PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid 405 on Sinar X

Alessandro V.
23-Mar-2011, 03:02
Hello,

my name is Alessandro, an Italian photographer now living in London.
I am completely new to LF photography so I would like to apology in advance for any silly question that I could possibly make in the future...
I thought a little presentation had to be done since this is my very first post in this forum even if I've been reading you for a while now.

I have just bought an used Sinar X and I have started experimenting with it.
I have tried to use a Polaroid 405 Back together with the camera but I did not find a way to use it in the vertical position as it seems impossible to me to remove the dark slide as there is not enough space to pull it out all the way. (I attach some images that probably will clarify what I am talking about).

Also, when I am inserting the back in horizontal position I've noticed that if I push it all the way in, to place the aperture of the back aligned to the centre of the ground glass, the back is not parallel to the ground glass anymore as there is a small dent on the front side of the 405 back that keep it up. If I try not to slide it all the way in, basically having the dent relying on the side of the camera, it seems to me as if the back is not centered with the camera.
I am sorry for my bad explanation but it's not easy to describe...

Thank you very much a lot for your help.

Alessandro

PS: I tried to search if there were other topics open for these problems and I've found something. However they did not cover all my problems and I did not get all of them. Thank you for your patience.

gary mulder
23-Mar-2011, 03:22
AFAIK the 405 back is not a slide in, but a graflock back. Therefore remove the screen frame and place the 405 and secure with the slides on the sinar back. Than you are able to place the 405 the other way around in vertical position. The 405 can not be used on the sinar in horizontal position.

uhner
23-Mar-2011, 06:16
I use a 405 holder on my Sinar Norma. I have fond that I have to insert it from the opposite direction in the back to be able to use it in a vertical position – i.e. that the dark slide points upward. Admittedly this is not the easiest thing to do, but it works.

When the holder is inserted correctly, its aperture is not perfectly centered in relation to the ground glass. You can buy or make a mask that can be attached to the ground glass that shows the image area when you compose the picture.

Alessandro V.
23-Mar-2011, 12:16
To Gary:
Are you sure you can mount it this way?! It would be fantastic...
I don't have my camera with me and I cannot try but I will definetively keep you updated if it is possible to do so...

To uhner:
I am not sure I can do it on my Sinar X as there is a part of the rear standard that block the way! How can you push it in into position?! I mean, if I could not even take the dark slide away from the back how can you insert the whole back from below?!
I must be missing something...

Thank you very much for your help!

Alessandro

uhner
23-Mar-2011, 15:05
Use the lever on the camera back to pull the frame with the groundglass as far back as possible and insert the Polaroid holder the “wrong way” (i.e. the bulky end first) so the dark slide points upward. This method works on Norma, F2 and P models so I believe that it will work on the X model as well.

jsch
26-Mar-2011, 13:54
Hi Alessandro,

1. Usually the 405 Polaroid back comes with a mask to indicate, what will be on the image. It is not centered.
2. To use the 405 Polaroid back in landscape mode you have to remove the accessory holder on the right side. There are only 2 tiny screws at the top and at the bottom. Then the holder will fit into the camera, see attached image.
3. Portrait mode is tricky. The dark slide that came with my 405 back is very flexible. So I remove it carefully downward. On the darkslide is a blue Z-shaped line. I remove it just so far until I can see the complete blue Z. Then the film window is completely open. It usually works. Not fine but it does.

Hope that helps.
Best,
Johannes

Alessandro V.
19-Apr-2011, 05:37
Hello,

I've tried with the camera but it seems like there is not enough space to put it in "the wrong way" when shooting in portrait mode.
For now I just bend the dark slide but I am a bit afraid about breaking it.

For the landscape mode I have no problem, I do not understand the part about the two small screws!?

Thank you very much!

Ale