PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Bender's kit?

norm the storm
26-Mar-2011, 05:17
I'm trying to find where to buy a Bender's camera and if it is possible a 11 x 14 kit. Everywhere I'm searching on the Web, I found everything except a store.

taulen
26-Mar-2011, 05:23
They have stopped making them, atm I dont think there is any kit cameras available at all... =/

John Powers
26-Mar-2011, 05:51
Welcome to the LF Forum.

Keep an eye on eBay. Almost anything will eventually show up there.
While you wait you may see something attractive in a restorable 11x14 at a similar price.

You might find this thread informative.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=51651&highlight=Bender+camera

John

norm the storm
26-Mar-2011, 06:34
Welcome to the LF Forum.

Keep an eye on eBay. Almost anything will eventually show up there.
While you wait you may see something attractive in a restorable 11x14 at a similar price.

You might find this thread informative.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=51651&highlight=Bender+camera

John

norm the storm
26-Mar-2011, 06:35
Thanks a lot for the information.
It,s appreciated

Brian Ellis
26-Mar-2011, 08:37
I saw an assembled Bender (8x10 I think) on ebay a few days ago. I didn't pay much attention but the thumbnail looked pretty nice.

John Koehrer
26-Mar-2011, 15:09
Would this do?

http://www.raymentkirbycameras.co.uk/

Pete Watkins
27-Mar-2011, 00:35
There are also the Bulldog kit cameras produced in the U.K. but I doubt that they go up to 11x14.
Pete

sully75
27-Mar-2011, 08:07
I think I've heard the Bender cameras were pretty mediocre 8x10 or above as far as stability goes. I'm not sure the 4x5s were that hot to begin with. You might spend some time researching exactly what would work for a camera that size. Film is super expensive, so if you can't afford a good camera, you might have a hard time affording film too.

Just a thought. There are some reasonably priced 8x10 cameras used, and there are some relatively inexpensive options for film.

Just a thought. I'm not an expert. But (from experience) putting money into a camera that probably is not going to last you over the long haul is a waste. If you can't afford something that is at least mostly useable, you should save your money.

Tim Meisburger
27-Mar-2011, 09:57
Eddie has a great camera for sale on the forum for 100 bucks!

rjmeyer314
28-Mar-2011, 07:37
I have one of the 4x5 Bender kit cameras. It was completed when I brought it. I don't think it's as rigid as my Calumet CC-400, but it is very light. If you wanted to backpack with a monorail view camera this would be one to consider. I believe it weighs about 3 pounds with the short rail. They also came in an 8x10 version. I never heard of anything bigger.

GabrielSeri
28-Mar-2011, 08:42
Norm, there is an Bender 8x10 camera selling on ebay for $900 and the sale is closing in 35 minutes. The title is "8x10 View Camera & Accessaries"

Comes with all this stuff.

----------

8 x 10 Bender View Camera & Extras

The 8 x 10 view camera shown was built from a Bender Photographic kit in 2006 and has proven to be a reliable camera.

The camera provides movements that are limited only by lens coverage since the only physical restriction on tilts and swings is the bellows. Rises and shifts are a couple of inches in all directions. The ground glass can be rotated for both landscape and portrait photos.

This item is in excellent condition and has taken many wonderful photographs.

Included with the Camera are the following extras:

Ø Fugi Lens f/1,6 360mm (shown)
o mounted on a Copal #3 shutter
o image circle 485mm at f/22
o attached to the Bender lens board
Ø Luna Pro light meter (shown)
o marked for Zone System
o both readings at subject from subject?????
Ø F64 Back Pack style carrying case (shown)
o accomidates the Bender camera and extras
o has velcro adjustable compartments
o padded shoulder and hip straps
Ø Filters (not shown)
o Lee 4” filter holder
o Calumet 4” x 4” Tri Green filter
o Calumet 4” x 4” no. 12 (yellow) filter
o Lee Black & White 4” x 4” polyaster filter set
§ No. 8 yellow
§ No. 11 yellow green
§ No. 21 orange
§ No. 23A light red
Ø Film & Print Paper 8x10, all partial boxes, condition unknown (not Shown)
o Tmax 100 film
o Ilford Multigrade IV FB Fiber, Glossy Print Paper
o Ilford Multigrade IV RC Delux, Pearl Print Paper
o Ilford Multigrade IV RC Warmtone, Pearl Print Paper
Ø Hood (not shown)

sully75
28-Mar-2011, 08:51
I think that might not be a good buy in any way...

GabrielSeri
28-Mar-2011, 09:19
I'm just reporting the find, it seems like a lot of money to me too. He's better off getting a Kodak 2D 8x10 for less money.

sully75
28-Mar-2011, 14:24
yep. I agree. I have just bought a lot of "almost there" crap that has ultimately slowed me down. I wonder if that's what happened to this ebayer?