PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing Fuji Velvia films

Lon Overacker
1-Apr-2011, 11:22
Understanding the ever-changing LF film market and availability of color transparency film, I'm still always looking for the best deal. I had been purchasing outdated film from ultrafineonline.com but apparently they only LF film they have is Quickloads (hint for those who shoot QL.)

Anyway, besides the obvious like B&H, *bay and such, where can I find V50, V100 or V100F in 4x5 (not QL)? I'm not opposed to shooting outdated film if I'm reasonably assured it's been stored properly and is not more than say 4 years old or so - which is the oldest I've used.

Most places, Samy's, Midwest, Hunts, Freestyle, etc. etc. are well over $2 a sheet. Can I do better than that? If so, where? I may pulled the trigger on some V50 on *bay that's right around $2/sheet after tax/shipping.

Thanks in advance!

Lon

David de Gruyl
1-Apr-2011, 11:29
if you are only seeing it at high prices and 20 sheets / box, it is the new film. I doubt that price is coming down anytime soon (or ever).

Lon Overacker
1-Apr-2011, 11:37
Yeah David, I don't expect new film to drop in price either - given the concept of supply and demand... ;-)

I'm secretly hoping to find a stash of outdated film that I can get on the cheap, otherwise I'm gonna have to suck it up and pay the going rate. I'm down to 13 sheets... ;-(

Tx,
Lon

john wood
1-Apr-2011, 12:13
I scoured the web too; cheapest found was same as your experience: a bit over 2$/sheet for outdated, and 2-3$/sheet for new (Badger). At one point, before realizing economies of scale, I thought 'hey it'll be cheaper just to buy 8x10 and cut it!' Um, wrong... :) I have bought from a few 'bay sellers with good result, both in Los Angeles. Actually, looking just now, item 400201141397 is (technically) under 2$ a sheet.

Daniel Stone
1-Apr-2011, 21:23
just FYI,

the guy who sells the aforementioned velvia 50 4x5 is really cool. I've purchased IN PERSON from him a few times, and all the times, gave me a "cash" discount. Usually in the neighborhood of 10% or so. Very nice gesture IMO.

but then again, I've been tending to order $400-500 worth of film at a time whenever I buy, so its not just a 4-5 box order. And cash talks, especially $100 bills ;).

-Dan

Gary Tarbert
2-Apr-2011, 17:21
Yeah David, I don't expect new film to drop in price either - given the concept of supply and demand... ;-)

I'm secretly hoping to find a stash of outdated film that I can get on the cheap, otherwise I'm gonna have to suck it up and pay the going rate. I'm down to 13 sheets... ;-(

Tx,
LonI have such a stash, That's the good news ,the bad news is it's all 35mm because i don't bother with miniture format anymore.Cheers Gary

Gary Tarbert
2-Apr-2011, 17:37
I scoured the web too; cheapest found was same as your experience: a bit over 2$/sheet for outdated, and 2-3$/sheet for new (Badger). At one point, before realizing economies of scale, I thought 'hey it'll be cheaper just to buy 8x10 and cut it!' Um, wrong... :) I have bought from a few 'bay sellers with good result, both in Los Angeles. Actually, looking just now, item 400201141397 is (technically) under 2$ a sheet.I allways buy new and never risk outdated , or second owner film ,i know moderatly out of date velvia is o.k i have shot with it myself . But the risk as i see it is how many airport terminals has the secondhand film been through?has it really been stored the way they say , And think about it if i don't support the manufacture of new they might just discontinue the stuff!! And what just to save a buck a sheet!!
Film is still the cheapest part of the equation.Fuel ,proccessing and proffessional scanning are far more costly Cheers Gary