PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone this June

redrockcoulee
3-Apr-2011, 14:04
I have decided that I need to go camping more than attend a photo workshop I was thinking of taking in Montana this summer. I really need to just get away from work and courses and meetings etc.

So thinking of taking a week off to go to Yellowstone and June seems like I should miss the largest amount of tourists. So far the entire month seems flexible so was wondering if there would be any difference in the number of people in the park for the last week of June compared to the week before it or even two weeks say the middle of June. I have only been there once before for a little over a day in May 1998 but seeing as it is an average day of driving from home and if the loonies stays high, we might as well plan the trip.

Planning on camping in our tent and spending two nights around Mammoth, 2 around Old Faithful and the last two more the central or NE area as no sure if driving home up trough Great Falls or more easterly in Montana and come up at Wildhorse.

Any must see special places that are not the prime tourists spots. I have done a bit of a search on this forum and got some ideas already. We will both have digital SLR (hope to borrow a 400 2.8 as well) and will be sharing the Hasselblad, Canon video and the 4X5. By we I mean my wife and myself. Will anyone else on the forum be in there around this time?

Thanks

Ivan

Ivan J. Eberle
3-Apr-2011, 15:41
Yellowstone for me is primarily a wildlife park so I don't tend to concentrate on LF when there. I also don't think of it as a relaxing getaway place in season, but rather a mobbed place with habituated animals that can be more approachable than elsewhere. Driving the roads as on African Safari will usually net more critter pics than backcountry hiking. Nab that 400mm f/2.8 if you can, and a teleconvertor may prove helpful for wolves and bears, too. Visited last year in late June, when the snow cornices were still 8' thick on ridgeline about Dunraven Pass. G. Bears were pretty good; but month after suddenly finding myself within twenty yards of a surprised nursing sow with 2 cubs out in the open on a snowbank... a couple of campers were attacked in their tents and a third one killed and partly eaten just outside the NE gate. Park Service bans tents and tent-trailers at certain campgrounds within the park for good reason.

When you've finally had enough of the mobs and the manic/war driving for bears, detour for some R&R out of the park. Scenery-wise, I find that road to Cody from the SE entrance along the N Shoshone R., the Clark Fork along the Beartooth Hwy, and the Absorakas more interesting than most all of what can be seen within a 1/2 day hike of or from the park roads themselves.

Last June, Lulu Pass above Cooke City wasn't passable yet, but here's another road that takes you to alpine meadows and stunning high cirques. 4WD recommended.

JC Kuba
3-Apr-2011, 15:55
If there is a government shutdown in June, there won't be any tourists.

Michael Kadillak
3-Apr-2011, 17:09
I grew up in SW Montana and have a Mom that still lives there so on my way home to see her I have been through Yellowstone each early summer for six years now and last year was the first time I saw only the regular bison at a distance - virtually no other wild animals anywhere. Word is that the wolves have the elk and a number of other species in top shape chasing their ass from dawn to dusk. That said I will be heading there again in late May or early June and spend a few weeks photographing in SW Montana while I go down the chore list for my mother. The snow could still be an issue at that time so call ahead. That said plan on a packed house and get your camping reservations as soon as possible. The Beartooth highway is a must see.

Heroique
3-Apr-2011, 19:24
Yellowstone has no crowds, anywhere, all year long – that is, 6:00am - 9:30am.

You can enjoy most places alone during the first 90 minutes. :)

Since you’re camping in the park, it’ll be easier to arrive at nearby “hotspots” by 6:00am or even earlier. And in June, there’s plenty light by then. Watching the low sun ascend through billows of steam in chilly air is unforgettable. Maybe spend your midday – when crowds appear everywhere – traveling to your next camp site so you can claim your tent spot early, pitch your tent, and have lunch. A little later, you can explore more nearby areas as late-afternoon crowds taper-off for dinner…

Be sure not to miss Norris Geyser Basin!

Erik Larsen
3-Apr-2011, 21:13
I enjoy Yellowstone, but not for LF photography. If I were into wildlife photography I think it would be the perfect place. Animals everywhere, especially early morning time.
I go there every summer, usually in June or late August for the fly fishing. Great rivers all over the park and if you walk 100 yards from the road you will have the rivers to yourself. I've found that most of the tourist don't leave their cars except at obvious attractions or pullouts, they spend 2 minutes looking around, snap a pic with their phone and get back in the car and head to the next pull out and repeat. It can be a serene experience if you get away from the road and hike for a couple minutes. My favorite campground is Norris (loop A if you can get a spot on the meadow) or Slough Creek up in the Lamar Valley. If you are a fly fisherman, bring your gear! I don't even visit the "attractions" any more at Yellowstone, I just head to the nearest river and tie on a fly and let the worries disappear.

I find the LF photo ops better a little further south in the Grand Teton Park. Almost as crowded as Yellowstone, but the opportunities for wonderful cliche landscape shops are everywhere. Both parks are very pretty in their own way and I think you can make it relaxing if you pick the right activities and know what to expect from the obvious tourist attractions. I'm sure you will have a good time if you have the mindset of "having a good time"

If you see a white ford ranger with Colorado plates parked along the Madison or Lamar River say HI. I'll be the guy out in the river up to my waist with a big cutthrout trout bending my rod:)

regards
erik

Two23
4-Apr-2011, 05:16
The geothermal formations, waterfalls, and so on are better than the wildlife, IMO. Plenty there to shoot with LF. We went the last week of May one year and the Beartooth Highway was still snowed in.

Kent in SD

redrockcoulee
4-Apr-2011, 07:06
Thanks for the comments so far. My style is more often details rather than large vistas and am really looking forward to Mammoth Hot Springs as well as the small pools that I think are near Old Faithful. I still have 13 sheets of Velvia and when they are gone I doubt I will ever shoot colour LF again. MF and digital will be the main weapons and am going to ask about the 400 this week, otherwise might be able to get a 80-400 but it is not anywhere near the quality.

I am surprised that the wildlife is down due to the wolves considering that Banff has had wolves all along and yet elk are the greatest hazard on the golf course. Although I hardly get out onto the military range with my current position , we do have 2500 elk at work so if I do not see many at Yellowstone I will not be totally disappointed. I do not wish to see mule deer either as at work they beleive that the sidewalks are there for them and when the snow was deep they would plod down the walk expecting us to wait for them. The Base Commander put out an order to prohibit the feeding of them probably due the numbers that would hang around the back of the Mess or the Firehall :)

Erik, we are not fishing people so no equipment other than a frying pan.

I will probably go for walks or we'll find a quieter place to sit durning the busier parts of the day, Dana can schetch or read anywhere and if she can find either Montreal or Praque a relaxing place I do not have to worry about her there.

Drew Wiley
4-Apr-2011, 10:03
The earlier the better in Yellowstone. The thermal pools have to be photographed
from walkways, which will vibrate like crazy if anyone at all is walking on them. And any time in summer you will have herds people cussing at you and stumbling over your gear. I went once in May and had the place all to myself, and had no problem with the pools with my Sinar. But in summer just the traffic jams would steer me clear of the
place. There are plenty of wonderful places to photograph in Wyoming in summer besides Yellowstone. But otherwise, Yellowstone is a wonderful place for LF photography, not just for wildlife.