PDA

View Full Version : LF Newb

gardnermounce11
26-Mar-2011, 21:47
After shooting weddings for three years I want to return (at least in my free time) to what I got into photography ten years ago for in the first place: landscape. I know that the only way to go about this seriously is LF film or a ~$50k digi back. The choice is pretty obvious ;) I've spent the past week and a half on ebay figuring out prices and testing the waters. At first I thought I wanted a Crown Graphic, and then I thought I wanted a Calumet, and then there was a really confusing hour and a half on thursday when both the Orbital and Arca Swiss looked awesome and I couldn't possibly imagine how I had ever wanted a Crown Graphic, and then five minutes later I thought the Crown Graphic looked perfect; and now I'm so confused that I've decided to seek help.

Here's what I do know: I don't need a LF for anything but landscape. I will be photographing primarily near my home in TN so it's okay if it's a little weighty (I won't be taking it on any backpacking trips soon). I have a tight budget so I would love to find a camera/lens combo for $300 or less.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

joselsgil
26-Mar-2011, 22:06
In your price range, I would opt for the Calumet or a similar mono rail view camera. You stated that you don't mind the weight and won't be back packing. The Calumets are selling for a few hundred dollars and are plentiful. For a few hundred more, you can get a used field camera. Less movements, but better suited for field work.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Jim Jones
27-Mar-2011, 07:36
The Calumet (and other reincarnations of the same pattern) are justifiably popular. The Kodak Graphic view and improved Graphic View II are similarly capable. All use easily fabricated 4" square lens boards like the Annniversary Speed Graphic and Burke & James Press cameras, an asset for us who like to adapt odd lenses to our cameras. The B&J has better front tilts for landscape photography, but perhaps lower build quality than the SG, and fewer accessories.

It's the lens, not the camera, that forms the image. A lens with enough coverage for the movements on any of the above cameras is worth the greater cost than the 127 or 135mm press camera lenses that are so plentiful.

Don't forget to budget for a sturdy tripod, film holders, dark cloth, ground glass loupe, and perhaps a few filters. Tiltall made great tripods (good enough for Ansel Adams) until production was moved overseas. Dark cloths can be home-made. I get by with a very crude loupe and ancient film holders.

If you have no experience with large format, good books on view cameras save much experimentation. Welcome to the wonderful world of large format and landscape photography. What a change from shooting weddings!

gardnermounce11
27-Mar-2011, 09:18
I just found a Calumet monorail without a lens or lensboard for $129. Would that plus a Schneider Xenar 150mm for $100 be a good combo?

speedfreak
27-Mar-2011, 10:42
If I was you I'd seriously look into a sinar f monorail. Forget eBay, check out KEH.com. Their bgn grade items are fantastic. They are very consevative in their ratings so you can be assured what your getting is more than functional. Plus, the return policy is awesome!
But back to the sinar. They are about as plentiful on the used market as anything else. The f is a great starter camera and infinitely expandable. Lens boards are easy to come by as horseman used the same design, and this applies to bellows as well. And to top it all off, sinar is in your budget! Check it out!

John Koehrer
27-Mar-2011, 10:58
If you buy ANY monorail camera, make sure it comes with the tripod block. The camera actually mounts to the tripod with this and is pretty useless without it. They are typically not interchangeable between brands.

drew.saunders
27-Mar-2011, 11:08
I just found a Calumet monorail without a lens or lensboard for $129. Would that plus a Schneider Xenar 150mm for $100 be a good combo?

Yes, but the Xenar won't have a particularly large image circle, so you won't be able to really play with movements as much to start, if that's a concern. If the shutter on that Xenar is in good shape, that's a good price, and you can always get more lenses later. And then more lenses, and then more...

gardnermounce11
27-Mar-2011, 12:49
Thanks to everyone for replying to this thread. I love how helpful everyone is. Another forum I frequently check is head-fi.org (audiophile forum) and the people there are generally JERKS. Thanks to everyone for helping a noob out :)

Speedfreak, the Sinar Fs I found are all about $250+ body only, which is a little out of my range. I'm trying to keep to $300 for the camera/lens because I know that I'll have to shell out for a tripod, film, holders, cloth, loupe, and at least 3 filters. I would like to have a full system by late May for a trip to Florida.

Drew, what mm lens should I be looking for? I would love to have some range of movements to begin with.

Graybeard
27-Mar-2011, 12:56
Thanks to everyone for replying to this thread. I love how helpful everyone is. Another forum I frequently check is head-fi.org (audiophile forum) and the people there are generally JERKS. Thanks to everyone for helping a noob out :)

Speedfreak, the Sinar Fs I found are all about $250+ body only, which is a little out of my range. I'm trying to keep to $300 for the camera/lens because I know that I'll have to shell out for a tripod, film, holders, cloth, loupe, and at least 3 filters. I would like to have a full system by late May for a trip to Florida.

Drew, what mm lens should I be looking for? I would love to have some range of movements to begin with.

With a bit of luck and patience, you should be able to find a 180mm or 210mm Symmar, Sironar, or Fujinon for $200 or a bit less. These are purpose-designed view camera lenses and should provide all of the image circle that you'll need, particularly for landscape work.

gardnermounce11
27-Mar-2011, 13:19
With a bit of luck and patience, you should be able to find a 180mm or 210mm Symmar, Sironar, or Fujinon for $200 or a bit less. These are purpose-designed view camera lenses and should provide all of the image circle that you'll need, particularly for landscape work.

Alright, so it looks like I'm going to get the calumet rail and try my best to find one of the lenses you mentioned.

banjo
27-Mar-2011, 13:57
if you are looking at wide angle I would then look for a Calumet CC402 it is
a short mono rail made just for wide angle

banjo

drew.saunders
27-Mar-2011, 17:04

There's nothing wrong with the 150mm focal length, but there are lens designs that have larger image circles than others. The Xenar is probably better suited to a camera with more limited movements.

Look here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF4x5in.html

You'll see the 150 Xenar has a 173mm image circle (4th column of numbers), while most of the other 150mm lenses have 210mm or larger image circles. 173mm will cover 4x5 (you need 153mm or more), but if you want to use a lot of movements, 173mm will becoming limiting. You'll also see that just about every lens of 180mm or longer has more than enough image circle. Many people start with a 210mm lens. Keh.com has a couple 210mm lenses for under $200. Don't get the one in the Sinar DB mount to go with your Calumet.

Jim Jones
27-Mar-2011, 18:05

The Kodak 203mm f/7.7 is another popular lens in this focal length. The prewar Kodak Anastigmat 203mm f/7.7 is the same formula, but uncoated. Even this fairly inexpensive relic is a decent performer, especially when used with an efficient lens hood. Mine came on (IIRC) a Graphic View for a little over $100.

gardnermounce11
27-Mar-2011, 18:24
Also can anyone point me in the direction of a cheap tripod? Emphasis on cheap. I'm trying to get everything I need in a couple months for a trip. I can buy a sturdier one later.

Jim Jones
28-Mar-2011, 05:14
Tiltall tripods may sell for less than $100 online, and will same you the need of buying a sturdier one anytime later.

gardnermounce11
28-Mar-2011, 08:20
Once again, all of you are awesome people.

How about this lens?
http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Format-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-LF06020300251N?r=FE

drew.saunders
28-Mar-2011, 10:51
How about this lens?
http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Format-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-LF06020300251N?r=FE

The "Bargain" one looks to be a good deal for a good lens, and Keh has a great return policy if it isn't. Unless the shutter is really bad, it could last you for many years of service.

gardnermounce11
28-Mar-2011, 12:30
The "Bargain" one looks to be a good deal for a good lens, and Keh has a great return policy if it isn't. Unless the shutter is really bad, it could last you for many years of service.

Sweet! That's what I'll do then. Thanks for all of the help :)

gardnermounce11
28-Mar-2011, 21:43
One additional question... How do LF filters work? Do they screw onto the lens itself like slr lenses or do they require a holder? I would hate to be unable to use a circular polarizer.

engl
29-Mar-2011, 08:18
All modern lenses accept screw in filters, just like SLR lenses. You won't have any problems with a 180-210mm lens using screw in filters, but with wider lenses the filter ring might cause vignetting.

Circular polarizers are designed for autofocus cameras, you will probably want to get a linear polarizer. Both work, but the linear one is usually available cheap and more effective.

gardnermounce11
29-Mar-2011, 09:23
All modern lenses accept screw in filters, just like SLR lenses. You won't have any problems with a 180-210mm lens using screw in filters, but with wider lenses the filter ring might cause vignetting.

Circular polarizers are designed for autofocus cameras, you will probably want to get a linear polarizer. Both work, but the linear one is usually available cheap and more effective.

Thank god! Ebay has amazing deals on filters so I shouldn't have a problem finding all I need. Thanks for the info :)