PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Processing TriX 320 in Xtol for maximum compression of highlights and shadows?

l2oBiN
21-Mar-2011, 16:21
I would like to process trix320 in xtol for maximum compression of highlight to shadow details.ie I would like to compress large differences in captured light (eg exposed night shot with light sources perhaps 10+ev? rangr ) to a smaller range eg 5 range. I am running 6min development 1:1 and the negs are too contrasty. Should I try 4mins (~-30%)? kodak recommends min of 5mins... How about diluting the xtol more? Other suggestions?

Nathan Potter
21-Mar-2011, 18:04
I'd experiment with any number of divided developers. Some mixtures are given in the Anchell book "The Darkroom Cookbook". I'll often used the commercially available Diafine system. There are limits to the degree of contractions but you should be able to handle in excess of 10 stops. You'll have to do some test exposures and calibrations.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

venchka
21-Mar-2011, 19:59
I'm a huge fan of Xtol 1:3 going in the oposite direction. I doubt Xtol is up to your application.
Nate is on the right track. Search this forum for Pyrocat in a 2 bath application. Ken Lee has had good results with extreme contraction in daylight.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

l2oBiN
21-Mar-2011, 23:44
I have difine with me, but I have noticed that it gives me uneven skies..? Zooming in rotary for 4min and dev for 4min then water wash and fix...

Roger Cole
21-Mar-2011, 23:55
I have difine with me, but I have noticed that it gives me uneven skies..? Zooming in rotary for 4min and dev for 4min then water wash and fix...

Don't use rotary processing with Diafine. I have a Jobo but will use trays or my deep tanks and hangers for Diafine with sheet film, and always use regular tanks for 35mm with Diafine (of which I've done a lot with no unevenness.) Granted, I've never actually tried it in the Jobo, but the B solution is very sensitive to over agitation.

Since Diafine is practically insensitive to temperature variations as long as the minimums are observed, and the solutions last so long, there's little reason to use the Jobo.

frotog
23-Mar-2011, 15:10
There are certain applications that the jobo is not suited for. Contraction development is one of them. As mentioned here you might want to experiment with a compensating developer or try stand development.

l2oBiN
25-Mar-2011, 15:02
There are certain applications that the jobo is not suited for. Contraction development is one of them. As mentioned here you might want to experiment with a compensating developer or try stand development.

I beleive Sandy King has used diafine sucessfully in a jobo?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=38670&page=4