View Full Version : Framing 8x10 contact prints

Noah B
24-Mar-2011, 10:15
Hello all, I've got a show coming up soon and it consists of 8x10 contact prints. I'm going to dry mount the prints to some mat board and am trying to decide on whether or not I need a window mat for the frame? Are there any other ways to make the print not touch the glass without a window mat?

Daniel Stone
24-Mar-2011, 10:42
if you can afford window mats, personally, I think it makes the prints "stand out" more.

also makes it look more professional IMO. If you're selling your work at this show(or intend to in the future), then I'd spend the extra $$$ and get window mats cut, or take some extra time and cut them yourself(will help save some serious money vs having them cut at a framing/matting shop).

some frames are designed to have a clearance area about 1/8-1/4" between the mat(usually window mat) and the glass. I can't remember the manufacturer, but I do remember that they were aluminum(anodized black) frames. Very professional looking, not too obtrusive to distract from the print.

The Artcare board from Lodima Archival Materials is what I'd use if you haven't chosen/purchased board yet(or mounted them at all). Sure is worth the extra money IMO, to buy the best board.


Roger Thoms
24-Mar-2011, 10:46
Google EconoSpace, which is one solution. Of coarse there are similar DIY options that will be less expensive.


Roger Thoms
24-Mar-2011, 10:54
FrameSpace is another interesting solution.


MIke Sherck
24-Mar-2011, 14:09
Mount and mat to standard frame sizes and watch for sales at places like Hobby Lobby and Michael's -- you can get standard frames for half off on sale if you're patient. Even less expensive is waiting for Hobby Lobby to put their collage frames on sale for half off: you can get nice narrow black wooden 11x14 frames for $4 sometimes, a bit less for 8x10, a bit more for 16x20 frames. I use 11x14 for 8x10 contact prints.


24-Mar-2011, 19:20
Any framing store would be able to frame the prints, without a matte, and without the print touching the glass. It's called floating, or something like that? My girlfriend used to work in a framing store, and assures me this is possible.

Sometimes I think the simplicity of having no matte is just wonderful.