PDA

View Full Version : Will a 550 fit this camera?

hotwater
31-Mar-2011, 08:20
Hey,

A member wants to know if the 550 will fit the springback of a Grover I have for sale. The text of the sale follows for description purposes only "B&J called this 4x5 model, "The Grover Universal" circa 1950. All metal with a revolving back. The standards are not aluminum but nickle plated steel. 22 knobs of nickle plated brass. The back and front are aluminum and the "extreme bellows extension plates front and rear are nickle plated steel. It is rock solid. I have owned a few Grovers and they were always a little wimpy in their locks and rigidness. Not so with this one. I added fiber washers to help where I could. It was a dirty dog when I bought it. I have replaced the adjustable focus drive springs, cleaned every part in a ultrasonic cleaner. Red vulcanized the leaky bellows, repaired the folding hood (with Bondex) and put new felt in the front. For a 60 year old (nameplate says patent applied) camera she ain't half bad."
Here is a slide show for a more detailed view.
http://www.themidmorningwatch.com/kmv/industrial%20grover/index.html

I am in California attending to my father while the camera is boxed for shipment at my home in Florida. If not for that I could:confused: measure it myself. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
Bill

vinny
31-Mar-2011, 09:19
it'd be a tight fit. If you can fit two regular film holders in it, then yes. Have whoever is packing it try the holder trick. Most spring backs aren't made for something that thick.

banjo
31-Mar-2011, 13:43
I would say NO
I just tried all of my B&J 4x5 backs it will NOT work in any of them
now I don't know if the Grover Universal back would be same as my
Saturn 75 But there is no way that the P 550 will work in it!!

hotwater
1-Apr-2011, 19:19
Thanks for the input. I would rather she not unpack the camera as my wife could never repack the way I do. I will just have to wait my situation out. This Grover has a metal revolving back unlike all other Grovers I have seen or owned. The springs might allow a 550 but then again might not.
I was hoping some one might have one of these they could try
Best Regards
Bill