PDA

View Full Version : Sinar F-1 upgrade to 11 X 14

norm the storm
29-Mar-2011, 05:52
I have a Sinar F-1 and just a bit of experience. I'm interested to try contact printing
11 x 14 size. These cameras are expensive a lot and the used ones are rare. Is an option for me to upgrade the F-1. I'm thinking that it is possible with a P2 but I don't know about the F-1. If I should change everything, it's not an option.

Any advice appreciated

Ken Lee
29-Mar-2011, 07:19
See http://www.glennview.com/sinar.htm

Frank Petronio
29-Mar-2011, 08:21
Since an F1 is worth less than $400 on a good day... and a Sinar 11x14 custom mod is several thousand... you might be making an extreme rationalization to call it an upgrade ;-)

You could probably use the 12" base rail and one of the rail clamps on the 11x14. You'll want another 24"-plus of rail and a second clamp, plus a mounting plate to use two clamps... you might modify the front standard if you can find longer-taller verticals. You might use the bellows as a lenshade if you get the hex rod and bellows clips... but these are all minor compared to the cost of a custom 11x14 back and bellows. You'll probably want the 8x10 P rear standard to build from so you have the strength necessary. $$$

Phil Hudson
29-Mar-2011, 08:46
Mike Walker made a small number of 11x14 backs to use with an additional Sinar P/P2 rear bearer added to a 8x10. I don't think it was made to be used with a Sinar F.

I have one of these backs and decided to mount it with Arca-Swiss hardware and I use it with the remainder of an Arca Monolith 5x4 (without an intermediate bearer). I used the Glenview pics as loose inspiration although the Walker product didn't need much tinkering.

It's reasonably stable given that it has a lot of leverage with a 11x14 slide inserted.

It's a very feasible project especially with a Sinar P or P2 once the back and bellows have been sourced.

Sevo
29-Mar-2011, 08:57
Even for 8x10 you already need a extended front standard (the regular one does not extend high enough) - so even the "upgrade" to 8x10 would replace everything except for the base rail. I doubt that anybody will dare to upgrade a 8x10 to 11x14 - building a 8x10 with f bits already was only a last resort for mountaineering and expedition work where you'd cut weight to get there at all even if it means that you have to wait for days until the wind settles enough to allow for photography...