produced for a reason. Now it actually looks normal to "small" on this camera. In the future, I will only sell this lens together with this camera. You can't fully appreciate it without a camera of this size (26x26). Monty knows why:-) Here we go again Monty: 8Ds Rock!!

Tri Tran
4-Apr-2011, 07:02

I was offered form much less but I have no camera handle for that size and focal lengh . I'm glad Tuan put it in a good use . It's sure is a great lens but not for everyone. Great find for the Camera Tuan, what's the foot print for that?

Hugo Zhang
4-Apr-2011, 08:35
Tuant,

Look at the weight machine behind that beast, I know you will probably hold and fondle this beast for the next 30 years before sell it. I thought you were crazy when I learned you were doing 16x20 wet plate. 26" x 26" wet plate with a Dallmeyer 8D?

Old lenses and big wooden cameras is the happy hunting ground for those souls that have lost their balance, thus say Papa Hugo. :)

Tri Tran
4-Apr-2011, 08:52
Tuant,

Look at the weight machine behind that beast, I know you will probably hold and fondle this beast for the next 30 years before sell it. I thought you were crazy when I learned you were doing 16x20 wet plate. 26" x 26" wet plate with a Dallmeyer 8D?

Old lenses and big wooden cameras is the happy hunting ground for those souls that have lost their balance, thus say Papa Hugo. :)

Hunting is an easy part, getting the permit to park that in the house is another story :) .I really admired you Tuan, A die Art hard core!

Petzval Paul
4-Apr-2011, 09:37
"Those giant Cookes, Haliars and Pinkham & Smiths subtlety will not show on wet plate." I really don't agree 100% with that. In my experience, they really are difficult to use if you are shooting positives (i.e. ambros and tintypes) since it's so easy to block up the highlights and the tonal range is so short. If one were to shoot negatives, I do think that it would be possible to exploit the subtleties of such classic soft-focus lenses. It's probably just that everyone seems to be shooting positives and "wetplate" seems to be another word for "wetplate positive." In the 19th century, however, the negative (and the resulting albumen prints, or whatever) were the industry standard and positives were seen as kind of common and lowbrow, like the equivalent of a polaroid.

Just my 2 cents.

tuant
4-Apr-2011, 09:38
Hunting is an easy part, getting the permit to park that in the house is another story :) .I really admired you Tuan, A die Art hard core!

Obviously you have been there and done it in the past:-) I have already received a few warnings and threats in the past two weeks. Fortunately, only a couple of strong guys can move this thing, or it could be on the front lawn already and in pieces:-) To answer your question: this can do square 24" but can do 26x26 if I modify the plate holder a little. Guys always have this "size" complex. Can't help:-)

Jim Fitzgerald
4-Apr-2011, 09:49
Tuan, how much extension do you have on that baby? Looking at the side view it looks like it goes out a long way! Picking it up must be fun. I'm thinking you have a stand of some kind or a table or an elevator? Must be nice to be able to use a camera and lens like this. Congratulation!

tuant
4-Apr-2011, 09:58
"Those giant Cookes, Haliars and Pinkham & Smiths subtlety will not show on wet plate." I really don't agree 100% with that. In my experience, they really are difficult to use if you are shooting positives (i.e. ambros and tintypes) since it's so easy to block up the highlights and the tonal range is so short. If one were to shoot negatives, I do think that it would be possible to exploit the subtleties of such classic soft-focus lenses. It's probably just that everyone seems to be shooting positives and "wetplate" seems to be another word for "wetplate positive." In the 19th century, however, the negative (and the resulting albumen prints, or whatever) were the industry standard and positives were seen as kind of common and lowbrow, like the equivalent of a polaroid.

Just my 2 cents.

Agree! Aluminum is so easy to shoot, I don't do glass any more, especially those mammoth sizes, you can mount the plates just like that. No more scanning or enlargement needed. For smaller plates, glass still has an edge. There is no "grain" in glass after all:-)

Tuan, how much extension do you have on that baby? Looking at the side view it looks like it goes out a long way! Picking it up must be fun. I'm thinking you have a stand of some kind or a table or an elevator? Must be nice to be able to use a camera and lens like this. Congratulation!

Hi Jim,

The bellows draw is about 60" now. Mounty's Ebony 20x24 has a draw of 80". 8D requires the bellows to go beyond 40" for head and shoulder portrait. It is massive. I will need to wait for somebody to grow up in my family to carry it outside a lot:-) The original bellows is about 40". I added the front section to make it longer.

Jim Fitzgerald
4-Apr-2011, 10:17
Tuan, wow! 60 inches! That is one thing, pouring the plates that size is really fun to watch. My friend Luther Gerlach pours 22x30 plates and it just blows me away! There is art in all we do. Love to see the work.

BTW, it looked like there was some bellows added. Does the front have an extension. It looks like there is a spot for another rail on the front.

tuant
4-Apr-2011, 11:09
Tuan, wow! 60 inches! That is one thing, pouring the plates that size is really fun to watch. My friend Luther Gerlach pours 22x30 plates and it just blows me away! There is art in all we do. Love to see the work.

BTW, it looked like there was some bellows added. Does the front have an extension. It looks like there is a spot for another rail on the front.

Yes, Jim, I added that front part of the bellows. Luther is a master. He is the one who set the bar very high over there:-) I am including a digital here to show the relative sizes of 4x5, full plate, 8x10 vs 16x20. Modern aluminum has a lot of advantages. You get real "silver" on the original positive already, no more darkroom "silver adding" needed :D :D

Tri Tran
4-Apr-2011, 11:26
Yes, Jim, I added that front part of the bellows. Luther is a master. He is the one who set the bar very high over there:-) I am including a digital here to show the relative sizes of 4x5, full plate, 8x10 vs 16x20. Modern aluminum has a lot of advantages. You get real "silver" on the original positive already, no more darkroom "silver adding" needed :D :D

Ahem...very tempting Tuan.
Jim . Stay focus please ! You middle name is " Carbon ", just a warning :)

tuant
4-Apr-2011, 14:13
Ahem...very tempting Tuan.
Jim . Stay focus please ! You middle name is " Carbon ", just a warning :)

Come on, Tri, that explains why Jim is asking--The Call of the Wildness :D

Monty McCutchen
4-Apr-2011, 14:45
tuant,

I can safely say that I will not be going bigger than 20 x 24! Not only would I be expelled from the school of wife, but I fear I would never be able to stop. No, me and my 8D on the now smaller format, 20 x 24, will live happily ever after.

If I say it enough it might one day be true, right?

I can't wait to see some of your imagery done with this beautiful match. Between you and Alex's new camera, Luther, Tri and Jim's ever expanding universe of homemade ULF going big may just catch on!

Congrats and start posting some pictures soon!

Monty

Peter Gomena
4-Apr-2011, 16:39
Exercise equipment in the background, a mammoth camera in the foreground. What more does a man-cave need?

Peter Gomena

tuant
4-Apr-2011, 17:45
tuant,

I can safely say that I will not be going bigger than 20 x 24! Not only would I be expelled from the school of wife, but I fear I would never be able to stop. No, me and my 8D on the now smaller format, 20 x 24, will live happily ever after.

If I say it enough it might one day be true, right?

I can't wait to see some of your imagery done with this beautiful match. Between you and Alex's new camera, Luther, Tri and Jim's ever expanding universe of homemade ULF going big may just catch on!

Congrats and start posting some pictures soon!

Monty

Hi Monty,

It won't be long before you can't lift that thing even with help:-) We do what we can when we are still young so someday, we can impress the lady in the next senior apartment of the big guns we once owned and played with:D When it is a little warmer, I will do some portaits with this set up. We are still having snow today! Can't wait to see some of your plates with 8D!

Exercise equipment in the background, a mammoth camera in the foreground. What more does a man-cave need?

Peter Gomena

Peter, you need to get a fitness set when you aquire a camera such as this. It is not for the weak bodied. Your muscle needs to grow as your camera grows:D :D

Jim Fitzgerald
4-Apr-2011, 18:31
Ah yes, the temptation to build a wet plate back for the 14x17! Maybe at some point. I just have to stay away from Luther! Still so much with carbon to do. One day who knows tri-color carbon could be in my future. The best color photograph I ever saw still haunts me. One of my mentors Gordon Chapple was a master. I have one of his work prints hanging in my darkroom as a reminder. I wish he was still with us as the learning curve would be much less. Thanks for showing the comparison sizes. Makes it all make sense.