PDA

View Full Version : My replacements... comments or suggestions welcome

Jehu
28-Mar-2011, 10:26
My insurance company used a replacement service for my stolen equipment claim. Here's a nutshell:

Stolen: Calument C1 monorail 4x5 view camera
Replacement: Toyo 45CX

Stolen: Nikkor-w 240mm f5.6 lens
Replacement: Rodenstock 240mm Sironar-S 5.6

Stolen: Graphex 135mm (not sure about aperture. Cheap lens from Ebay)
Replacement: Rodenstock 135mm Sironar-S

Stolen: Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f8 (kind of old)
Replacement: Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f6.8

The rest of the stuff I understand pretty well. I'm confident that I'm getting a reasonable replacement.

The only time I've ever used a Rodenstock, I wasn't impressed. it was the first LF lens I ever had. Once I got the Nikkor-W 240mm, it quickly became my absolute favorite lens. A trusted friend told me that the Sironar series of Rodenstock is a completely different piece of equipment. I'm being pretty careful about letting the replacement service make the determinations. They had a Nikkor 135 digital lens as a replacement but I did a little checking and found out that digital lenses only cover 6X9. I got him to change that to the Sironar.

Any comments? They're going to start shipping any day now so let me know if you see any potential problems that I may need to research.

Jim Becia
28-Mar-2011, 10:54
In getting the two Sironar S lenses, you are probably getting a couple of the sharpest lenses you could receive if my 150 Sironar S is any indication. Looks to me like your replacements are excellent. Jim

Vaughn
28-Mar-2011, 11:01
All sounds good to me. If it was me, I would go for a field camera, but that is only because of the type of work I do.

When my 5x7 kit was stolen, I got cash and up-graded to 8x10.

vinny
28-Mar-2011, 11:22
I'd ask for a toyo AII or another top of their line view camera since you're getting the best lenses available.

Jehu
28-Mar-2011, 11:24
I tried to upgrade to the field camera but the only option that was reasonable close to the approved cost was the Camonix which wouldn't be available for at least two months.

It's good to hear good things about the Sironar S lenses.

Jehu
28-Mar-2011, 11:45
I'd ask for a toyo AII or another top of their line view camera since you're getting the best lenses available.

I'm kind of new to LF. I started this in June, 2008. I've never really understood what makes a better monorail camera. To me, it's just a light-tight way to introduce a film holder to a lens. What kind of improvements would I expect in an upgrade?

Henry Ambrose
28-Mar-2011, 11:56
I'd rather have a different camera (that's only a preference) but still you are coming out with better than what you owned. Looks like a very fair deal to me.

When you get the camera look it over and if you think you don't like it, sell it and get one you do like.

David de Gruyl
28-Mar-2011, 12:00
if those lenses are in good shape, you are getting a steal (although I like the Nikkor 240). Does the Rodenstock cover 8x10 as well?

Jim Galli
28-Mar-2011, 12:12
Virtually every replacement piece easily trumps what you started with. Who's your insurance company. I think I'll sign up and make a trip to San Francisco with every dog I own. :D:D

Jehu
28-Mar-2011, 12:15
if those lenses are in good shape, you are getting a steal (although I like the Nikkor 240). Does the Rodenstock cover 8x10 as well?

Yes. I listed that as a criteria for replacement on the 240 Nikkor-W. I have an 8X10 and as soon as I can afford holders and film, I'm going to try it out.

Uri A
31-Mar-2011, 21:09
In almost any insurance situation you should be able to explain the situation to the company and ask them to pay you out in cash. I lost 1000's of collectible and out of print CDs in a robbery and explained that they weren't simple to replace at a single record store. They understood and we fixed a price. As long as your vintage gear is cheaper than buying you new lenses (it will be), they will see it as a win-win situation to pay you cash.

Chauncey Walden
1-Apr-2011, 08:17
The Super Angulon replacement, isn't the 90 6.8 just an Angulon not a Super Angulon? Aren't the Super Angulons 8 and 5.6?

Jehu
1-Apr-2011, 08:48
You gave me a scare Chauncey. I had to check up on it...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284429-REG/Schneider_02_028185_90mm_f_6_8_Super_Angulon_Lens.html

Noah A
1-Apr-2011, 09:27
The Rodenstock 240mm Apo Sironar S is probably the best lens I've ever used. It was my primary lens with 8x10 and it was very, very sharp.

I now use the 150mm and 210mm Apo Sironar-S lenses and they are also superb.

Obviously everyone has preferences with lenses and if you like your Nikkor, then I understand your reluctance. But it sounds to me like you're getting quite an upgrade.

If you don't like the Rodies sell them and you'll end up with enough cash to replace your old lenses and then some.

Chauncey Walden
1-Apr-2011, 14:30
Sorry about that! Didn't know about the new one. Sounds like you are getting a great deal.

Jehu
1-Apr-2011, 14:51
Thanks for the heads up Chauncey. That's the kind of comment I was looking for. As it turns out, I'm okay on this but it also got me looking into the f6.8. I noticed that the filter ring is 82mm. I specifically remember that my f8 was 67mm. The new lens appears to be larger. I wonder if it has a larger coverage circle too.

GhoSStrider
4-Apr-2011, 10:23
Schneider has the old SA 90mm f8 listed at 216mm here (http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/super-angulon/data/8-90mm.html). That looks to be the same number they use for the new f6.8 as well.

Bob Salomon
4-Apr-2011, 13:20
Thanks for the heads up Chauncey. That's the kind of comment I was looking for. As it turns out, I'm okay on this but it also got me looking into the f6.8. I noticed that the filter ring is 82mm. I specifically remember that my f8 was 67mm. The new lens appears to be larger. I wonder if it has a larger coverage circle too.

No, but you also gained multi coating which an old 90mm f8 did not have,

Jehu
4-Apr-2011, 13:27
No, but you also gained multi coating which an old 90mm f8 did not have,

I'm sure MC is a good thing but I don't know why. That explains why I call myself "The Rookie". Either way, I'm looking forward to reshooting some of my favorite local subject matter for comparison.

jeroldharter
4-Apr-2011, 13:35
You are getting a great deal.

I would still want a field camera though. Perhaps they could give you the cash value of the replacement camera so you could pick up a used 4x5 field camera. I would not give up brand new Sironar S lenses though.

Jehu
4-Apr-2011, 14:02
You are getting a great deal.

I would still want a field camera though. Perhaps they could give you the cash value of the replacement camera so you could pick up a used 4x5 field camera. I would not give up brand new Sironar S lenses though.

I tried that route. The only field camera I could find in the same price range was the Chamonix. They're out of stock and it would take months to get one. I could request depreciated amount on the camera but then they'd start looking at Ebay prices of Calument 4x5 monorails. I would be able to get reimbursed for the difference if I bought a brand new replacement up to the value of the 45CX since that's what the replacement service recommended. I think I'll be happy with the Toyo 45CX. I don't really see the advantage of a field camera over a monorail outside of the transportation issue.

I keep hearing about how great the Sironar S lens is. I hope my expectations don't exceed reality.

Jehu
10-May-2011, 12:44
I've got the first couple of shipments in. My lenses look great. I can't wait to get a camera to go with them. I have plenty of holders and filters. I also have a pretty nifty light meter.

The replacement backpack is the largest I could find. I tried putting my daughter's Cambo in it. It didn't even come close to fitting so I revisited the Toyo CX45 choice since it had not been shipped yet. After some back and forth discussion, I decided to pay the extra $160 or so to get the Chamonix. Hugo says that they're shipping soon.

Any Chamonix owners here that can weigh in on the choice? It's the best looking camera available but just how usable is the thing?

Jim Galli
10-May-2011, 12:47
I've got the first couple of shipments in. My lenses look great. I can't wait to get a camera to go with them. I have plenty of holders and filters. I also have a pretty nifty light meter.

The replacement backpack is the largest I could find. I tried putting my daughter's Cambo in it. It didn't even come close to fitting so I revisited the Toyo CX45 choice since it had not been shipped yet. After some back and forth discussion, I decided to pay the extra $160 or so to get the Chamonix. Hugo says that they're shipping soon.

Any Chamonix owners here that can weigh in on the choice? It's the best looking camera available but just how usable is the thing?

I love mine.

Also, do a search on The Slideprinter in Denver on your other question about photomark. They used to have great service on color film.

Jehu
10-May-2011, 12:53
Thanks Jim.

I need to return my Toyo lens boards. What kind of board does the Chamonix use? The website mentions Linhoff type and Sinar type. Are those interchangeable?

Jim Galli
10-May-2011, 12:57
Thanks Jim.

I need to return my Toyo lens boards. What kind of board does the Chamonix use? The website mentions Linhoff type and Sinar type. Are those interchangeable?

Linhof, or any of the lesser wannabe equivalents. The one with the off-centered hole and chamferred lower corners. Horseman used them too. Lots of cheap knock-off's. I hear Eddie has a few to peddle. I don't sell them when I get them because that's what the Cham uses.

Jehu
2-Jun-2011, 08:56
Direct from China:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z95/Jehu10842/Replacementcamera.jpg

Thanks for all the help on this Hugo.

Now all I need is a couple of lensboards and I'm back in the saddle.

I mocked up a cardboard lensboard because I'm curious about the fresnel. It's very bright. I've heard of some focusing error from these. Is there any issue there that I need to watch out for?

David de Gruyl
2-Jun-2011, 09:01
I have not had any problems with the 45n2 (which I think is the one you got). I think the problem was with the earlier version.

engl
2-Jun-2011, 11:46
Direct from China:

I mocked up a cardboard lensboard because I'm curious about the fresnel. It's very bright. I've heard of some focusing error from these. Is there any issue there that I need to watch out for?

Focusing errors with fresnels are due to installing them on the ground side of the ground glass, on a camera which is not designed for this. This was the case with the first Chamonix, until they fixed it.

The 045N2 has the fresnel on the opposide side, and this way it can not cause a focus error.

Congratulations on the replacements, I'd be thrilled :)