PDA

View Full Version : Gitzo made in Italy???

Leigh
21-Mar-2011, 14:43
I just bought a Gitzo G2270M tripod head, and it was made in Italy. :eek:

I thought their stuff was made in France. What gives? :confused:

- Leigh

Mark Sampson
21-Mar-2011, 15:11
Gitzo was bought out by Manfrotto a few years back. I hadn't known that they'd moved production, but that's what it looks like. Nothing wrong at all with Manfrotto's gear, they used to be marketed in the USA as Bogen. I'd bet that they're capable of making quality Gitzo hardware too.

Leigh
21-Mar-2011, 15:13
Yeah, I figured there was a Manfrotto tie-in. I wasn't aware that they bought Gitzo.

Manfrotto certainly makes good stuff. No qualms about that.

Thanks.

- Leigh

dave_whatever
21-Mar-2011, 15:31
Manfrotto and Gitzo are both owned by the same company, which probably explains why they don't directly compete with each other.

http://www.gitzo.com/about+Gitzo/who+is+vitec+group/Who+is+Vitec+Group/3660940

http://www.gitzo.com/about+Gitzo/history/History/3660924

As far as you can tell from the websites, both manfrotto and gitzo gear is made at the same factory/location in italy.

Leigh
22-Mar-2011, 08:55
Thanks for the update and links, Dave.

- Leigh

Roger Thoms
22-Mar-2011, 13:31
Yes, Gitzo is now made in Italy, I was curious a while back and emailed Gitzo and they confirmed that all production has been moved to Italy.

Roger

Frank Petronio
22-Mar-2011, 17:26
If it makes you feel any better, Arca-Swiss is made in France.

Dan Fromm
23-Mar-2011, 03:10
Guys, Vintec, the former tripod division of William Vinten, bought Gitzo and then Manfrotto, sells Vinten, Gitzo, and Manfrotto tripods. Manfrotto was acquired, didn't acquire.

Scott Knowles
23-Mar-2011, 09:16
Gee, let's see. Manfrotto owns Gitzo and Bogen (under the corporation group) and simply consolidated their production. The question in my mind is will Manfrotto decide to use Gitzo's design and technology in their products, will Gitzo change to Manfrotto's design and technology in their products, or will Manfrotto allow both to compete independently with common technology. In short who changes their products?

Dan Fromm
23-Mar-2011, 09:23
Scott, Vintec owns Gitzo, Manfrotto, and Bogen. Vintec decides, not Manfrotto.

Bob Salomon
23-Mar-2011, 10:20
Scott, Vintec owns Gitzo, Manfrotto, and Bogen. Vintec decides, not Manfrotto.

Not quite, Dan.
The owner is the Vitec Group. Not Vintec.

Vitec owns lots of other companies. Manfrotto and Gitzo are just part of it.

- Anton/Bauer
- Autoscript
- The Camera Store
- Litepanels
- Microwave Service Company
- Nucomm
- OConnor
- Petrol Bags
- RF Central
- Sachtler
- Vinten
- Vinten Radamec
- Avenger
- Brilliant Stages
- Gitzo
- Kata
- Litec
- Manfrotto
- Manfrotto Distribution
- National Geographic (manufactured & distributed under licence)
- Tomcat
- Bexel

Dan Fromm
23-Mar-2011, 12:39
The name changed, Bob. My bad.

Bob Salomon
27-Mar-2011, 15:42
They no longer honor the lifetime guarantee those of us who have older tripods got when we bought them.

Actually it wasn't a Gitzo lifetime warranty. It was a Karl Heitz lifetime warranty. Heitz was the importer of Gitzq before Bogen and the sale of Gitzo to Mafrotto. Since Heitz was the importer Bogen had no obligation to honor the old importer's warranty legally. And Karl died several years ago without being able to sell what remained of his company. So the company that was resposible for that warranty just dissolved and went away.

Bogen and Manfrotto never offered a lifetime warranty and neither did Gitzo.