PDA

View Full Version : Copal 0 hard to turn shutter speed dial

wiggywag
27-Mar-2011, 02:41
Hi!

Just bought an used Rodenstock Sironar-N MC 150mm with a Copal 0 shutter. The shutter speed dial is a bit hard to turn it does lock into each speed notch, but not as easily. What does this tell me? What is wrong, is there anything I can do?

Thanks!

Gem Singer
27-Mar-2011, 07:36
The shutter speed ring should turn easily and click at the speed settings. Your Copal 0 shutter needs a CLA. The lube has probably dried up inside.

There are quick fixes such as re-adjusting the tension on the shutter ring, or using lighter fluid to soften the hardened lube.

However, these are temporary, not permanent fixes.

Henry Paine Camera Repair
27-Mar-2011, 10:48
This could also be caused by impact damage. You can check that the front and rear lens cell edges are parallel to one another using a dial caliper. If the shutter is damaged, it will have to be completely disassembled and the mechanism plate straightened using a surface plate and dial indicator.

Henry Paine

wiggywag
29-Mar-2011, 12:35
This could also be caused by impact damage. You can check that the front and rear lens cell edges are parallel to one another using a dial caliper. If the shutter is damaged, it will have to be completely disassembled and the mechanism plate straightened using a surface plate and dial indicator.

Henry Paine

There actually is a damage to on it, a bend on the rear element. I bought it lately on ebay, will send it back!