PDA

View Full Version : Help needed re Arca Swiss Lens Plates

brucep
28-Mar-2011, 10:06
I'm very new to LF photography, and I'm still getting the basic bits together.

I've just received a 171x171mm 13mm recessed lens board for an Arca Swiss and notice that it doesn't have the slot for the top retaining clip to engage. Is this what people mean by old and new type? Are there other differences? Can I use this board on a model B without the retaining slot and is there such a thing as an old style recessed plate.

Sorry about the number of questions, but i'm confused and don't want to waste yet more money!

Bruce

Fomafoto
28-Mar-2011, 12:37
Hello

I have the same 13mm recessed lens board. It´s working nice without the slot for the clip. I´m using it on model C.

Slavomir

Rod Klukas
10-Dec-2011, 09:17
Actually the geometry is the only thing somewhat out of whack. The older models were designed to use flat boards and the newer boards with their 13mm extension were for F-Line 171 geometry. If you swing an older model using a recessed board, you will swing through an arc and will have to shift and refocus more than with a flat to retain original composition. Using a flat board on an F-Line will have a similar problem as it was designed around the recessed board.
Agreed they will fit with the caveats listed above.