PDA

View Full Version : Mounting 8x10 Tripod Blocks

tgtaylor
2-Apr-2011, 11:44
I recently bought a Toyo 810G that came with 2 tripod mounting blocks. What accessory would I need to mount both blocks to the same tripod with the following heads:

1. Manfrotto 329RC4.
2. Arca Swiss z1-sp

Each 8x10 block measures 2.75" or 70mm in length. Attaching the camera using 2 mounting blocks instead of one would greatly improve stability.

I'm thinking that these may work:

1. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554370-REG/Manfrotto_430_430_Long_Plate_11.html

2. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/329098-REG/Acratech_2132_6_Quick_Release_Plate.html

Thomas

John Koehrer
2-Apr-2011, 13:46
The Acratech seems to be a quick release plate for use with their heads.

The Manfroto mounts with a 3/8" screw and seems more universal.

dsphotog
2-Apr-2011, 13:48
For more overkill & weight.... Bogen 121DD, and more $ too.
Looks cool though.
Happy 8x10ing!

cowanw
2-Apr-2011, 14:36
Attaching the camera using 2 mounting blocks instead of one would greatly improve stability.

Thomas

Not necessarily, I am thinking. If the lower connection on the head goes down to one bolt, how many connections above that may be less important. But I am no engineer.

dsphotog
2-Apr-2011, 16:05
Oops, I meant to type bogen 131DD.

Frank Petronio
2-Apr-2011, 20:37
Not necessarily, I am thinking. If the lower connection on the head goes down to one bolt, how many connections above that may be less important. But I am no engineer.

I wonder that too?

My hunch is that using two blocks is best with two sturdy tripods.

Second best (but more practical) would be using two blocks directly on head with a long top plate, like the Gitzo low-profile 3-way 1570 that has a big plate with two mounting screws.

Third best would be the plate set-up if the plate long enough that the tripod blocks are spread out and the plate is very rigid and the whole set-up doesn't have harmonic vibration....

I think the Sinar plate is 18" and I bet the Swiss did it that long for a reason. But it also sells for $200 used so it probably is a pretty beefy piece of Aluminum.

But of course, you probably have to test this in the field. I quit Engineering school to do art.

tgtaylor
2-Apr-2011, 23:07
Here is a photo of the camera from the e-bay auction:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqUOKkUE1GKH!7SdBNgWhldcDQ~~_12.JPG

and it does look like the Gitzo 1570 head is being used in the picture. I'm wondering if I can duplicate that with the heads that I already have. Although the camera is being held by one bolt, two mounting blocks attached to the rail should provide for greater stability.

Frank Petronio
3-Apr-2011, 00:19
Actually the camera is being held on by two bolts, one for each block. The reason I mention that head is because it has the slots and room for two of the Gitzo camera bolts/screws (whatever you call them). It think it even sold with two included.

Some of the old wooden 8x10s used two mounting holes as well.