PDA

View Full Version : questions on graflex SLRs?

Discoman
22-Mar-2011, 21:58
I've seen these mentioned, and my Graphic Graflex Photography book mentiones just how useful they actually are, specifically, how useful the RB Super D is.
I primarily work with my pacemaker speed, and I was wondering if the SLRs are something worth keeping an eye out for.
are there any problems or concerns about their use? I heard they have a strange back or something.
also, if they are worth keeping an eye out for, what model would you guys suggest?
I thought the RB Super D in 4x5 sounded nice, but the RB Auto Graflex seems similar, except for loss of flash, but has extension bellows.
and to be honest, the Stereo Auto just looks impressive and expensive, but would be a really cool unit to use. if one could be found.
so, what do you guys suggest?

oh, and p.s.-apart from fleabay or cheating (custom from paramount) where could a short graflex flash to flash (household connnector cord, something like 2705) be found?

Michael Cienfuegos
22-Mar-2011, 22:22
I'm not sure where to find one. I have an RB Model D. It is in pretty good shape. I found mine on Flea-Bay, paid about $100 for it. I also have both a Grafmatic holder and a Bag-mag holder. This gives me 18 shots in two holders. Good luck in finding one.

Dan Fromm
23-Mar-2011, 02:54
Not a strange back, a Graflex back. Visit www.graflex.org, read the FAQs.

Jim Jones
23-Mar-2011, 06:07
Some Graflexes may be converted to a graphic or desirable graflok back. Check ads for this and any other modifications.

Ash
23-Mar-2011, 06:33
Be careful - I tried to get a B-series and it was junk. I sent it back and stuck to view cameras.

Wayne Crider
23-Mar-2011, 07:00
The major problem area is curtains and curtain speeds. Parts? That's another but really the only thing that may go bad is a spring. Their fun to use; That big GG is nice with the upright image for composing. My thought is, if you like to work at waist level, cause that hood is going to cause you to lower the camera, find a shooter and have fun. You can always carry a small stool or do seated portraits, but I wouldn't carry mine for field work, although I bet there are some that do. Horses for courses.

ethics_gradient
23-Mar-2011, 12:36
I've seen these mentioned, and my Graphic Graflex Photography book mentiones just how useful they actually are, specifically, how useful the RB Super D is.
I primarily work with my pacemaker speed, and I was wondering if the SLRs are something worth keeping an eye out for.
are there any problems or concerns about their use? I heard they have a strange back or something.
also, if they are worth keeping an eye out for, what model would you guys suggest?
I thought the RB Super D in 4x5 sounded nice, but the RB Auto Graflex seems similar, except for loss of flash, but has extension bellows.
and to be honest, the Stereo Auto just looks impressive and expensive, but would be a really cool unit to use. if one could be found.
so, what do you guys suggest?

oh, and p.s.-apart from fleabay or cheating (custom from paramount) where could a short graflex flash to flash (household connnector cord, something like 2705) be found?

The Super D's big selling point is the auto-diaphragm on the lens, with the other models you have to stop down the aperture manually. All of the SLR's also weak at wide-angles because of the mirror; you're limited to a normal to long-ish lens.

I would also avoid a B, because they don't have easily interchangeable lenses. I recently did an overhaul on a 4x5 Tele-Graflex (predecessor of the Auto Graflex) and am now trying to convert it to a Graflok back, and have a 5x7 Auto Graflex I'm trying to find some holders for.

Sirius Glass
23-Mar-2011, 17:40
Some Graflexes may be converted to a graphic or desirable graflok back. Check ads for this and any other modifications.

When I bought my 1928 Graflex Model D from Bert Saunders at graflex.org, he built a custom adapter on the RB so that it takes a Graflok back. I use the same film holders and Grafmatic 45 backs on it that I use for my Pacemaker Speed Graphic.

It is an adapter plate so I could always go back and use Graflex film holders.

Steve

jnantz
23-Mar-2011, 22:08
i have a rb series d
and have used it for years.
it is a great camera for point / shoot
(no movement ) photography.
film holders aren't hard to find,
neither are bagmags ..
have fun!
john

Emmanuel BIGLER
24-Mar-2011, 01:42
Is this camera a graflex SLR ? (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef01347fe09384970c-pi)

Ash
24-Mar-2011, 02:25
Yes

Bill_1856
24-Mar-2011, 06:37
I've used 4x5 GRAFLEXs off and on for 60 years, never had one to fail, but beware -- they are slow and cumbersome beasties.
The Super D is worth having (comparted to the older models) because of the semi-automatic aperture.
My camera had been converted to Graflock back by Lens & Repro, which was worthwhile at the time because it allowed the use of Polaroid backs. Now, however, if I bought one it would be with the Graflex back to use bag-mags (which I love).
The 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 model is much, much smaller and lighter, and less of a PITA to use. When Edward Weston switched to the 4x5 models his portraits changed from exciting and often wonderful to hum-drum because he could no longer hand-hold the thing.
Using a roll-film adapter would seem to be a good idea, but I've not found it helpful. If I was in the market for a large SLR today, I would buy a Mamiya RB 67.

CCB
24-Mar-2011, 08:28
Can someone id the photographer shown in the MM photo?

tim o'brien
24-Mar-2011, 12:49
Is this camera a graflex SLR ? (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef01347fe09384970c-pi)

Yes. Looks like a 'D'.

I shoot a model 'B' in 3x4 size where bagmags, roll film and film holders can be found with a bit of search.

Using a roll-film adapter would seem to be a good idea, but I've not found it helpful. If I was in the market for a large SLR today, I would buy a Mamiya RB 67.

Much prefer to haul the 3x4 rb around to an rb. The rb of course is more versatile but has none of the class of my rb.

Can someone id the photographer shown in the MM photo?

No.

tim in san jose

Michael Cienfuegos
24-Mar-2011, 13:10
I agree, the 3x4 is MUCH easier to use, and I have plenty of film for the beast. I also have one roll film holder, makes it easier to shoot color film. :)

Sirius Glass
24-Mar-2011, 15:48

Yes, and I'll bet that chick next to it would probably make a really good model! :)

Steve

Robert A. Zeichner
24-Mar-2011, 16:11
I owned a 4x5 RB Super D for several years and enjoyed both the operation and results. It's particularly good for cold winter work if you are not inclined to carry a whole lot of gear and don't want to bother with a tripod or focusing cloth. I was able to make some very sharp negatives at a local campus which bars the use of tripods. I also feel the slotted Graflex style film holders are the best thing around. The steel clamps keep the holders flat and tight against the back and they facilitate easy and fast changing/flipping of the holder(s). The Kodak 190mm Ektar is a wonderfully sharp lens.

tim o'brien
25-Mar-2011, 09:55
Yes, and I'll bet that chick next to it would probably make a really good model! :)

Steve

If she wasn't dead. For close to 50 years.

tim in san jose

TheDeardorffGuy
29-Mar-2011, 18:37
I have two favorite GRAFLEX SLRs.
1. My 5x7 Compact Graflex SLR with a bagmag. Once I got all the dust out of it and the bagmag it runs just great. It came without a lens so I adapted a a Dagor and adjusted the ground glass to the focal plane because of a bit of body shrinkage.
2nd is a 1946 RB Series B. It has a fixed Ektar and an assortment of Rollfilm holders and a couple of BagMags found at a thriftshop for a buck each in their boxes. I felt the bags would be shot but they are soft.
Both of these cameras are fun to shoot with and yeild great images. The key is to dust them often. Too many places for dust to go and get sucked up on the film.

Lynn Jones
30-Mar-2011, 10:46
It sure looks like it, however several other manufacturers of LF SLR's competed over the years. I still have a 3.25x4.25 Graflex that has a 2.25x3.25 roll holder attached permanently.

Lynn

Ernest Purdum
30-Mar-2011, 17:52
Emmanuel, it looked like a nice Graflex SLR, once I got past a distraction.