PDA

View Full Version : Westminster Mat Board

Noel Peirce
24-Mar-2011, 14:39
Does anyone out there have a line on the availability of "Westminster" 100% cotton rag mat board? Light Impressions seems to be the only one offering it and I am leery about dealing with them again because of their past melt down and inability to deliver the product.

Robert A. Zeichner
24-Mar-2011, 16:15
After a lot of comparison, I am convinced that Westminster is really Rising rag board. I've been using Rising for years and have saved a lot of money and can't tell the difference.

al olson
24-Mar-2011, 17:21
I, too, wish to order some more Westminster cotton rag board and I am also reluctant to order from Light Impressions at this time considering other members experiences. In fact, the last time I ordered cotton rag it did not resemble the cotton rag that they had been shipping previously. It was a lot harder and too easy to get a nice cut.

Thanks, Robert, for the tip on Rising. Do you order directly or deal with a supplier?

Robert A. Zeichner
24-Mar-2011, 17:30
I, too, wish to order some more Westminster cotton rag board and I am also reluctant to order from Light Impressions at this time considering other members experiences. In fact, the last time I ordered cotton rag it did not resemble the cotton rag that they had been shipping previously. It was a lot harder and too easy to get a nice cut.

Thanks, Robert, for the tip on Rising. Do you order directly or deal with a supplier?

I have gotten it from United Manufacturers in the past.

8x20_Pano_Shooter
24-Mar-2011, 19:21
Does anyone out there have a line on the availability of "Westminster" 100% cotton rag mat board? Light Impressions seems to be the only one offering it and I am leery about dealing with them again because of their past melt down and inability to deliver the product.

Noel,
I contacted Lumiere Photo the other day. It is owned by the original owner of Light Impressions. I specifically inquired about the Westminster 100% Rag Board Bright White 4-ply Buffered because that is what I use. Bob, the store manager, wrote back and said that the Lumiere Rag White (stock #1005) is the same board.
Susan

Leigh
24-Mar-2011, 21:23
Has anyone ever seen/bought "Westminster" board from any vendor other than LI?

I believe it is/was an LI house brand.

- Leigh

Roger Thoms
24-Mar-2011, 21:37
Has anyone ever seen/bought "Westminster" board from any vendor other than LI?

I believe it is/was an LI house brand.

- Leigh

No I haven't. I was under the impression that "Westminster" was one of LI's house brands. Recently I have been using Rising mat board. Surface texture is very close to Westminster. I can't compare color because my remaining Westminster is bright white and the Rising is natural white. Pretty much looks like the same stuff.

Roger

Noel Peirce
26-Mar-2011, 08:43
Big thanks to all who responded to my inquiry into Westminster. As a first time participant on LFP I was quite impressed with the quick and informed responses.

ROL
26-Mar-2011, 09:30
Recently I have been using Rising mat board. Surface texture is very close to Westminster. I can't compare color because my remaining Westminster is bright white and the Rising is natural white. Pretty much looks like the same stuff.

I can compare Rising (http://risingmuseumboard.com/) (natural white), which I use exclusively, to Westminster (bright white), which I was given. I can see no apparent difference. I would say that Rising Museum Board is the finest archival board available, if for no other reason than not having to deal with LI.

I buy Rising natural white museum board from Legion Paper (http://www.legionpaper.com/Home.htm). FYI, Legion bought the struggling Rising Mill a few years ago, making a substantial investment in a dwindling market. IMO, Legion deserves to be supported.

Eric Biggerstaff
26-Mar-2011, 09:51
I think Westminster is simply the LI brand name for the same board sold by other companies and as many have pointed out, Rising is probably the company that supplies it. I have been buying the 4 ply and 2 ply bright white board from Archival Methods for the past couple of years and have been very happy with the quality. For all I know, it is also made by Rising! www.archivalmethods.com

Lumiere Photo
9-May-2011, 07:01
Thank you, Susan, from Lumiere Photo. Yes, Westminster 100% Rag Board Bright White 4-ply Buffered and the Lumiere Rag White (stock #1005) is the same board. Let us know if we can help. We just joined your forum today! www.lumierephoto.com