PDA

View Full Version : Linhof monorail - Technikardan 45s or Kardan GT???

Henry Carter
25-Mar-2011, 11:26
This forum has provided me with much information and good advice over the years, and I need to reach out again for your help.

I have been using a 4x5 Master Technika for 10+ years, and there are times when I really wished I had a monorail. Given that I have many Linhof accessories and lenses, it would make sense to consider a Linhof monorail for architecture and urban landscapes.

I am working on a night project requiring long exposures (2 to 5 min), and a stable and rigid camera is a must. Tough the TK 45s is more portable, the Kardan GT is probably more rigid, albeit heavier and bulkier.

So the question is, which should I choose - portability (TK 45s) or rigidity (Kardan GT)?

Or is the TK 45s sufficiently rigid and the Kardan GT overkill?

If I travel with 4x5, the MT is the camera I would take, so the extreme portability of the TK 45s is less of an advantage (for me) over the Kardan GT, but if the TK 45s is sufficiently rigid for night photography, it would also be a great travel camera...

Many thanks for your advice!

Frank Petronio
25-Mar-2011, 13:00
Buying new or waiting for used? Because some the older Linhof monorails are quite a good value and probably just as sturdy as the GT.

I'll dare say that all the Linhofs are robust-right-solid and the best money is spent on a ridiculously heavy tripod....

Bob Salomon
25-Mar-2011, 13:29
At how much extension? The TK is as rigid as any camera, including the GT. When you extend them all the way, GT telescopes to 15 to 23" on its standard rail. Will need a WA bellows sooner then a TK will and both can get down to a 35mm focal length lens. GT is much heavier but has yaw free movement when the standards are in their normal orientation. The TK is yaw free on its side and not when the standards are upright. GT weighs 9.7 pounds the TK weighs 7.7 pounds. The TK is much more portable if you are in the field. The GT is more modular and is more for studio work. Th GT can be converted to 810 although everything except the front standard and the front part of the telescoping rail has to be changed so just buying an 810 GT is more cost effective then converting a 45 to 810. There no longer is a 57GT or parts to convert either the 45 or the 810 to 57. If you are traveling it is the TK system.

Noah A
25-Mar-2011, 14:03
I've never used a Kardan GT, but I've been using a Technikardan 45S and it's probably as stable as any other camera for long exposures. If it's really windy any camera will vibrate, but I've used my TK in some pretty windy conditions for long exposures with no problems.

I think the TK is an ideal camera for urban landscape and that sort of work. It can use a wide range of lenses of course but I can only speak for it in the 90-210mm range. And in that range it performs brilliantly and does everything I've ever needed it to do.

I would say that if you ever want to travel by air with the camera (especially as a carry-on), take it on public transit or walk around with it, the TK is a better choice. If you're strictly working out of a car, I'd decide based on factors such as your need for bellows extension, need for a more modular system, availability, price, etc.

Henry Carter
26-Mar-2011, 08:59
Thank-you for the helpful and informative replies.

It sounds like the TK might be the better choice given its greater portability while still being sufficiently rigid. The Kardan is probably a little more robust and rigid, but at the expense of weight, size and portablity. Both monorails are available new (and used). I am less concerned with price than with finding the right tool.

I have two Linhof tripods, both excellent, but for different purposes - the Twin Shank Pro (3317) and the much heavier Profi 3 (3454). I use the Profi 3 for night photography with my MT and a Profi 3 Universal Pan/Tilt Head (3669) - a heavy combination but absolutely rock-solid for long exposures (up to 10 minutes).

Moving forward, I see two possible combinations of cameras, heads, and tripods:

(1) Technikardan 45s, 3-Way Leveling Head (3663), Twin Shank Pro Tripod (3317).

(2) Kardan GT, Levelling Pan/Tilt Head 90 (3668), Profi 3 Tripod (3454).

The Profi 3 has a 90mm clamp mount for the Levelling Pan/Tilt Head 90, and the head accepts the Kardan rail directly, permiting sliding back and forth and locking. This would be the ultimate combination for stability and rigidity, but it would be heavier.

If I was considering only daylight photography, the TK would be the better choice, but as you can see I am still torn about the right monorail for night photography.

Am I just obsessing between 98% vs. 99% of perfection, or is there a bigger difference than that between the two above choices?

Bob Salomon
26-Mar-2011, 09:04
Thank-you for the helpful and informative replies.

It sounds like the TK might be the better choice given its greater portability while still being sufficiently rigid. The Kardan is probably a little more robust and rigid, but at the expense of weight, size and portablity. Both monorails are available new (and used). I am less concerned with price than with finding the right tool.

I have two Linhof tripods, both excellent, but for different purposes - the Twin Shank Pro (3317) and the much heavier Profi 3 (3454). I use the Profi 3 for night photography with my MT and a Profi 3 Universal Pan/Tilt Head (3669) - a heavy combination but absolutely rock-solid for long exposures (up to 10 minutes).

Moving forward, I see two possible combinations of cameras, heads, and tripods:

(1) Technikardan 45s, 3-Way Leveling Head (3663), Twin Shank Pro Tripod (3317).

(2) Kardan GT, Levelling Pan/Tilt Head 90 (3668), Profi 3 Tripod (3454).

The Profi 3 has a 90mm clamp mount for the Levelling Pan/Tilt Head 90, and the head accepts the Kardan rail directly, permiting sliding back and forth and locking. This would be the ultimate combination for stability and rigidity, but it would be heavier.

If I was considering only daylight photography, the TK would be the better choice, but as you can see I am still torn about the right monorail for night photography.

Am I just obsessing between 98% vs. 99% of perfection, or is there a bigger difference than that between the two above choices?

Yes you are. The 003317 can support the TK or the GT with no problem. Obviously so can the Profi 3. The Leveling Head can fit either tripod also. Clamp-on the 90mm socket on the Profi 3 or screw on to the center column of the 3317.

Frank Petronio
26-Mar-2011, 09:38
Well the old time car photographers used to sandbag the heaviest tripods to shoot 8x10 out in the desert so you can never be too stable... but it sounds like you're set. Personally the TK is sort of a compromise, if you had a Technika for roughhousing and travel and a Kardan for out-of-the-car and studio you'd have the best of both worlds. The TK is probably a better in-betweener that could do it all.

Henry Carter
27-Mar-2011, 13:48
Thanks!

The TK is a hybrid of the Kardan and Technika (hence its name). If you already own a MT, the Kardan is probably the better addition as it is a pure monorail, and you "have the best of both worlds".

The TK is a bit of a compromise, albeit an ingenious one, and an alternative to the MT. The portability is very attractive, and it sounds like it is rigid enough...

I imagine that most people who buy a TK were considering it against the MT. The TK and MT in essence compete with each other. The Kardan is more of a purpose built solid monorail, and it is not competing with either the MT or TK.

I will have to flip a coin!