PDA

View Full Version : Massive Lens, Massive Price

William Whitaker
1-Apr-2011, 18:05
$6288 for King Heliar (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=280647015474&si=HVrVh8Lga6%252FjBoPbajzoaF3%252Fxh8%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&autorefresh=true)...
That's more than $10/mm!!

Is that an April Fools' bid?

lindy
1-Apr-2011, 18:26
For my money (or lack thereof ) it would be :P

Tracy Storer
1-Apr-2011, 18:27
Glad I Didn't have to pay that for
MY King Heliar....

Dan Fromm
2-Apr-2011, 04:59
I recall, could be mistaken, that in a fairly recent thread on eBay bidding and such the person who posts as Leigh reported that when he wanted something badly he posted an insanely high price and always got the item.

Leigh, if it wasn't you or if I misquoted you I apologize.

With that in mind, look at the sequence of bids. 4th highest bidder's maximum was $1,550. 3d's, $4,862. 2d's, $6,188. 1st's, at least $100 more. Not one, not two, but three Leighs bid into a massive train wreck.

Cheers,

Dan

goamules
2-Apr-2011, 05:38
Yep, all it takes is 2-3 bidders that "must have at any cost"....and they'll get it...at super high cost. Same as at a live auction. Impatience and deep pockets.

tuant
2-Apr-2011, 06:55
I feel happy for the seller. There are plenty of rich oil guys out there in other countries. If one is willing to sell and one is willing to buy, it is good to watch:-)

Jim Fitzgerald
2-Apr-2011, 07:35
This is only one of the lenses he sold.Did you see the other three? He sold close to $15,000 worth and he just listed an 18" Verito!

goamules
2-Apr-2011, 08:28
Did you notice his two different Collinears both sold for exactly the same $3260 price? Pretty strange things happen on ebay. I've seen items get bid for hundreds more than the same item elsewhere with a lower buy it now....

Two23
2-Apr-2011, 17:14
I recall, could be mistaken, that in a fairly recent thread on eBay bidding and such the person who posts as Leigh reported that when he wanted something badly he posted an insanely high price and always got the item.

I do that when I really really want something. Example, if similar items sell for $500, I will bid $3,000 and not worry about the last second guys. So far I haven't gotten stuck, but it's not that often that I see something I gotta have. I once did pay $675 for a postcard of a train though. It was really worth maybe fifty bucks. Oh well.

Kent in SD

Daniel Stone
2-Apr-2011, 22:12
... I once did pay $675 for a postcard of a train though. It was really worth maybe fifty bucks. Oh well.

Kent in SD

boy Kent,

OUCH! my wallet would flog my ass if that happened to me ;)

-Dan

Andrew Plume
6-Apr-2011, 02:25
I do that when I really really want something. Example, if similar items sell for $500, I will bid $3,000 and not worry about the last second guys. So far I haven't gotten stuck, but it's not that often that I see something I gotta have. I once did pay $675 for a postcard of a train though. It was really worth maybe fifty bucks. Oh well.

Kent in SD

so,........perhaps you should relist with a starting price of $699..................

good luck if you do

andrew

l2oBiN
7-Apr-2011, 14:40

Kent in SD

So do you have any desperate desires for any other items? I might be listing some if you tell me what you want.. $1 starting price... NO RESERVE *wink* =)

domaz
7-Apr-2011, 16:29
That's still cheaper than buying a Canon EF 600mm f/4. Ha.

rguinter
7-Apr-2011, 17:04
Egad! I find myself wondering who are these people who keep bidding these things into the stratosphere?

I'm looking for a used car for my son to learn to drive and thinking to pay about that much max. Hopefully less.

Bob G.