PDA

View Full Version : Joshua Tree and Three Rivers

al olson
31-Mar-2011, 10:06
This Saturday I am heading down to Phoenix to take my travel trailer out of storage. I will go over to Joshua Tree for 2 to 3 days and then on to Three Rivers (just outside of Sequoia) for a jazz festival (real jazz) on the weekend.

I'm just checking to see if there will be other LF photographers in those parts at this time.

Drew Wiley
31-Mar-2011, 13:02
The wildflower bloom is just really beginning to kick into high gear, but you'd want to
drive the lower elevations of the Kings and Kaweah Rivers between 500 and 2000ft to
check things out. A little further up the redbud might still be in bloom. The March-April bloom on the lower west slope of the Sierra can be world class. Canyon drives can
wind around a great deal but are worth it. Three Rivers is a good place to start from. Of course, you can also do a wonderful loop through Sequoia, but check snow conditions first. It's unlikely the road is open past the Grant Grove area, but if it is open to Hume you can get views of Kings Canyon. More bang for the buck in the lower elevations this time of year, however, in my opinion. I won't be in the area until at least a week later. Have a wonderful trip.

Joel Brown
2-Apr-2011, 01:01
I just returned home yesterday from Greg Gorman's workshop in Palm Springs. We spent the day at Joshua Tree a couple of days ago. Lots of photographers, but I was the only LF'er to be seen. The weather was cold in the A.M. But warmed up quickly. Have a good time.