PDA

View Full Version : Type I Telephoto Lens Kodak 36 inch f/8???

Martin Battilana
26-Mar-2011, 17:30
I have a Type I Telephoto Kodak 36 inch f/8 Lens made in 1954 that I am using to make an extreme macro lens out of and was wondering if anybody had any first hand experience with these. I was measuring all the focus points and lens to subject distances and was pretty pleased with what I was getting as far as usability for this project. Then I took it outside to check the exact focal length at infinity so I could begin construction of the housing and at infinity the lens at the aperture measured 24.5 inches to the focal plane. Is there any way that is possible?

Mark Sampson
26-Mar-2011, 17:39
You've found the defining characteristic of a telephoto lens.

Dan Fromm
26-Mar-2011, 18:28
I have a Type I Telephoto Kodak 36 inch f/8 Lens made in 1954 that I am using to make an extreme macro lens out of

Interesting. How much magnification at what working distance are you trying to get? Tell us more, too, about the camera you intend to use it on.

Joel Wright
27-Apr-2014, 10:06
I have a Type I Telephoto Kodak 36 inch f/8 Lens made in 1954 that I am using to make an extreme macro lens out of and was wondering if anybody had any first hand experience with these. I was measuring all the focus points and lens to subject distances and was pretty pleased with what I was getting as far as usability for this project. Then I took it outside to check the exact focal length at infinity so I could begin construction of the housing and at infinity the lens at the aperture measured 24.5 inches to the focal plane. Is there any way that is possible?

Joel Wright
27-Apr-2014, 10:14
I purchased one of these for $25.00 from the back of a comic book in 1962. It is marked RE690. The ad said it was from a U-2 spy plane. Village Goodies on Ebay has one for sale at$1,499. Theirs has lens, shutter and iris. I have only the lens, having disposed of the other parts over the years. I would like to build a telescope for astronomic photography, but, so far am unable to find a 5.25" ID x 36" long tube.

ic-racer
27-Apr-2014, 12:13
When doing macro, the focal length determines your working distance from the subject. If you really don't need to be that far from your macro subject, shorter focal length lenses can sometimes be better. The shorter bellows draw can lead to improved sharpness. A 150mm lens at 1:1 needs only 300mm bellows draw to produce the same size image on film as your lens with its 1270mm bellows draw.

Amedeus
27-Apr-2014, 13:56
Wouldn't one and other also be function of how large the area is you want to cover ? I believe the OP didn't state yet what the desired size is of the image ...

When doing macro, the focal length determines your working distance from the subject. If you really don't need to be that far from your macro subject, shorter focal length lenses can sometimes be better. The shorter bellows draw can lead to improved sharpness. A 150mm lens at 1:1 needs only 300mm bellows draw to produce the same size image on film as your lens with its 1270mm bellows draw.

launiek
27-Apr-2014, 16:09
Wouldn't one and other also be function of how large the area is you want to cover ? I believe the OP didn't state yet what the desired size is of the image ...

The 36 inch f/8 is a fairly commonly found aerial lens that I'm pretty sure pre-dates the U2, despite what may have been said by some of the sellers of them. They were designed for a 9" x 18" format, and were to be used with B & W film and a full aperture glass filter (typically yellow). Several companies made them, including Kodak and Fairchild. In the '70's many amateur astronomers (including me) had them, trying to use them as astrographs with smaller sheet film, even Polaroid film. My experience is that they weren't sharp enough visually to be used as a normal telescope.
--Ken

Jim Jones
27-Apr-2014, 16:10
. . . I would like to build a telescope for astronomic photography, but, so far am unable to find a 5.25" ID x 36" long tube.

Years ago I used 8' lengths of black plastic pipe with an inside diameter of 6" to build a pinhole camera to photograph a solar eclipse. The pipe was purchased at an auction of old supplies, and I haven't seen any for sale in the local hardware store since then. You might ask at a plumbing supply. Also, a round tube looks better, but a square tube is easier to fabricate. As for the length needed, it may be less than 36". My Bausch & Lomb Telestigmat 40" requires about 24" from the iris to the image at infinity. The lens has been remounted, and might not conform to original specifications.

Nurse//TCL1997
27-Nov-2015, 14:30
First time post. I am new to this site. Question from me. I have a Type I Telephoto Lens 36 inch 916 mm) f/8 9x18 RE 1029 Made in U.S.A. by Eastman Kodak Co. 805700. It is mounted on a steel plate. Do you know what I have here?