PDA

View Full Version : Anything to photograph near Dallas (SMU)?

Richard M. Coda
26-Mar-2011, 11:10
I'll be accompanying my daughter to SMU in a few weeks. Was wondering if there's anything interesting for LF (I'm sure there is... just haven't been there).

For some reason I want to photograph cattle in LF. :confused:

Also, OK City on the way back. Thanks.

Gem Singer
26-Mar-2011, 12:44
Hi Richard,

DFW is a huge metroplex. Much larger than the, Phoenix-Scottsdale-Tempe-Mesa area.

You will need to drive quite a distance from the SMU campus in order to photograph live cattle and pastoral scenes.

If you are planning on spending a few days in the DFW area, feel free to contact me via PM. We can exchange phone numbers. I can show you some close-by interesting places that our group has photographed with LF cameras.

I am retired. Available 24/7. When I lived in Phoenix, dealt with Rod at Photomark. Still occasionally deal with Fred at the View camera Store.

Eugene

Richard M. Coda
26-Mar-2011, 12:58
Hi Richard,

DFW is a huge metroplex. Much larger than the, Phoenix-Scottsdale-Tempe-Mesa area.

You will need to drive quite a distance from the SMU campus in order to photograph live cattle and pastoral scenes.

If you are planning on spending a few days in the DFW area, feel free to contact me via PM. We can exchange phone numbers. I can show you some close-by interesting places that our group has photographed with LF cameras.

I am retired. Available 24/7. When I lived in Phoenix, dealt with Rod at Photomark. Still occasionally deal with Fred at the View camera Store.

Eugene

Hi Eugene.

Thanks the info and the generous offer. However, I will have two women with me (wife and daughter) so I'm going to be limited to what I can find near the hotel or on the highways. Won't have any time to go out on my own. I know there is some interesting high rises in the city. Rod, is no longer with Photomark... working for Arca now (surprise, surprise).

Thanks again, for the offer. If she ends up going to SMU, I'll look you up next time, OK? :)

Gem Singer
26-Mar-2011, 15:03
Sorry we won't be able to get together while you are in Dallas.

If you tell me your Email address, I can send you a couple of images from our shoot at the SMU campus last fall.

Hope your daughter decides on SMU. It's a prestigious place to get a college degree.

I am aware of Ron's new career with Arca Swiss. He has occasionally participated on this forum.

Richard M. Coda
26-Mar-2011, 15:20
Sorry we won't be able to get together while you are in Dallas.

If you tell me your Email address, I can send you a couple of images from our shoot at the SMU campus last fall.

Hope your daughter decides on SMU. It's a prestigious place to get a college degree.

I am aware of Ron's new career with Arca Swiss. He has occasionally participated on this forum.

Just PM'd you my email. Thanks.

I know it is a good school. I was kind of hoping she'd go to art school (she was offered a full scholarship at NHIA when she was a sophomore, which we still can't take off the table) but she met a nice young man at an art event who is a senior in their art program (I didn't even know they had one) and he gave it very high marks. We checked it out and it is a more traditional art program, which we like.

keith english
27-Mar-2011, 07:36
Better make sure SMU hasn't gone the route of Stanford. It is virtually illegal to take a photograph on campus. Digital camera around the neck are ok if you are a tourist, but set up a tripod and security will be on you faster than Homeland Security. It requires a permit to shoot anything commercial, or for sell, and they will not grant them. I understand they were overun with wedding, portrait, architectural photographers.

Gem Singer
27-Mar-2011, 07:55
Keith.

It wasn't that way when our group photographed the SMU campus on a Sat. morning.

However, we have been hassled by security guards while shooting in other locations on Sat. mornings.

Seems that when security guards see a tripod, they think commercial photography.

We explain that we are an amateur camera group, and they usually (but not always) back off.

Eric Biggerstaff
27-Mar-2011, 08:00
I am a grad of SMU and it is a terrific school (I used to be one of those people who took parents and students around on tours of the school). I graduated in '86, ahh the fun I had.

The campus itself might have some interesting things to photograph but the school sits in the middle of a very nice part of Dallas and there really is not a great deal to photograph. Downtown Dallas is an easy drive from the school (take back roads) and you could photograph down there. Also, be sure to stop by the Afterimage Gallery which is also an easy drive from campus (10 minutes maybe). Ben always has a great show hanging and he represents many well known national and local photographers. There is also the Sun and Moon Gallery (I think that is the name), I have not been there but I know a few photographers who they represent and it has some very well known names.

It has been several years since I was back to SMU but they have a lovely campus and they used to have a pretty solid arts program with a very good photography department. They also have SMU In Taos which has several great art courses and again, used to have several photography courses there as well.

I hope your daughter enjoys the school, I found it to be a wonderful and rich experience.

Eric

cdholden
27-Mar-2011, 08:11
I'll be accompanying my daughter to SMU in a few weeks. Was wondering if there's anything interesting for LF (I'm sure there is... just haven't been there).

For some reason I want to photograph cattle in LF. :confused:

Also, OK City on the way back. Thanks.

Richard,
As a staple of entertainment any time I find myself in Dallas with someone who has never been there, check out the Hyatt downtown (aka Reunion Tower). It looks like a big dandelion lit up at night. You can go up into the ball and eat dinner (family friendly) while the floor rotates around the rest of the building. Throughout a meal, you'll get a 360 degree view of the city.
It's been many years since I've made that run up I-35, but I'm sure there's still plenty of cattle along the way to OKC.

Chris

Eric Biggerstaff
27-Mar-2011, 17:24
Oh, almost forgot the drive to OKC (My family lives in the area). The Arbuckle Mountains are between Ardmore and OKC and they offer some lovely landscapes, good to get off the highway and take the back roads. The Turner Falls area is nice, the falls themselves are a public swimming park and you have to pay to get in, but if you get there early you and the water is flowing then you can hike around the falls and find some shots. You will see an exit for Turner falls a few miles past the last Ardmore exit.

Have fun.

Eric

cdholden
27-Mar-2011, 17:30
Yeah, too bad this trip isn't in June. Turner Falls is soooooo much better when the water is warmer!

ignatiusjk
28-Mar-2011, 16:38
If your in Dallas try photographing the infamous Texas School Book Depository,or the "Grasy Knoll".It's an interesting area as well as historic.